12 replies to this topic

#1 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

So in April I will be in Reykjavik, London, Prague, and Berlin.
I was wondering if anyone knew of any great little or big witchy type shops to visit.
I am already planning on Treadwells in London but are there other shops.
Certain museums or sites that someone "should" visit.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#2 AlyssaBlackthorne

AlyssaBlackthorne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:17 AM

There's another store not too far from treadwells called the atlantis bookstore. It's quite similar to treadwells, so maybe good to visit both in hopes of finding something that catches your eye? ^^  There's also a shop called Wicca Moon, I haven't visited it myself but it has great reviews. 

#3 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 04:45 AM

Unfortunetly I personally can't help with your inquiry, having never traveled to those places.

However-i love the topic- I hope we can keep it going. Whenever I am traveling to a new place I try to research and find things of "special" interest.

I have found the website Atlas Obscura to be especially helpful in finding interesting and typically non- touristy things of interest in the past. That might be worth a look. http://www.atlasobscura.com Just toggle the menu in the upper right corner and put in a location.

Good luck ! Have fun:)

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#4 Yex

Yex

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:16 AM

I've never been to any of those cities (save for Berlin for a night or two some years ago, but I didn't go to any magical shops there), but:

Having, once again, never been to London myself, I'd like to second Alyssa Blackthorne's recommendation of Atlantis Books. It was founded in 1922, and it used to be a huge hub of major magical activity - the people who hung out there are a veritable "who's who" of 20th century occult history. 

I agree that this thread could be a great resource - let's keep it going! 

Edited by Yex, 19 March 2017 - 07:16 AM.

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
But the heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

#5 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 03:59 AM

I've discovered

In Reykjavik The Soreceres Cottage and the Icelandic Sorcery and Witchcraft museum in Hólmavík Iceland.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#6 witchynovice

witchynovice

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 11:24 AM

+1 to Treadwells, it's amazing. I go often. I've not yet been to Atlantis, but as everyone has said, it's got the history. I found both via this post - a little more "spiritual" than trad path, but might be worth a read: http://www.amygarner...hops-in-london/

#7 Sengdroma

Sengdroma

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:57 PM

Ok so not in any of the places that you have spoken about ... but in my next of the woods ..... The Museum of Witchcraft in Boscastle Cornwall and king Arthur seat at  Tintagel Cornwall.

#8 seacow

seacow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:14 PM

I've been to Wicca Moon in Eltham, it was ok. Pretty much what you'd expect from a place called "Wicca Moon", but at least back then they had a nice selection of herbs, resins and such. This was years ago tho, 9 years maybe? So it might have changed some. I also remember a shop in Maidstone, Kent. It's a train ride away from London, but not too far, takes about an hour if I remember correctly.

#9 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

Okay guys, about to go to Hawaii.  Specifically Maui near Wailea.  I have never been before (very exciting).  Wondered if anyone has any recommendations akin to the topic of this thread?  From the little research I have done it seems like a lot of the archeological mystical sites are on other islands.  Anyone know anything about "the night marchers?"

#10 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:08 PM

There's one on Maui, in Lahaina. Hang on...let me see if I can find it.

ETA: womenwhorunwithwolves.com They bill themselves as "more than a boutique". Clothing, jewelry, some candles & stuff. It's more mainstream than not but...

There are a couple more in other cities on the island - if you google "maui metaphysical store", they'll come up.

Enjoy your trip - Maui is gorgeous! (We plan on going back next year.)

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#11 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:54 PM

I feel a bit bad about criticising Wicca Moon because they really seem to be a group of ladies who mean well. But they do push their Wicca a bit much for my liking. They sweep you into the store with a Merry Meet and bless you throughout the visit. That said they do have a pretty good range of herbs and incense, the prices are ok and they are very helpful with suggestions. I would imagine this is an ideal place for a person just starting out and looking for a bit of friendly guidance as well as a good supply of craft related consumables. For a witch wanting to make a purchase in peace, not so ideal.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#12 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:31 PM

Thanks guys:)

#13 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:24 AM

Well I do not know anything about stores in Hawaii so I can't  help with that, but Since this thread is about store worldwide I thought I would add something of interest.

I am pretty sure I mentioned this on another thread about Canadian stores.

This store, International Herbs; 29 ST. Andrew ST. In the Kensington Market, Toronto Ontario, Canada

Not just herbs. Incense, candles of all sorts and sizes, floor washes, oils, statuary.

Ridiculously cheap Shea or Cocoa butter, odd things like snake skin and laundry bluing balls.

You name it.

It is fun to explore around the dark corners!

https://www.yelp.ca/...l-herbs-toronto

The owner told me about a year ago they were working on a web site, but apparently there is nothing yet.

Anyway, if any of you are ever in Toronto, they have very reasonable prices and a good selection of   

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake