11 replies to this topic

#1 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:42 AM

I suffer from PTSD with disassociative flashbacks. Recently, I was told by my doctor that I am mentally unstable due to an episode that I had. I immediately went searching for what could be causing me to disassociate and, with much research, I ended up finding information about Adrenal Fatigue. You see, I've gone through trauma my whole life (starting at age 3) and I am now 24. I've only had one year trauma free and yet, it's been the worst year for recovery from PTSD. Turns out, taking myself away from the trauma was pretty damaging but, at the same time, a huge part of my recovery. 

Adrenal fatigue is characterized by: 

• difficulty getting up in the morning
  • high levels of fatigue each day
  • inability to handle stress
  • cravings for salty foods
  • higher energy levels in the evenings
  • overuse of stimulants like caffeine
  • a weak immune system

The things that have helped me so far in my recovery process are Ashwagandha Root and Ginseng. Both of these are adaptogens, of which help with stress relief and resetting the adrenal glands. I thought, "Well, it couldn't hurt. It makes sense that I would have adrenal fatigue with all of the stress that I've had in my life."

Voila! I'm able to withstand stress and deal with things, have better energy levels, and have a better overall mental health and it's only been a week. I noticed effects immediately and I only feel better each day that I take it. Here's to hoping that I don't have to depend on it for the rest of my life. I definitely hope anyone else who is looking to deal with PTSD and is having a horrible time finding anything that works for them can take this information and use it to feel better themselves.

Anyone else who has experienced a similar response to these supplements, please comment. I found both of these in the vitamins and supplements section at WALMART (I went here because it's cheaper to try out to begin with before moving on to other stores in search of a better product). 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Peregrine

#2 Levinthross

Levinthross

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 08:41 AM

i use ginseng pretty regular for the adaptogenic qualities but i really think my adrenals have found nettle leaf infusions immensely helpful and trying to use that pink salt

#3 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:42 PM

I love ashwaganda. Another thing that helps me during stressful times is gaba, an amino acid.

#4 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:24 AM

I've never used either of those but motherwort is good for anxiety and stress!
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#5 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

I've never used either of those but motherwort is good for anxiety and stress!

How do you use the motherwort? In a tea?

#6 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:04 AM

Might have to give these a try.  I have an appointment with the god of all neuroendocrinologists to pin down precisely what is going on, but, as such, her availability is quite limited, and the appointment quite far off.

Glad you found something that worked for you, Anubha!

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#7 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:43 PM

Might have to give these a try.  I have an appointment with the god of all neuroendocrinologists to pin down precisely what is going on, but, as such, her availability is quite limited, and the appointment quite far off.

Glad you found something that worked for you, Anubha!

Hey, thanks Aurelian! Good luck with your neuroendocrinologist appointment. There sure are a lot of fatigued members here. :mellow:

Edited by Anubha, 02 May 2017 - 09:43 PM.

#8 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:07 PM

Hey. Good luck Aurelain! Hopefully you get good results. I've given up on docs at the time being. They're not even trying to figure out what is wrong with me. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Peregrine

#9 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:20 PM

How do you use the motherwort? In a tea?

In a tincture made with fresh plant :)

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#10 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 05:54 PM

In a tincture made with fresh plant :)

Nice! I'll have to put that on my to-do-someday list :)

#11 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:47 PM

I am glad you found something that works for ya!

I urge those who fear they may be suffering adrenal fatigue to have a saliva cortisol test done to find out first. Some adrenal herbs can actually make things so much worse if you arent truly in adrenal fatigue. 

I also recommend having the thyroid tested as well. Tsh, free t3, free t4, anti tpo, anti tg, as adrenal fatigue often goes hand in hand with a low thyroid. 

#12 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:53 AM

I will definitely say that I should have added the disclaimer to consult with a doctor before using this and to get testing done. 

Flying Peregrine

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adrenal fatigue, PTSD, Herbal Remedy