• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Piggyx

Piggyx

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:55 AM

I'd like to know if any of you are willing to help someone who has been interested in witchcraft for a long time but doesn't know where to start. I can need advice and I don't mind work. I just need a push in the right direction. I've read some threads saying research, and I've read some threads saying put the book down and just do it. I guess I need some perspective on that. Please any suggestions or teaching would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:16 AM

The way I started was by picking one area to focus actively working on, while continuing to read more about actual systems, paths and histories, and also delving into personal introspection. What are you trying to achieve, what are your motivations, do you have spiritual beliefs, what's your background been so far, etc are good places to start.

For me, no specific system...no solid path...just some animism, my will, curiosity, and a couple of spirits. It feels like you have to pick something specific, but if nothing calls to you, do what feels right. Honestly? That's probably the hardest part, especially if a tradition or system doesn't call to you. But pieces eventually come together and you figure it out. Learn to listen to your intuition. If you get a sudden feeling that you should do something, try it out, it could become important to you.

You probably already have some skill already that you aren't considering as a helpful part of witching, but is actually important toward your success. Meditation and/or trance, visualizing, gardening, art, playing music...these can be used. What are your passions? Interests? Because you are even entertaining the idea, you have something already :)

I already was proficient with one type of divination when I began, so I began working on another while revisiting meditation (I used to meditate/trance and then quit for a period of time before beginning this path). From there, I just started trying things...things I thought of randomly, things I'd read somewhere, things I'd heard other people try, but most importantly, things that I was interested in.

Books can be good, but depending on what you're trying to do, don't lean on them too much. Getting going can be tough, but once you make some headway it gets better.

#3 Piggyx

Piggyx

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:25 AM

Thank you for the reply! I was actually interested in making my own runes and experimenting with that. I've ordered a few books on history and meanings of things so I'm hoping I can get some knowledge out of them. Knowledge that I can put towards runes or anything else I try. I'd like to be able to help people as well as my family

#4 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

For me, research and practice are equally important. Sometimes I develop a technique on my own and then research it, though. Books that I've found particularly helpful are; Mastering Witchcraft by Paul Huson and The Sorcerer's Secrets for getting the basics.  I like Peter Paddon and Robyn Artisson for understanding the principles behind the Craft. I like books by The Gallery of Magick for simple, effective rituals. A Deed Without a Name by Lee Morgan and Hedge Rider by Eric De Vrie are good for understanding hedge riding.

Also, learning to listen to your intuition is vital as well as listening to nature. Ancestor work is very important in a practice as well.

#5 Piggyx

Piggyx

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

Thank you anubha. I will be looking up those books. My mom was adopted so I don't know much about my ancestry.

#6 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

Welcome :)

As far as ancestry goes, just some ideas-  ancestors can be those we descended from. In which case getting a DNA test from 23 and me or ancestryDNA can be helpful. Ancestry even has a data base that connects you to relatives and is helpful in researching your family tree. These tests only show the DNA that is present in your body, from what I understand. It doesn't show whatever may be dormant.  So if you start getting visions of, say a welsh grandother when that lineage isn't showing up in tests, don't rule out that this may be an ancestor. Also, as a witch all witches are ancestors. You can also have ancestors that are not yet born as time is not linear in the spirit world.

#7 Piggyx

Piggyx

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

Ok thanks! I do have a family tree from my dad's side. That sides from britain.

#8 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:46 AM

Hold the bus, Gus. This is NOT a teaching forum. Never was, never will be. You can certainly learn a lot of valuable things from participating on these forums, but this is not the place for new people to hunt for teachers. 

As for you learning, who knows - maybe you will find something local to you, if you look around, such as a group to coven who is willing to take on students.

RSKHFMY

#9 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:30 AM

It never ceases to amaze me that people want to be 'taught' instead of Learning... and actually Practicing.

Half the times the ones who want to be taught (not all, but most) don't listen and don't practice worth a damn anyway.

Wanna learn? READ this entire forum and whatever books you think might be useful in learning the basics. Use common sense.

Then, get to work.

Practice. Practice. Practice.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#10 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:39 AM

Practice really is the best way to learn. Everything is different for each individual, and you'll never know if an approach works for you unless you put on your big witch pants and take it for a spin. Certainly teachers can arise - for moments, days, weeks, or years - but for the duration of the Pathwalking we are alone. Witchcraft is work. Witchcraft demands involvement to get better or to truly learn anything. Books are helpful, guidance can absolutely help, but if you're not willing to walk through the fog alone then...well, you're just not going to go anywhere.

RSKHFMY

#11 Pazuzu

Pazuzu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:47 AM

... although I dabbled in high school.. It wasnt until I found a teacher/mentor at my last job that I fully immersed myself in learning... After a while of that.. I decided that what I learned wasn't for me.. and decided to look on my own.. although I took a few aspects from my teacher... the majority of what I use now is what works for me.. which I found by reading books.. and whatever just.. felt right for me...
So instead of looking for a teacher.. just read the basics... like how magic works.. theories.. journals.. all that jazz.. and research aspects that really speak for you.. and just do what feels right.. What works for one person... might have no effect on another...

"Nilbog... it's Goblin spelled backwards!!"

#12 Piggyx

Piggyx

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:42 PM

I'm glad that some of you just assume that I'm not willing to do this alone. Maybe I should have said mentoring instead of teaching. Anyway thanks for your help.

#13 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:17 PM

Mentoring is the same thing - an inappropriate request for this forum.

RSKHFMY

#14 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:37 PM

I s'pose it's ok to mention resources and what we did ourselves, starting out. Like I started with basic meditation breathing, grounding, centering & shielding to manipulate energy in spell working. And honing my personal psychic ability to include sensitivity to other realms, whatever you think they are, to aid spirit communication. And i'd suggest a visit to another forum that does teach. It would probably be Wiccan-biased but the basics are adaptable. And I journal to help me get a handle on the things I want to learn about, and pin down my leaping, scattered thoughts. There are you tube sites like Molly Roberts Herspeak which is Wiccan and art, & more traditonal witchcraft Owl Vine Green & Mrshadowbwoy who I've found helpful as a beginner myself. Peter Paddon, Robin Artison, Sara Ann Lawless all have traditional witchcraft websites. Paddon made teaching DVDs in his CraftWise series. Check Amazon. They all do occasional book reviews. It all helps to get my head around the topics. Books and videos give us concepts, but we just have to jump in and try it first-hand to get anywhere.

I can give 2 common sense tips: always close what you open (which includes a compass, spirits, and spells), and never evoke what you don't know how to dismiss.

#15 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 06 May 2017 - 09:17 AM

This isn't a teaching forum, but I can give you a good tip: start reading the forums.  A large part of studying the occult is being scholarly and seeking out information on your own, there are plenty of reasons why information on witchcraft is hard to find including the fact that most people who practice closely guard their secrets.  If you're looking for eye of newt life shortcuts or love spells then perhaps you're looking in the wrong place.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."