• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlette

Scarlette

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:54 PM

I was working on a project with my son the other day and he had to define the word "intent" and give examples of how sometimes what one intends to do is not what they accomplish.  We came across the following definition:

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions is a proverb or aphorism. An alternative form is "Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works".

This sparked some deep thought about the subject as it applied to the craft.  The biggest component to any spell is the practitioners intention, your desire, wish, what you want to accomplish.  That intention is the first thought that set you on your path to create your recipe to achieve your goal.  If you decide on a long spell or one that involves a ritual, your intention is a constant in your mind while you gather your ingredients or create your incantation.   Your intention actually begins the magic that you will eventually create.  Your intention is everything!

But........are you sure you really know your intention?  Intent can be a wild animal and just when you think you know it well and are set on a path to see it through, there is a little voice in the back of your subconscious mind that may be saying something different then you intend.  A conflict of sorts.

What do I mean?  Well lets say that someone you care about has been injured or wronged by someone else.    You decide the wrong doer needs to be taught a lesson.  You have now developed an intent to cause harm or at least a consequence to wrong doer.  Admirable?  Perhaps.  Deserving?  Good possibility.  Do you want to kill them?  No, just a lesson.

So now armed with intention you set out to create your spell with good intention to teach a lesson.  But as you are gathering your things, making your plans, you keep the victim in your mind also.  In the back of your mind you are remembering a time when they angered you, or they themselves did you wrong and you are still a little miffed about that.  You move past it and back to your task.  There is already a problem.

What you choose or consciously decide to think about (the original wrong doer who needs a lesson) is not nearly as powerful as what your subconscious mind hears/thinks.  I compare it to your conscious mind playing at volume 6 while your subconscious mind is playing at 10 and has a video to go with it.   

Your plan is complete, your ingredients added, candles selected (if you use these to begin with) and you are set to go.  If you have called spirits, they are listening.  You state your intention, in or in addition to any incantation.  You continue your work until you feel it complete and you basically hit "send".  It is off.  

Then you remember that little thought that had popped into your head earlier and you realize that it had popped into your head a couple times while working.  That little voice that was introduced by a louder and more powerful part of your mind has just hijacked your spell.  You did not mean to get even with your friend, you meant to help them.  You did not intend to cast at them or teach them a lesson, I mean come on...that was years ago and you have forgiven them, right?.  You were helping them, you were enacting justice, you were defending them.  Weren't you?

I promise that the spell you just did is going to have an equal or greater effect upon the person you thought you were helping.  The seeds of doubt grow fast, don't water them.  If you think you can or can't, you are right.  (nice cliche) I never enter into any spell with even the smallest particle of doubt or with questionable intention.  You can not afford to.

This situation that I have used as an analogy and is a simple one but think about other big things.  And it can go both ways.

What if you are doing a love spell (ick) but deep down your are angry that you have to use magic to attract this person?  Anger is a more powerful emotion than most.  Anger is what is going to power your love spell, not love.  Both because anger holds power and because it is your subconscious in stereo saying anger while your quieter mind is singing acapella.  

What if you yourself have been harmed and you want revenge.  But you are not a dark and angry person and you are not comfortable with black (no such thing but have to put a word there to make a point) magic and you do not want to really hurt anyone.  So you decide on a lessor of the evils type spell just for a little jab at the person.  Depending how angry and how hurt you really are.......that spell is going to go wild and little jab will become something you never saw coming.

My point is that what you think you intend and what is really deep seated in the back of your mind, often time do not match.  Thus the phrase "the road to hell is paved with good intentions".  

This is also and especially true of doubt.   What I see in the craft all too often , are people just starting out and on the path of learning.  They read a book, think they got it and immediately jump to "canned" spells either from a book or a forum or the internet.  They have not developed their confidence because they lack all of the foundational knowledge they need to be completely confident in the task.  If you are doing a spell and thinking "I hope this works" or "this feels silly", it is not going to work.  After a few spells not working the person begins to doubt even more.  Any element of doubt in yourself is going to damage or completely dissolve your effort.  

Doubt is the killer of a rock hard intention.  You can everything perfect, have your intention totally in alignment and just preformed a ritual fit for Hollywood........it will be a dud because of that doubt.

How do you fix this?  If your intention is splitting, deal with it before you add magic to the mix.  If it is doubt that killed your spell it is a clear sign that you are not ready for spell work.  You need to find yourself on your path, figure out who and what you are and what you want from "magic".  For most Trads the answer is a way of life, not just spell work.  It is in our household, our kitchen, our cooking, our bathing...everything we do.  The way we treat a cold or celebrate a holiday or birthday.  It is everything.  When your life is in line with what you seek from the craft....doubt will be gone and your spells with be magical. 

Scarlette   

(who is heading off to wash dishes with my hand crafted dish soap because even the mundane in life has to be part of your craft)

Edited by Scarlette, 02 May 2017 - 08:03 PM.

Do what I want, that is the whole of my law!

