Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:50 AM

Online shopping is dangerous !

I have a few books coming my way

Black toad , Gemma Gary
Devils plantation, Nigel Pearson
British book of spells and charms, Graham King
Grimoire of thorn blooded witch ( ?) Raven grimmassi
Triumph of the moon, Ronald Hatton

I have so many new books that I can't buy any ore til next Christmas, though there's a book coming out called " under the witching tree "( Troy books) that I really want.

#2 Cristofernicholas

Cristofernicholas

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 05:58 AM

Damn, I could have given you a few of those for free. I have hundreds of PDF books.
-CIII

#3 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

You have been committing piracy.  For the price of a few dollars, you could repay those authors for all the time, effort, and knowledge they have put into them.  You are a disgrace.  If they are still in copyright, it is stealing.  And most of those, if not all are still in copyright, I'm not mistaken.  I regret that I helped you, in multiple ways.

Edited by Aurelian, 23 January 2017 - 10:31 AM.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#4 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:16 AM

Allow me to clarify this.  I have very many friends who are occult authors.  Universally, they are not rich.  They struggle along with the rest of us.  When you deprive them of the income that they rightfully deserve, which is a small portion of what they publishing houses get from book purchases, it is theft.  It is a shameful practice to just download copyrighted works.  The people who actually publish legitimate knowledge are doing all the rest of us a favor.  

Please keep this in mind.  Knowledge is not free.  It needs to be paid for.  There always needs to be an exchange.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#5 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

I make a living off of selling my own work digitally. It is HARD WORK. I find my stuff on piracy sites, and people graciously offering to give others it for free! It is NOT FREE for those who create it. Painstaking hours and hours days and days go into creating and publishing digital work. If a person can't afford to buy the item, they should not be stealing it and distributing it for free. Please learn from that , and really consider how it affects the creators. 

Many of us are small time businesses. This is the case for many occult authors as well. We rely on the income to support us financially, as well as support our growth in producing more content that people are seeking. It is not an easy journey, and it is expected and appreciated when the work is supported vs blatantly stolen and carefree/lessly given out to others to prevent further purchases. 

#6 Cameo

Cameo

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 10:45 AM

A few of those books don't even have PDF versions. In fact, I am pretty sure you can't get any of the Troy books in digital format.

This is a great reminder to be more mindful of the work that goes into the information that is out there. There isn't a lot out there, and if the people who are putting information out there aren't compensated, it isn't likely that they are going to keep putting out the effort. A big thank you to those who do.

On Topic, I really want the the first two books listed, but I am going to have to wait until my budget is a bit more flexible. Wouldn't it be nice if we could have an unlimited budget for books? Happy reading!

#7 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

I really like to have the book to hold in my hand , the feel of the paper etc I'm a bit of a geek that way. I have a Kindle that I brought because I keep breaking book shelves but reading digitally isn't the same. I would love to have a entire wall of occult related books so could defo do with a unlimited money pot. I just got given some books from the 70's the paper yellowing almost musty

I think this thread has become something very worthwhile cos in the age of technology it is easy to get everything online and likewise easy to forget the sweat and tears that go into producing books.

The Black Toad book still hasn't arrived, I'm starting to wonder if there's a problem , UK to U.K. Doesn't take long in the post so gonna have to contact Troy.

Nigel Pearson (Devils plantation) is one of my favourite witchy authors I really like his writing style. My copy of Treading the mill was signed by him, I was hoping this one would be too but unfortunately not.

#8 Lucea's Child

Lucea's Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:34 PM

Online shopping is dangerous !

I have a few books coming my way

Black toad , Gemma Gary
Devils plantation, Nigel Pearson
British book of spells and charms, Graham King
Grimoire of thorn blooded witch ( ?) Raven grimmassi
Triumph of the moon, Ronald Hatton

I have so many new books that I can't buy any ore til next Christmas, though there's a book coming out called " under the witching tree "( Troy books) that I really want.

Those are some great books there.  Anything from Troy Books is fantastic.  Enjoy!

“One doesn't discover new lands without consenting
to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.”

— Andre Gide

#9 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:19 PM

Devils Plantation perfect in many way a brilliant book, back to the old times just what I want to know about, though it's unlikely I will chop off a corpses hand or kill a toad or allow it to be eaten alive by ants. Different times though

This is one of my fav books

#10 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:20 PM

I just bought Devil's Plantation as well. It's a great book!
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.