Sign in to follow this  
Leighqt

From the Book

Here are some examples of old time Spells and charms

To heal painful breasts

Catch two wood lice and eat them alive. W Harpey who collected this charm in 1882 reported that a patient following this treatment said " I was forced to try the wood lice sur, they were mortal nasty, I feel'd em crawling down my Croat, but they done me a sight of good to be sure.

To cure corns

Take off your shoe and stocking when you first see the new moon . Show your corn to the new moon and say " Corns down here, Narry warn up there" or crush a little slug and put it on the smooth side of an ivy leaf, then put it on the corn.

For a cracked heel in a bullock

Watch the creature until it lays down.when it stands up mark the spot where the bad foot touches the turf. Cut the piece of turf like a hoof and turn it topside down. This charm is also recorded in Devon in 1908 where the ailment is called a "kebab it". Capturing a footprint is also used in cursing magic - the footprint is believed to hold the essence of the person or creature to be harmed or healed

( The British book of spells and charms, Graham King, 2016, Troy books, London)

Haha I love silly old "cures"

Carry a potato for arthritis.

A teaspoon of kerosene for asthma or croup.

Wear a nutmeg on a string around the neck to prevent boils.

Crossing water cures colds.

Rub goose grease on the soles of your feet for a cold. OR fish on the feet for cold.

Cold earrings in a pierced lobe will cure sore eyes or crossed eyes.

Tie salt herring around the neck for fever.

Turpentine and sugar for flu.

A cold key on the back of the neck for nosebleed.

Skunk oil for rheumatism. OR red flannel underwear for rheumatism.

Pass a child through the crotch of a tree 3 times for rickets.

A black cat's tail tied around the waist for shingles (if the shingles reached around and touched you would die!)

A dirty sock laid across a sore throat "the dirtier the better. If it will stick to the ceiling it's a sure cure".

Put a mustard plaster on the thumb for a toothache.

To cure tuberculosis: dig a hole and stay in it and eat a white egg laid by a black hen.

There are these and many many more. I only chose some of the silliest, the book contains some that may actually be worthwhile, but mostly just as silly.

(From the section on home remedies in  Bluenose Magic : Popular Beliefs and Superstitions in Nova Scotia / collected and edited by Helen Creighton 1968)

I couldn't imagine eating woodlice, taking skunk oil, or taking turpentine! Desperate times I guess!

Well most of this I wouldn't try even if I thought it would work. So glad there are less repulsive ways to do things now.

The foot track thing really does work though. It can be a very powerful taglock, for healing or harm alike.

Edited by Solanaceae

Sign in to follow this