• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Marganna

Marganna

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 02:17 AM

I have an autoimmune disorder and the best/only treatment is suppressing my immune system. It's working wonderfully and has changed my life. Unfortunately it keeps me vulnerable to infection. AND I probably have to keep taking it long-term. The first sign of my getting an infection every time are my occipital lymph nodes becoming swollen and painful. Well, it just started again, so I'm worried I'm getting an infection again, and I'm afraid it's going to keep happening. 

Anyway, what I'm looking for are ways to prevent infection without boosting my immune system. 

#2 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:49 PM

Hi Marganna what great news you have found a treatment that seems to be working so well for you, I think half the battle is knowing ourselves and how our body talks to us and gives us clues about where we are at.

Im not very good with Herbs so cannot offer much advice. I know a few that will help, Chamomile, Ginger, Peppermint can be made or brought as prepared Teas.

There are many Essiential oils that help , the list seems endless, I took the liberty of checking some weren't contra indicated for you, but I think it's best you do your own research and see what suits you. You could start with Cinnamon, clove, eucalyptus, lemon,lemon balm, ginger, Chamomile, lavender,

if you do go the Essiential oil route I would buy some good all rounders, if you don't have them already, things like Lavender, Tea tree, Eucalyptus, Clove. There are so many ways they can be used, I think for the swelling of your head a warm compress of lavender and chamomile will be very soothing .

So much so that I am about to make some up for myself, I am having a bit of a Fibro flare and my knee is sore as is my ankle and Elbow, oh the joys.

#3 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:33 PM

Marganna,

It's nearly impossible to speak in generalities. Any herbalist is going to want a lot of information to tailor something to you. I'm a Master Herbalist and I will recommend nothing herbal to you here. There are so many prescription drugs that interact with herbs, some favorably, some unfavorably - whether the herbs are taken internally or used externally. Please do not take anything without speaking with a naturopathic physician or registered herbalist. (You can find someone at naturopathic.org or americanherbalistsguild.com). They (especially the naturopaths) can look at what you're taking (and what you're not) and ensure you don't screw up what's already working when it comes to your autoimmune disorder.

The best thing you can do is attempt to avoid infection in the first place. As embarrassing as you might find it, wear a mask in public to avoid airborne viruses & bacteria. Wash your hands frequently & all that.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#4 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:42 AM

Perhaps instead of adding something to your diet you could try eliminating some things like dairy or gluten?  Both can cause autoimmune reactions in some people and they never even know it

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#5 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:11 PM

I used a combination of Vitamin C and Coconut Oil to boost my immune system. Double check with your doctor about if you can increase your vitamin C. 

I had mono where it was affecting my liver and coconut oil creates an almost natural "antibody" for mono by breaking down into mono laurine. I was literally dead walking with liver enzymes 3 times as high as they should have been. 

An anti-inflammatory that might work would be tea tree oil- you can use it in a bath and it helps a lot. Garlic naturally boosts the immune system, so load up if you like garlic. I suggest lime juice freshly squeezed with a little salt- to sweeten it- instead of oranges. Limes have more vitamin C than the average lime. You can also use vitamin C tabs, but it depends on how you prefer to take it. 

Green tea is a great anti-inflammatory, as well as sasparilla and yarrow.. It sounds like you have a good amount of inflammation going on. Sasparilla and yarrow purify the blood and help to reduce joint and muscle inflammation. I recommend those, seeing as they will help a great deal more with autoimmune diseases such as Lupus. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Peregrine

#6 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:32 PM

I get you are trying to help FP, but please read the entire op. She cannot do anything to boost her immune system. Suppressing her immune system is the only thing helping her with  autoimmune disorder.

Marganna, I agree 100% with Mountain Witch,

and if you have not tried Caps' suggestion, that may be something to explore as well. 

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#7 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 07:45 PM

Marganna, I stand behind what MW posted. If you are looking for quick herbal advice ... well, I suggest seeing a master herbalist too. It's not a quick fix, as you have an autoimmune disorder. This radio show segment may be of use to you: http://wisewomanment...com/q&a/3220207
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#8 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:51 PM

Dietry changes have definately been a positive thing in dealing with my health issues, I think this is a way forward maybe

#9 Marganna

Marganna

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:16 AM

Thank you all. I definitely plan on seeing a professional when I can. Was just looking for ideas in the meantime.

#10 SkyeVaruna

SkyeVaruna

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:04 PM

I've been looking into diets specifically focused on eliminating anything that can cause inflammation, but I don't know if those diets have ever been confirmed by scientific studies. There's also quite some contradictory information out there.
Garlic and green tea should work well, as mentioned above. You can also try using tumeric. In order to get the full benefits from tumeric you need to mix it with black pepper and preferable use it warm (like warm tumeric drinks you can make with plant based milks).
(But be careful, because high doses can cause side effects. Again, it's best to consult someone who knows more on the subject.) As suggested, removing certain foods from your diet can also help. I've noticed I rather easily get inflammation of my joints (mainly cause by scoliosis, because of which some of my joints are stressed more), and a plant based diet seems to work quite well for me.

#11 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:25 PM

This is a tricky subject. I also have autoimmune issues, so I understand the struggle. I'm really not sure what can be done with an already suppressed immune system. I wonder if even though it is supressed, if certain things would help. I recommend having a urine load iodine test to make sure you are optimal with that. Also checking iron/ferritin, magnesium, and vitamin D. Vitamin D is crucial for immune health and disorders. Most doctors agree 60+ is a good range to be in, and many are no where near that. 

Id also experiment with going gluten free, dairy free, soy free etc. Find if doing any of that helps you in any way. 

#12 Levinthross

Levinthross

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:02 PM

Gut health!! Keep your guts and there fkora healthy and primed with probiotics fiber sometimes depending on the meal i like a acidic or spicy drink to help me digest food well i like infused vinegar the shrubs mentioned on here or just chili tea. For me atleast making sure i can breakdowm everything im eating and use it well helps prevent me from getting sick

#13 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:30 AM

I have an autoimmune disorder and the best/only treatment is suppressing my immune system. It's working wonderfully and has changed my life. Unfortunately it keeps me vulnerable to infection. AND I probably have to keep taking it long-term. The first sign of my getting an infection every time are my occipital lymph nodes becoming swollen and painful. Well, it just started again, so I'm worried I'm getting an infection again, and I'm afraid it's going to keep happening. 

Anyway, what I'm looking for are ways to prevent infection without boosting my immune system.

Hi there. I worked in a health food store for almost five years. There are natural supplements that were supposed to fight infection without boosting the immune system. We had to be very careful in how we presented the products. We usually just referred customers to a book.  Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Phyllis A. Balch is a very good reference. Keep in mind, as was mentioned above, that there are many interactions between natural supplements and medications. Unfortunately most doctors (at least in the U.S.) don't know much about them. If you can afford it, your best option is to go to a naturopath or functional medicine doctor. (again, as mentioned already).