Photo
- - - - -

Any good readings on God's and Goddesses?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:06 PM

I am looking to understand what and who exactly God's and Goddesses are. I see so many books and articles and postings online that talk about them and inviting them to work with you and such and all of it seems like it's a bit of careless carefree musings without any real understandings, knowledge or backbone.

I am just very confused on all of this and I know the answer will vary person to person. Do people believe God's and Goddess are real entities? Do they believe they Were once human or living? Are they just names given to energy? Are they names given to energies that have become created as off branching of the God and God aspect of all that is?

I have a hard time understanding all of this so if there are any good places to read about this, I'd love to know!

I've read some Wiccan views but there doesn't seem to be much knowing there vs putting a name to something.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Kalinia, 01 February 2017 - 07:07 PM.

#2 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:05 PM

Kalina, blue-moon-manor.com has a page on this topic. It does say that there is a wide spectrum of beliefs about the gods in Tradtional Witchcraft. I have found, interacting with other witches and reading books, watching youtube, etc. that this is true. Some believe they are thought forms that need us to survive or energies that we personify. Some believe that they are archetypes in the human unconscious.  Some believe that dieties are separate powerful beings who exist in their own right.

I believe the latter. I honestly didn't know what to believe until fairly recently. I believed in God and Jesus when I was young and continued to believe there was some creative intelligence at work in my life. I worked with Venus in a spell once. It felt like I was interacting with a soft, beautiful energy but it didn't feel like a separate entity to me really. This past October, the day after Halloween, a diety revealed Herself to me. And I understand now that she has helped me and appeared in my dreams for years. Her energy is powerful, intense and feels completely independent of me. The relationship feels like a teacher/student or big sis/little sis. That's my experience.

Edited by Anubha, 02 February 2017 - 07:12 PM.

#3 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

Thank you for the reply. This is what makes following my path hard. There is different beliefs and followings for everyone. Makes it hard to know what is real, if that makes sense?

#4 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:43 PM

I understand. To me it seems like the Craft is more akin to the realm of feeling or art rather than more left brain subjects in that there is no absolute right or wrong but rather different interpretations of what is sensed. Esoteric knowlege also seems to evolve and change like a living thing or a relationship, maybe. It has been difficult for me, at times, to have no concrete answers. And you're welcome :)

Edited by Anubha, 03 February 2017 - 08:45 PM.

#5 Deawic

Deawic

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:37 AM

Arch angels and ascended masters by Doreen virtue has some decent info on many gods and goddesses, though some of the book seems to leave out some of the darker aspects, it does have some great starting info. Keep searching! Even if you don't find what your looking for, your bound to find enough interesting tidbits to keep ya goin lol. A personal rule of my own that hasn't led me astray so far is when working with another being, be it a guide or god/goddess or what have you, is I state something along the lines of " this is what I'm doing or curious about, your welcome to help of your own will if you'd like and would be very appreciated all the same". I do this because on a personal level I've always thought and felt if I've asked for something then something may be asked in return and depending on the being you never know what it may be, but if they help of Thier own accord, well that's something to be even more appreciative of right? And in another way, when you give a gift or offering before or after (if that's what you do) it's clear that it was meant for them even without their help. I kinda see it as a sign of deeper respect. But like you said kalinia, everyone's answer may very. I love that about this site!

Edited by Deawic, 05 February 2017 - 02:39 AM.

#6 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 02:42 AM

I will look into that! I have been using Doreens Goddess Oracle deck daily and really am enjoying the cards. Thank you for the suggestion. I also appreciate your way of thinking and what you say in regards to other beings working with you.

#7 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:26 AM

I used to work with a Slavic goddess in my pagan days. If you are interested in working with deities, they will offer patronage from what I understand. Some traditional witches work with deities, but from what I understand that is rare. I hope you find what you're looking for.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#8 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 03:52 PM

I used to work with a Slavic goddess in my pagan days. If you are interested in working with deities, they will offer patronage from what I understand. Some traditional witches work with deities, but from what I understand that is rare. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Yes, I forgot to mention that most of the members here that I've talked to don't work with deities. There seem to be more people who work with ancestors. For myself, I wouldn't say that I work with deities presently but that I have a relationship with one. It's more like the interaction one would have with ancestors. And actually, this deity is also an ancestor according to mythology.

#9 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

I just keep reading so much about them, and its hard to wrap myself around exactly who and what they are. 

#10 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

I just keep reading so much about them, and its hard to wrap myself around exactly who and what they are. 

No one can really answer that for you.  It is going to have to come down to your own personal feelings on the matter.  That will be based on your own experiences.  Everyone's experience is different.

My advise on researching deities is this;  don't try to learn about them all at once,  that would be overwhelming to say the least.  Pick one or two to start with that interest you most.  

Maybe you even feel called,  or  someone has reached out to you.   Perhaps you feel a pull toward,  or have connections to  a specific culture or tradition.  You could start there.

Then, go deep.  I would suggest avoiding the new age or modern ideas of deity for the most part.  I am not saying none of it has value, but much of it is someones personal imaginings or experiences, and can be very misleading.

Delve into the old lore and texts wherever you can,  that can tell you an awful lot.

For example,  if you want to know about the Christian god, read the bible old and new testament,  perhaps the book of Enoch and such if you want to even go deeper. If you want to know about Muhammad, start with the Quran.

