• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Lazy witch

• Moderators
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:04 AM

An interesting paper discussing the possibility of second sight being passed down genetically. It's a scientific approach to the reported phenomenon, and comes off as a fairly balanced paper. I did not look into the references, however, and it's a bit old (1999).

https://koestlerunit...6/cohn-1999.pdf

RSKHFMY

#2 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:49 AM

Very interesting. I’m currently in the middle of The Visions of Isobel Gowdie, so the references to early Scottish second sight was interesting.

One thing that caught my notice was his comparing it to the idea that musical talent is genetic.  Must studies I read (back when I was still studying music in college) showed that there was probably a genetic connection, but it could not predict the level of musicianship the student would accomplish; only the amount of practicing could predict that. So even if a student with perfect pitch, born to a family of people with perfect pitch, had an inherited gift for music, if they didn’t put the time into practicing, they would never be as good as the person from a non-musical family who practiced his scales and etudes every day. (But on the other hand, someone born without the ability to distinguish pitch would never become a good musician, no matter how hard they practiced.)

It looked like the author excluded anyone with occult leanings or anyone who considered themselves a medium from the study, and I wonder if that then excluded people who actively practiced and worked on their second sight. It’s a very interesting subject, and I would be fascinated to read further studies that looked at people who practiced their gifts, versus those who don’t but report second sight, and the family backgrounds of the two groups.

#3 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 981 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

I just learned last night that my brother has been experiencing spirit activity in his home. (Not second sight I realize.) However my brother is a 53yo man with tattoos down both arms, up his neck, has always been part of a motorcycle club, owns at least one Harley at all times and is a true badass!:) I would have never guessed he had given anything to do with "other" much of a second thought. I find this interesting because while I think it's common for a lot of people to have one story that either happened to themselves or someone they know. Apparently there is some pretty weird shit going on at my bros house too.
Why I found this relevant to this topic is the fact that, prior generations as far back as I know of on my mother's side have ALSO been "haunted" at various times and fairly significantly. Up until last night I thought I was the only one in this generation sensitive to such things- but apparently not. Hell, the only reason I know this now is bro confided it to our mother:). Ergo, I am thinking that being sensitive to spirits runs in the family too.
He thinks he is currently being "haunted" by a good friend that died last year in a bike accident. I HOPE that's who it is! :)

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#4 Anubha

Anubha

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:08 AM

Yes, very interesting topic! I've actually been thinking a lot lately about examples of the second sight in my family. My mother has had many "visits" from relatives after they've died as I have myself. My grandmother died at 29, leaving my mother behind at three years old. So we don't know much about her. But on her death bed she had a number of clairvoyant experiences.

#5 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:28 PM

My parents were spooked out by anything psychic, so wouldn't discuss it, but hints were that both my grandmother's lineages had histories of something...enough to bother my folks to not want to give details. But I note, it was both grandmothers. Genetic or social influences?

Edited by Zombee, 27 December 2016 - 06:29 PM.

#6 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:05 PM

Sounds legit. I should preface this by stating that we don't have the second sight in my line, but we do have psychic abilities. According to family lore, it comes down through the maternal line and is usually the eldest daughter. We aren't Scottish though.

I thought that the "mating preference" bit was interesting, as my partner definitely is "tuned in" to my frequency as well as other people's (although he wouldn't recognize it as psychic).

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.