#2 Scarlette

Scarlette

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:56 PM

:flyaway:

Edited by Scarlette, 02 May 2017 - 07:57 PM.

#3 aureliasolveigh

aureliasolveigh

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:43 PM

"What you choose or consciously decide to think about (the original wrong doer who needs a lesson) is not nearly as powerful as what your subconscious mind hears/thinks.  I compare it to your conscious mind playing at volume 6 while your subconscious mind is playing at 10 and has a video to go with it. "

I really like this analogy! I totally agree that it is really hard to wrangle your intent into what you want the spell to be, which is why I don't think spells can ever be completely pure. They're like human thoughts, complex. For example love is feelings of affection and happiness, but there is also fear that the other person won't love you back, jealousy, doubt, anger and all other shades of emotion. Therefore a love spell cannot just be purely affection, when thinking about someone you love you will be feeling all these other emotions as well.

In my opinion the only thing to do is to try and clear ones mind as much as possible, or look at everything in a positive light. I'm aware this is much much easier said than done though. Meditation before helps me, or looking over my crystals and reciting their names, picking which ones to use and runes to cast. The ritual before casting a spell helps me the most. Of course this is purely subjective, and depends entirely on how you cast spells.

Anyways, that was my piece, I'm a newbie so please forgive me if I say anything ignorant :) 

#4 Scarlette

Scarlette

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:07 AM

Those are some very good suggestions.  And you are correct, intention is very hard to harness, harder than some may think.  

Scarlette 

#5 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:44 AM

Fear is a big hindrance! A lot of people are afraid of success...that was where I was tripping up a lot. I still don't do a lot of big workings because I still have some baggage there. Not even magic related, but I'm trying to study for this exam that I have to take. I'm more afraid of passing than failing, deep inside I think, because once I pass I can't even fathom the next step. It's ambiguous and it's uncomfortable. With this in mind, the last thing I'm going to do about this is try to cast a spell for it, lol.

With success comes pressure. Sometimes it's all in the subconsicous, but being aware of that tendency for people who have it is crucial.

Edited by Madame, 03 May 2017 - 02:47 AM.

#6 Scarlette

Scarlette

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:08 PM

Very good points.  I had not considered fear but after reading what you have written I agree and see where the fear of a successful outcome either good or bad could makes waves in the silence that you need.  Fear holds us back from all kinds of success.  I will never be rich because I fear it.  I know I would be completely irresponsible with excess money, it would be gone as fast as I got it.  I would change who I am and I do not want to become that "person" you see who has more money than brains.  LOL  I do not do any kind of crafting to attract riches or assets because I know that about myself.  Beyond that, fear never enters into my spell work.  I have had things happen that may startle me or have scared me at the time but it is not usually something that hinders me from the start.  

So what are your suggestions to get past fear when it, instead of intent or doubt, is what is controlling the spell?

Scarlette    :hearts: 

#7 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:49 AM

Very good points.  I had not considered fear but after reading what you have written I agree and see where the fear of a successful outcome either good or bad could makes waves in the silence that you need.  Fear holds us back from all kinds of success.  I will never be rich because I fear it.  I know I would be completely irresponsible with excess money, it would be gone as fast as I got it.  I would change who I am and I do not want to become that "person" you see who has more money than brains.  LOL  I do not do any kind of crafting to attract riches or assets because I know that about myself.  Beyond that, fear never enters into my spell work.  I have had things happen that may startle me or have scared me at the time but it is not usually something that hinders me from the start.  

So what are your suggestions to get past fear when it, instead of intent or doubt, is what is controlling the spell?

Scarlette    :hearts: 

I can relate to that fear with money, especially if it comes as a windfall. It's just trading one set of problems for another!  

Fear, regardless of what it is of, is so primal and deep seated (similarly to anger), that IMO it takes some heavy introspection and longer term inner work to really get to the root of the issue so that it can be worked through. In my case, with my fear of "success," it's been a lot of meditation, contemplation, and even talking it out with friends and relatives who I can confide in. It's a long ass journey, but the more I understand where it stems from the easier it has become to slowly dismantle it. And the more work I've done toward eliminating it, the better results I've had in anything I've put my mind to. Sometimes, getting to the root cause of a fear ends up revealing yet another puzzle to solve before the whole thing can finally become better understood. Some fears are smaller and easier to overcome, even after just a few minutes of honest and introspective thought, but I feel like once you have the slightest inkling of fear it's worthwhile to stop and work through it before proceeding, unless you're okay with the way the fear can alter a spell or other working. With some workings fear is simply always going to be there in some capacity, for some people, but with spells I feel like that needs to be dealt with first.

Anger and fear to me go hand in hand...in my experience, anger frequently results from fear. Say someone's angry that their spouse is talking to someone else, that seems to stem from a fear of being left for another or being less attractive than another or what have you. People that I've known with anger issues tend to be positively terrified of something or many things at their core. 

Edited by Madame, 04 May 2017 - 12:50 AM.

#8 Scarlette

Scarlette

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 02:03 PM

Very good points and well put.  I have to say that I am glad to have posted this here and gotten some valuable input.  I also posted it another forum that I frequent with a lot less intelligible response.  You offer much to think about to anyone else reading these posts.  Yes, I agree that anger and fear are often times partnered and it best to try to keep both out of spell work when possible.

#9 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:30 AM

This brings to mind: "witch, know thyself". Knowing yourself is your greatest weapon in witchcraft. This also sounds like a problem I have some experience with: difficulty in aiming your work. You might have a big gun, but your aim is, erm.....a little off. You can hit people you didn't intend to, or hit with a wider or narrower spray than anticipated. 

RSKHFMY

#10 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:33 AM

Another way to remedy this just came to mind. It is not the only way, obviously, and for some may not be the most effective way, but programming a fetch to carry your work can be very handy. Made of your own creation with strict instructions, it can go a long way to weasel around working against your nature if emotions and cognitive dissonance play a significant role in your casting.

RSKHFMY

#11 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:47 AM

Very good points and well put.  I have to say that I am glad to have posted this here and gotten some valuable input.  I also posted it another forum that I frequent with a lot less intelligible response.  You offer much to think about to anyone else reading these posts.  Yes, I agree that anger and fear are often times partnered and it best to try to keep both out of spell work when possible.

This forum is unlike any other I've posted on, regardless of topic. The discussions are deep, and as far as posting goes, there's a vibe here that makes one think carefully about what they say instead of wordvomitting everywhere. It's unlike most corners of the internet!

Another way to remedy this just came to mind. It is not the only way, obviously, and for some may not be the most effective way, but programming a fetch to carry your work can be very handy. Made of your own creation with strict instructions, it can go a long way to weasel around working against your nature if emotions and cognitive dissonance play a significant role in your casting.

This is an awesome suggestion!

#12 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:39 PM

Stupid questions time:

Wouldn't the programmed fetch still have the fingerprints of the Creator?

Is it realistic to attempt to 'get around' yourself without doing the work to overcome what hinders 'you'  in the first place?

Edited by Nikki, 05 May 2017 - 02:40 PM.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#13 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

With a lot of work, you could get around it. Of course at that point you're putting a lot of energy into covering up a problem instead of fixing it.

RSKHFMY

#14 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

AGREED.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#15 GhostAndTheWolf

GhostAndTheWolf

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

everything said in the post and the comments make since and I see the importance of having a clear calm mind when doing spell work but ive read in other posts in the forum where some folks will say that its not so much a bad thing to do a working while the emotion that feeds the INTENT is at its most raw and genuine peak and I feel like for myself anyways that when I am feeling whatever emotion it is at the time and I cant think about anything else but anger, hate, love or kindness and sympathy...does this make since?

anyways thanks for post thing because it helps me to always stay sharp and clear/careful of my intentions.

Edited by GhostAndTheWolf, 04 September 2017 - 06:42 PM.

For gods' sakes we've suffered, this pain is now our lives,

For gods sakes we've suffered enough. - C. Taylor & J. Root

#16 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:48 PM

"What you choose or consciously decide to think about (the original wrong doer who needs a lesson) is not nearly as powerful as what your subconscious mind hears/thinks.  I compare it to your conscious mind playing at volume 6 while your subconscious mind is playing at 10 and has a video to go with it. "

I really like this analogy! I totally agree that it is really hard to wrangle your intent into what you want the spell to be, which is why I don't think spells can ever be completely pure. They're like human thoughts, complex. For example love is feelings of affection and happiness, but there is also fear that the other person won't love you back, jealousy, doubt, anger and all other shades of emotion. Therefore a love spell cannot just be purely affection, when thinking about someone you love you will be feeling all these other emotions as well.

In my opinion the only thing to do is to try and clear ones mind as much as possible, or look at everything in a positive light. I'm aware this is much much easier said than done though. Meditation before helps me, or looking over my crystals and reciting their names, picking which ones to use and runes to cast. The ritual before casting a spell helps me the most. Of course this is purely subjective, and depends entirely on how you cast spells.

Anyways, that was my piece, I'm a newbie so please forgive me if I say anything ignorant :)

Being a newbie doesn't mean you are ignorant. I thought it was a very good point.

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#17 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:52 PM

This brings to mind: "witch, know thyself". Knowing yourself is your greatest weapon in witchcraft. This also sounds like a problem I have some experience with: difficulty in aiming your work. You might have a big gun, but your aim is, erm.....a little off. You can hit people you didn't intend to, or hit with a wider or narrower spray than anticipated. 

It also reminds me of the old saying... "To know, to dare, to will and to be silent."

)0( Tana )o(

If I break faith with thee, may the skies fall upon me, the seas drown me, and the earth rise up and swallow me.

#18 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:13 AM

Noscere, audere, velle, tacere. One of my favorite sayings.

RSKHFMY

#19 Tana

Tana

Earth Mother

• Moderators
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

What Ravenshaw said!  :roflhard:

)0( Tana )o(