• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 07:12 PM

Being a nerd, I'm fascinated by the science of literally transforming oneself or a loved one into a diamond:
http://www.npr.org/2...s-into-diamonds (I'm also fascinated with the mind that came up with the idea to do this in the first place).

I've actually never been one for burials... I've always thought I'd have myself cremated but never had a satisfactory answer to what I'd want done with my ashes. So, ironically, even though I've never been a jewelry or "bling" person, when I heard about the above process I thought THAT is what I want(!)

(they also inscribe specimen ID info on the ridge of the gemstones and can even include a custom inscription, all of which can only be read via microscope)

So... I'm curious what y'all think about it from an occult / craft point of view: advantages / disadvantages? Possible unforeseen (side) effects / consequences? :thinking:

#2 Yex

Yex

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 08:59 PM

That'd make a hell of a horcrux! ;)

But seriously, assuming your descendants were into ancestor veneration/necromancy, having that diamond in their possession would definitely be a powerful magic item to have in their possession, one that would probably make contacting you in trancework really easy. 

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
But the heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

#3 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 09:06 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - it could be a fantastic and potentially powerful piece of jewelry to use for workings, etc.

I don't have any children of my own (nor plan to have any) but I do have nieces whom I could bequeath it (myself?) to once my S.O. is gone (he'd BETTER outlast me :lol: )... assuming they wouldn't be horrified by the idea (they're all still very young so who knows what they'll grow up to be like).

Imagine, though, discovering in the future that a gem you own actually WAS SOMEONE. Makes my creative writing head start spinning in so many different directions :D

Edited by IslandBruja, 23 December 2016 - 09:09 PM.

#4 Yex

Yex

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:03 AM

To deviate from the topic at hand slightly, I've always wanted my skull (and maybe other bones?) preserved for ritual use by my posterity. I've recently been told that this is possible, but I'll have to look into it further. I like the idea of my skull being converted somehow into a candlestick holder for magical use. 

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
But the heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

#5 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:43 AM

I'd love the idea of having my ashes transformed into a diamond when I die, but I'm more fond of the process where you can choose a tree to have planted in a mixture of your remains and fertile soil, and it uses what used to be your body to grow into something new. My ancestors aren't really fond of magical workings or interested in building that kind of relationship with me, so I've built up and maintained a very close relationship with a powerful nature spirit in my area. I'd like to become something she can use as a home when I die in thanks for her help and companionship, and to see about getting planted in protected property so she would never be separated from other trees and plants.

#6 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:54 AM

Yeah, I've always liked the idea of fertilizing a tree with my remains as well, odalibuc, but my friends & family live all over the world & we all move houses/towns/states/countries in turn every few years it seems so there's nowhere "stable" that could host a tree like that unfortunately - it would just end up being on someone else's property and potentially cut down.

Even when I was a kid we moved around all the time, so the idea of being "usable" for magic & transportable after I die appeals to me :vhappywitch: (I only just heard about this process existing the other day)

Edited by IslandBruja, 24 December 2016 - 03:55 AM.

#7 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 07:22 PM

And on the flip side of consideration: dang it when I'm out of this mortal form no one better be using a tag-lock to harass me in the after life with "my love-life's not perfect, gimme this, go fetch that". Y'know, just sayin'.

Im wondering what guarantee there is that the one diamond received is composed of the one particular individual's remains? If there was a mix could you end up with a party-line instead of direct dial?

Edited by Zombee, 09 July 2019 - 04:56 PM.

#8 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:14 PM

I love the idea, but $20 Grand to do it and then have a ring created out of you would be another couple of thousand bucks.  You would have one hell of a family heirloom,  But what if you started a family fight about ownership.  Eldest gets the Loot!