• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

As someone who does both fortune telling and tarot (I understand that tarot can be a medium for fortune telling, but my relationship with tarot is a bit different), I often find myself torn on the whys, hows and what exactly is being tapped into when doing it. I don't directly reach out to spirits when I use my fortune telling cards, but my success rate was always eerily high. So high that I put the cards away for a long ass time and focused on Tarot instead. I'm gradually going back to my old practice and while I tend to just accept it, I'll admit that it doesn't really jive well with my understanding of the future. It's not static, so how the eff does it even work? Is it really all simple coincidence? I never really was one for mere coincidences, maybe I'm completely wrong, though. Is it tapping into some collective subconscious, along with the non-linear time theories?

I'd like to start a general discussion about this type of practice. What are your thoughts and experiences? Do you practice it? Are you against it? What's your idea about time and the future?

#2 Steriki

Steriki

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:59 PM

This is so interesting since I've been wondering about similar things recently. If I can add my two cents... I believe that when I work with fortune cards (or tarrot) I unconsciously reach out to spirits. This scares the crap out of me because I'm scared of them but there you have it. I often say my deck has a personality of its own but in my heart I actually suspect that that's a spirit's personality shining through possibly mixed with a reflection of my own.
But back to the topic, I believe spirits are involved even if we don't explicitly request it. And as for the scary accuracy, I also think that they view time differently than we do, almost as though they can move forward and backwards in it. I often wonder why they are willing to share this information with us, and if there isn't a hidden price payed for it. Knowing the future, and knowing that your knowledge is accurate, can sometimes be a curse in itself.
I hope my ramblings make a little sense.

*Not all who wander are lost *

#3 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 02:56 AM

I go back and forth with it being spirits...I've definitely had a spirit come to me during a Tarot reading so I know that it's within the realm of possibility. The nature of time is what I think I struggle with here. If spirits can move through time, then the future must be static for them to know? I'm not much of a fate person, but maybe some specific things are fate? 

Agreed about knowing the future being a burden. I quit doing fortunate telling for a reason! I'm approaching my return to it carefully. So long as I don't get a migraine contemplating what "time" is, lol

#4 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 03:35 AM

I read playing cards, lenormand and tarot. I do ask my ancestors and familiar spirit for help when I read. Sometimes I also work with divinatory spirits specifically. I definitely consider what I'm doing to be fortunetelling, not an insight into the psyche -- but that may be fact that I don't read with the RWS. I just read the cards. I don't believe in coincidence.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#5 NorthernPilgrim

NorthernPilgrim

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

I read playing cards, lenormand and tarot. I do ask my ancestors and familiar spirit for help when I read. Sometimes I also work with divinatory spirits specifically. I definitely consider what I'm doing to be fortunetelling, not an insight into the psyche -- but that may be fact that I don't read with the RWS. I just read the cards. I don't believe in coincidence.

Ah, I know where you're coming from. And yes, I read all three types of cards and I consider what I do fortunate telling, too. I ask some spirits to help when I read, but rather than help me "see into the future" I ask them to help me see what is lost to the querent and me, i.e. the blind spots. Perhaps I put too much focus on the present in my fortune telling. After all, I think the revelation of the blind spots is sublime and transcendental, maybe even better than simply knowing the future.

And yes, I consider what I do merely reading the damn cards.

#6 Nikki

Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 04:51 AM

This is such an interesting subject to me. I do ZERO cards, divination and such. I really don't see the point of it.

Since the future isn't set in stone, there are too many variables that ripple and shift outcomes.  It seems like a fool's errand to me.

If I get a 'message' or vision of a future event, I pay attention. Don't go looking for it, though.

I do like what NorthernPilgrim said about 'blind spots' -- that's something you can work with now. 

Madame, you ask some deep ass questions.

Questions I've pondered about my craft, too. Sometimes it's ancestors, sometimes it's Spirit, sometimes it's a guardian, sometimes it's me, sometimes it's luck.

The challenge for me was learning how to differentiate between ancestors, Spirit, guardians, my own ability, or dumb luck... Cuz I get pings from all angles.

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#7 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:04 AM

For me it depends. The cards are merely a medium. If I'm using them to read info from a spirit, then it's connected to a spirit. If I'm using it for something else, then it's something else - could be many things. I call me connecting to others "the current". Sometimes I read from ancestors. There are many sources you can tap into. The cards are just paper with images on them. It either comes from your own power and mind, or they act as a "keyboard" for spirits IF you're working with spirits. It's never a good idea to work with something if you don't know what you're connecting to - ever watch The Exorcist? ;)

RSKHFMY

#8 Pazuzu

Pazuzu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:36 AM

... I'm a sucker for Spirit Boards.. been using them since I was in high school (About 15 years ago)... Most of the time I've been contacting the same 'spirit'.. Everyone keeps telling me that spirits cant tell the future, and if I'm getting anything from my board about the future.. then its not a spirit.. because they cant tell the future.. -.- ... I, personally, dont give a fuck WHAT I'm communicating with.. because not only the 'readings' (or sessions.. or whatever you call a Spirit Board Reading) improve my life.. (My board told me.. the very day.. that I would be contacted for a job interview and how to land the job.. which worked.. and where to find stuff the previous owner of my house left in the woods.. which are extremely valuable...) but they literally SAVE my life.. warned me of traffic accidents, streets to avoid (I refused to walk down a certain street after with my friends.. and took a detour.. only to find out my friends got mugged).. So for 15 years.. I've been getting nothing but positive results from my board.. If it was evil.. it had plenty of opportunities to fuck my shit up.. but it hasn't.. and kept me safe.. so no idea WHAT I'm communicating with.. but it doesnt feel malevolent... and even tells me to get off my ass and help my family with chores on the farm... Literally...
But that's mainly what I use to ask about the future.. ~\_(0.0)_/~

"Nilbog... it's Goblin spelled backwards!!"