If you want to know about about Krishna,  read the Bhagavad Gita,  or Brahma,  the Vedas. Those would tell you much about Hindu mythology and beliefs as well.

Sacred texts would be a great resource, at least a starting point,  for studies in nearly any culture,  religion,  pantheon or system of belief you could want to read about.  Here is the link;   http://www.sacred-texts.com/world.htm

This may sound like a daunting task,  but there really is no easy way as far as I am concerned.  There is no encyclopedia that condenses all the useful info into one nice,  easy to digest package.

Some may think that the old texts have no place in the modern world, and the roles of the deities have changed now anyway.

Perhaps there is some truth to that,  but remember this;  whatever anyone believes they are,  they are without a doubt ancient and vast,  and their roots go far and deep.

They do not necessarily care that the world has changed.

I am looking to understand what and who exactly God's and Goddesses are. I see so many books and articles and postings online that talk about them and inviting them to work with you and such and all of it seems like it's a bit of careless carefree musings without any real understandings, knowledge or backbone.

I am just very confused on all of this and I know the answer will vary person to person. Do people believe God's and Goddess are real entities? Do they believe they Were once human or living? Are they just names given to energy? Are they names given to energies that have become created as off branching of the God and God aspect of all that is?

I have a hard time understanding all of this so if there are any good places to read about this, I'd love to know!

I've read some Wiccan views but there doesn't seem to be much knowing there vs putting a name to something.

Thanks for reading!

Who and what one thinks they are of course will vary from person to person,  as you said yourself.  

In my experience and research it also varies from deity to deity,  culture to culture, ect., further complicating things.  

For some cultures for whom ancestor worship is the major practice, certain ancient ancestors have no doubt become gods and goddesses. Some seem to have been something else originally, such as a nature spirit.

I personally believe that some could have been powerful thought-forms, fed and maintained over many years until they become independent entities, possibly.

Some were very likely human emotions, energy or natural phenomena personified.

I do hope I did not just majorly complicate your search. I am sorry, but there really is no simple answer.

Edited by Solanaceae, 05 February 2017 - 08:48 PM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#11 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 11:00 PM

Thank you so much for such a thorough response. I will look into all of that. For me I havnt personally connected with any deity that I know of. When I say God and Goddess in anything that I do, I am referring to masculine and feminine energies and names to all masculine and feminine aspects /energies. Perhaps there are so many and names to all.. But who knows!

#12 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 01:00 AM

I suppose the conflicting opinions on the nature of deities isn't helped much by what I've come to realize; the divine (especially the deities I work with) don't interact with everyone they choose to have relationships with in the same way. It varies from deity to deity and from person to person. I work with a few deities on a more professional level, and we aren't going to make it a more personal relationship. Others have involved themselves so much that they might as well be another set of parents. If you find that a deity would be interested in working with you in any capacity, I recommend taking them up on their offer. If not, there's still plenty that you can do without their patronage and either way you'll come out of your search with a better understanding of the nature of those kinds of things, and I find that can be a reward in and of itself.

#13 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:54 PM

@Solanaceae- Excellent post.

@Odalibuc- That's a very good point that deities interact differently with different people.

#14 PrimalWitch

PrimalWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:35 PM

I very much agree with what has been said already.  As for what a god/goddess is/are there are so many answers to that I personally think the only truth of the divine is that there is no absolute truths.  It's like the ask 10 witches and you'll get 30 answers lol.  You'll have to answer that question for yourself but being able to answer that question requires doing some homework like research and putting what you research into practice.  

I would like to add a little to Solanaceae's advice about research.  Balancing time is highly recommended I feel.  The time you spend researching as well as the time you spend on particular topics that you research is important for preventing burnout or boredom.  Since there are so many cultures out there past and present each with their own concept of what the divine is, it's just too easy to hinder yourself in finding a system that works for you if you're time isn't managed well.  I'd also figure out how much time you wish to spend on reading vs practicing.  I think it's extremely important to allow yourself time to practice what you have found interesting to see if its something that could work for you.  I actually discovered very unexpected things about my spiritual practices and beliefs because I actually put to practice what I was reading.  It was interesting because there were times that what I thought were perfect for me (the idea of it etc) turned out to be oh-so-wrong for me in actuality.

Then once you've figured that out, I would then keep the topics on the fewer side at a time.  For example- only study celtic deities/culture and perhaps only 1 or two specifics at a time...ie irish and welsh only rather than all celtic cultures/systems all at once!  Otherwise You'll end up burning out on it all or misunderstanding/confusing the information.  Take it in small to medium chunks and I think you'll do just fine figuring out for yourself what they are to you.  Also be patient with yourself...you don't have to know for certain one way or another right now...or ever for that matter.

#15 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:11 AM

It took me heaps of frustration to break out of the catholic mindset that there was a single authorized, workable definition of deity, and accept that what it is to me is the only authority that would be workable, and it doesn't have to be the same as anyone else's understanding. So what exactly is deity? Whatever you decide you can accept. And some can accept there is no deity.

I think the comments you've all made here are well thought out. I second taking it in small bits, and balancing study with practice.

#16 Broomflower

Broomflower

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:11 AM

Traditional witchcaft is not Wicca, so I think first of all it is important to understand that Gods and Goddesses are not collectible bubble-gum cards.  (That always used to annoy the snot out of me.)

The really best advice I can give you for understanding Gods and/or Goddesses is to ask the Land.  You will get better feedback there than from even the best internet forums, like this one.  :)

Eat your lawn.