15 replies to this topic

#1 Cristofernicholas

Cristofernicholas

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 10:18 PM

Greetings, I just have a simple two part question for the members willing to answer and discuss.

How many of you would say that you practice a "Traditional Path" or should I say "Traditional Methods" for instance, do you Cast a Circle or LBRP? I don't really hear of folk practitioners using other Western rituals and practices. One could even ask: Are they compatible? I think so, I'm currently in the process to make those connections, I don't believe it to be hard, though this makes me a chaote. Are their any others?

-CIII

#2 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 11:57 PM

Casting a circle is traditional in witchcraft.  The LBPR is not, and frankly, it's useless for actually banishing anything, it's a training exercise.

Folk practitioners basically do not mix ceremonial magic into their craft.  Not the ones that I know.

There is nothing wrong with experimenting and synthesizing your own style of craft. 

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#3 Cristofernicholas

Cristofernicholas

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:37 AM

Ah, I think i understand where you're coming from. Thanks for the info. With that said I guess you can see where I was coming from what that idea. better not mix the two then.

-CIII

#4 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:40 AM

I'd say there is a time and place for more traditional methods, and also a place for more chaotic, spontaneous workings. Traditional methods I find give me a good framework and script for interactions with spirits and deities, and they are a good way to get into the craft. Sort of like training wheels. When the time comes and you need something more spontaneous (something without a circle, creating a charm, something like that), its up to you to figure out how you want to handle things.

#5 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:49 AM

I used to cast circle for holidays and full Moon's, whether indoor or out. Now my knees are crap so I prefer to sit and commune, but do a visualization of the four ways expanding outward, before and behind me, to my left and right, above and below, that was inspired by the LBR.

I like experimenting and don't do things the same way all the time. I've laid down quartz crystals to form a circle, shuffle-walked using ground contact through my feet, dragged the stang to pull up earth energy, placed a water-filled garden hose in a circle, & directed earth energy through my blade, or moon light with my wand, & used my finger. Each had different sensations, like you'd expect. I've worked in my attic, on the beach, in the woods and my back yard. I've wanted to try casting while swimming, but haven't been to the beach in years. I'd have liked to try working in a cave too.

And something I've just been reminded of is to always maintain an energy balance, or risk being butt-bit.

Edited by Zombee, 10 January 2017 - 05:11 PM.

#6 NorthernPilgrim

NorthernPilgrim

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:52 AM

Recently I've been leaning more and more towards the chaotic side of things. However, I still have an aversion to anything ceremonial. Not that I think they are bad, just that I don't think it suits me.

After all, the reason that I adopt more chaotic methods is they can answer my needs and the difficulties circumstances pose. That said, I still think I'm a trad witch at heart.

#7 Cristofernicholas

Cristofernicholas

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:59 PM

very cool, thanks for the input!

-CIII

#8 Cristofernicholas

Cristofernicholas

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:22 PM

Slightly off but on topic. I've noticed that "Picatrix" some of the "Goetia" and lesser keys. Can be used in many different paradigms. I love the Picatrix!
-CIII

#9 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

I like the LBRP, I don't think it has anything to do with TW but I like it all the same

#10 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 02:13 AM

To add to what Odalibuc said....I do think it really is best to learn and PRACTICE one system at a time, becoming competent in them before learning something else.  Otherwise you end up, IMO, with a sort of...non-cohesive practice where the individual elements doesn't make much sense in relation to one another.  Once you know what you're doing within those systems, you can improvise and have a much greater chance of having magic that doesn't go awry, and that will actually 'stick.'

In my opinion anyway.

As for classical grimoires, remember that they are just primers.  I don't know anyone who uses the complete, specified rituals contained within.  It's good too keep them in mind, but they were most often written from a Christian point of view that isn't necessarily the most useful or effective way of summoning.  I would suggest that if you would like to summon these specified spirits, do lots and lots of research, including modern material, and keep in mind your sources!  Be discerning.

The Picatrix is great, just make sure you're using an accurate translation.  The John Michael Greer and Christopher Warnock version is the best one I've seen.

Edited by Aurelian, 15 January 2017 - 03:17 AM.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#11 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:48 AM

So, is Picatrix all astrological information or does it contain other information as well?

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#12 SelkieBlythe

SelkieBlythe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:54 PM

I consider myself to be kind of a chaote, in the fact that I am willing to try other techniques and see what works for me. Most of my magical practice falls under "traditional" magic, and I tend to use what I have available. I do cast circles, always have. The LBPR has never resonated with me. Ceremonial magic is way less effective for me, unless I write my own. I'm more likely to come up with my own rituals based on knowledge I've gained from both my experience and other people's. I've been reading Phil Hine's Condensed Chaos and I've found a lot of it to be very useful. I've also created servitors with great success. I guess that falls under chaos magic, but a chaos witch/magician/however you identify is defined more by a willingness to stretch themselves and explore their own boundaries and decide which rules are effective for them. So, I don't see it as something that has to be a conflict or a contradiction to be a traditional witch and a chaote. 

#13 EnlightenedAnimal88

EnlightenedAnimal88

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:37 PM

Is casting a circle neccessary for Magickal workings? When I cast spells, I didn't cast circles. I didn't use any ingredients at all, just words and thoughts.

I am still learning, and trying to hold my own.

#14 SelkieBlythe

SelkieBlythe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

Is casting a circle neccessary for Magickal workings? When I cast spells, I didn't cast circles. I didn't use any ingredients at all, just words and thoughts.

I am still learning, and trying to hold my own.

No it isn't necessary, but it can be helpful. I cast circles when I'm doing a full ritual, or when I need to be more focused, or when I meditate. If I'm adding some intention to some food, or charging an object, or just doing really basic every day magic, then I don't cast a circle. It's a good thing to learn how to do, but if it doesn't work for you, then you can use something else.

#15 GhostAndTheWolf

GhostAndTheWolf

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:31 PM

After reading this post it has cleared some questions I had up, i think I'll start casting circles try it out at least.

Long live the snake, Long live the Devil-

Spite Cult.

#16 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:12 PM

Another one here who rarely casts a circle. I have the odd time but I haven't felt any great difference - if anything it made me more self-conscious. I set candles at the compass points once in an outdoor working and 3 of them blew out, which freaked me out a bit lol. The fact that it was a windy night and they had no shelter should have set my mind at rest but it was all a bit distracting. I had more success drawing in the sand on the beach once.

I prefer working on the beach and feeling more connected to things. The circle makes me feel a bit disconnected. But I'd be the first to admit I'm a fan of Phil Hines and am probably a weird hybrid of chaote and tradwitch. I am more likely to use a circle when I'm working in the garden or on grass at night.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tradition, Chaos