#9 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:42 AM

If your readings help you, have saved your life, have gotten you jobs, why don't you care about finding out who you're talking to? Perhaps it's a spirit who has your back such as an ancestor or guide, and perhaps you would greatly benefit by forming a clearer relationship with them. And if they're a spirit who can communicate so clearly, and WANTS a relationship with you even if you've done nothing to give them anything back (may not be the case but this is what it sounds like from your post) then it's even more important to find out who it is. It is either someone/thing very protective and loving or something trying to build your trust to really whack you good. 

RSKHFMY

#10 Pazuzu

Pazuzu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:48 AM

If your readings help you, have saved your life, have gotten you jobs, why don't you care about finding out who you're talking to? Perhaps it's a spirit who has your back such as an ancestor or guide, and perhaps you would greatly benefit by forming a clearer relationship with them. And if they're a spirit who can communicate so clearly, and WANTS a relationship with you even if you've done nothing to give them anything back (may not be the case but this is what it sounds like from your post) then it's even more important to find out who it is. It is either someone/thing very protective and loving or something trying to build your trust to really whack you good.

Shit.. your right.. i never even thought about that.. i kinda feel like a dick now.. I'm gonna try and find out..

"Nilbog... it's Goblin spelled backwards!!"

#11 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:24 AM

This is such an interesting subject to me. I do ZERO cards, divination and such. I really don't see the point of it.

Since the future isn't set in stone, there are too many variables that ripple and shift outcomes.  It seems like a fool's errand to me.

If I get a 'message' or vision of a future event, I pay attention. Don't go looking for it, though.

I do like what NorthernPilgrim said about 'blind spots' -- that's something you can work with now. 

Madame, you ask some deep ass questions.

Questions I've pondered about my craft, too. Sometimes it's ancestors, sometimes it's Spirit, sometimes it's a guardian, sometimes it's me, sometimes it's luck.

The challenge for me was learning how to differentiate between ancestors, Spirit, guardians, my own ability, or dumb luck... Cuz I get pings from all angles.

Your ideas resonate with me, a lot here...if I hadn't picked up fortune telling as a teen, with such rapid success, I probably wouldn't mess with cards, either, to be honest. But I did, and in a way, that ended up being my intro to this world. I didn't grapple with it so much then because I had been some kind of "Christian" so fate was sort of my thing back then, but now I'm where you are, and it's really difficult to wrap my head around. I've heard it said that the cards simply point out the most logical conclusion if one's trajectory continues on the same course, but man, I've had some experiences with that not even being the case in some of my past reads.

The thing about "blind spots" is more or less what I do with Tarot. I use Tarot for almost everything that doesn't have to do with "the future," (except for when it does without my prodding, if that makes sense?) I've connected to spirits, been able to consider that which I haven't considered regarding any circumstance, insight to others' perspectives and possible motives, and other things like that.

That very last paragraph has been probably the hardest part of this path I think. Harder than crafting a spell, harder than meeting a guide, harder than anything else. Everything else (for me) but divination, just until now! My thoughts about divination have changed and morphed over the 16 or so years that I've been doing it.

That's the beauty of this path, though, it's always keeping you on your toes and making you think.

I met my doppelgaenger in my kitchen last night. Saw it head on, before it blended back into the background, like a chameleon. Part of me is wondering how well I should be eating, if the lore is true and death is coming, but then I got to doing some digging around and began to think about multiverse theory, the idea of imprints in time, etc...seems an odd "coincidence" given the amount of thought I've been spending on the nature of time. She wore clothes that I own, but not the clothing that I was wearing that night. She wasn't like an apparition, or sickly looking...she just gave me the "WTF are you doing in my house, Imma murder you!" fight-or-flight look that I was definitely giving her as well. Maybe some dimensions did overlap, and maybe in that other dimension she's also sharing it here...or maybe next week I'll be wearing the same outfit, certain that I hear or see something that doesn't belong...

Edited by Madame, 05 May 2017 - 06:25 AM.

#12 Holdasown

Holdasown

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

I use cards when reading for others. While I ask for my dead and the persons dead to come and give messages I don't feel spirit when I use them. I have a black mirror I use to communicate with my dead. I definitely fell spirit then. I ask for guidance just sit to see what messages they have. I wasn't sure I would like the mirror but I love it. The images are much clearer than I expected. Those are really the only two I use. But I don't think messages always have to be about the future. 

Edited by Holdasown, 25 May 2017 - 06:46 PM.