#1 Steriki

Steriki

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:06 PM

Good day

I think I might be losing the ability to read tarot (if such a thing is possible).  Coming from a ritual magick background I have always done a reading before attempting any spells etc.  I have however recently found that my deck is unreliable, withholding information and misleading me.  I have cleansed it, redone the blessing and even acquired a second deck.  I am at my wits end, and I think I might even be losing my touch ;( 

Does anybody have any insight or advice to offer?  I would really appreciate a different perspective and help.

*Not all who wander are lost *

#2 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:10 PM

Try a different deck or a different thing to read about.

RSKHFMY

#3 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:15 PM

Can't advise on tarot.  Still too new to it myself.  

Just one thought though.  Is it possible that something is trying to tell you to experiment with other forms of divination?  If so, perhaps after you explore a bit with another method or approaach- you'll get your groove back.  :)

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#4 Steriki

Steriki

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:18 PM

I have tried my hand at runes, they speak to me sometimes.  But in a way I also find runes limiting, they can be quite stubborn (or at least that is what it feels like to me).  Which other methods would you recommend?  And thanks for the vote of confidence :)

#5 Steriki

Steriki

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:22 PM

Like I said, I have tried a different deck.  My previously trusted one is the Hanson Roberts deck.  I started with it because it is really easy to read.  The new one I got is the Waite-Smith because it was recommended to me.  As for the topics of my readings, they have been quite diverse.  Maybe I should ask the deck if there is anything specific I need to know about to clear up the situation.  I am very attached to my first deck.

#6 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:40 PM

Maybe you need to take a break from reading. A little rest often does wonders.

#7 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:53 PM

I have tried my hand at runes, they speak to me sometimes.  But in a way I also find runes limiting, they can be quite stubborn (or at least that is what it feels like to me).  Which other methods would you recommend?  And thanks for the vote of confidence :)

Scrying is a form of divination. 

You could also try tea leaves, but I've had traditional witches in the area tell me that it's a new "invention" meant as a shop trick. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Peregrine

#8 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 03:34 AM

Would you consider taking a short rest from tarot and trying the soul cards oracle? A lot of tarot readers say that it opened up their reading ability in a phenomenal way. It only has pictures, no words and no meanings given.

#9 Nim

Nim

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:27 AM

Is it possible you don't want to believe what you are reading and as a result are just not understanding what you are seeing? That probably sounds harsh, but I bring it up because this is very much what happened to me a year and a half ago. I'm still reaping the consequences of my obtuseness.

Alternatively, if it was me, I would take a little break and maybe come back and try a different form of divination? Or even a different deck if you find one that speaks to you.

#10 Steriki

Steriki

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 December 2016 - 12:44 PM

Thank you for all your advice, I am considering all of the replies. Right now I am going to take a break from the cards and divination altogether.  I have this nagging feeling that if it isn't the cards themselves it may be someone else (something else) that is manipulating them.  As for the results I've been getting it has been gibberish, no matter how I tried to look at it.  I've taken note of all the results in case they become clearer later.  But for now I'm giving them a rest and concentrating on finding out if someone else is trying to get my attention.

#11 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:57 AM

Thank you for all your advice, I am considering all of the replies. Right now I am going to take a break from the cards and divination altogether.  I have this nagging feeling that if it isn't the cards themselves it may be someone else (something else) that is manipulating them.  As for the results I've been getting it has been gibberish, no matter how I tried to look at it.  I've taken note of all the results in case they become clearer later.  But for now I'm giving them a rest and concentrating on finding out if someone else is trying to get my attention.

Hi Steriki, you said previously that you are very attached to your first deck and that you have blessed and cleansed them. In my experience the universal energy always works but not necessarily the way that we expect it to.

The cards will work. What I would suggest is possibly putting aside some time to create a new "bond" with the cards. Realign your energy with the energy of your cards. I would take each card individually and spent a few moments getting reacquainted with each one.

Invest your time and energy in each one studying it again, the way it feels, smells while recognising each cards uniqueness. Do it as a ceremony or not, but I do think it will benefit your readings.

Best of luck!! As a side note... In my opinion it would be a bad idea to stop the cards or divination altogether for too long. Only because your mind will find something else to fill your divination time with something else and once you break a habit and replace it with another habit, it can be very difficult to go back to it.

I don't know if you are the same as me but when I invest my time in something regular and it becomes a habit I begin making real progress with it. However, if I stop for any reason I usually end up picking something else up and that becomes my new habit.... and it could even be something non craft related. Then all of my progress has been lost.

Or it might just be me and one of my many weird ways.

Edited by Llyr, 22 December 2016 - 11:58 AM.

#12 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:55 PM

How recently did you acquire your newer deck, and how long have you had your first one? I find that decks have their own energies, and the fact that they can show us things in such detail means they can have personality quirks. I only have one deck now but I'm getting a new one soon, and I found that my deck almost felt jealous over how excited I was about ordering the new one. It wasn't even a feeling I got from a reading, it just radiated jealousy from where it was sitting on my desk. Maybe your newer deck is throwing a fit because it used to be an only child, and now it has to share?

Another possibility is that you just need some time off to recharge.

#13 Steriki

Steriki

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:08 PM

Hi Odalibuc

I would go so far as to say that they don't just have energy but also personalities. So looking at it like that it might be a case of jealousy. After a lot of contemplation I have decided to contact an ancestor spirit with whom I had a bit of contact long ago. But I will first get a reading before I do anything. If it is an outside influence wanting to draw my attention hopefully it will give me some kind of affirmation. Let's see how it goes.

Llyr,as for laying off divination, turns out it is harder than I thought! I didn't do anything today but I spent some time with both decks (holidays are the perfect time for this kind of nonsense).

#14 Steriki

Steriki

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:24 PM

Good day

I thought I should just update you on what happened. My problem had a very simple origin and solution. A close friend of mine who has easy access to my personal affects made it her job to fiddle with my decks. I caught her by accident. Turns out that she took them out whenever she came to visit! After a quite heated argument I decided to give her my newer deck on the condition that she never touches any of my witchy stuff again. My original deck is back to normal and I now have somebody who wants me to teach her more about divination. So it didn't end too badly. I told her to start with meditation practice and getting to know the major arcana, which is how I started. Please feel free to add anything else that I might tell her, I'm not sure I'm cut out to be a mentor of sorts.

#15 Steriki

Steriki

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:27 PM

Oh and on the upside I met an ancestral spirit who was waiting to hear from me. Suddenly my readings also seem to have more depth. All in all quite excited.

#16 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:10 PM

Good day
I thought I should just update you on what happened. My problem had a very simple origin and solution. A close friend of mine who has easy access to my personal affects made it her job to fiddle with my decks. I caught her by accident. Turns out that she took them out whenever she came to visit! After a quite heated argument I decided to give her my newer deck on the condition that she never touches any of my witchy stuff again. My original deck is back to normal and I now have somebody who wants me to teach her more about divination. So it didn't end too badly. I told her to start with meditation practice and getting to know the major arcana, which is how I started. Please feel free to add anything else that I might tell her, I'm not sure I'm cut out to be a mentor of sorts.

=====
You did good! Just tell her it's not a good idea to touch anyone else's decks without their express permission. I had a friend ask me to teach them tarot recently, and I was at a bit of a loss because personally I just jumped right in without meditating or anything else! (Although that was over 15 years ago) I would tell her to find a deck that speaks to her and to use her intuition rather than relying on the LWB. I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: divination, tarot