13 replies to this topic

#1 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 02:49 PM

This book is a mixture of different belief systems. It does have the typical Wiccan circle casting and "creed", but I have found it to be extremely useful with runic systems, ogham, divination, and other such things. I've been using it as a resource for what colors of candles to use with my craft. 

While there are Wiccan aspects to it, I find it great. I skip over the stuff that I know is utter crap and use the things that I know to be true. 

I'll give it a 4 out of 5. There are things that could be better explained in the tables (for example a planetary charting table had a formula that was rather confusing). Herbs, colors, stones, and other such things listed are very accurate. There are several things in there about Yule, of which is coming up and I'm looking forward to. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Peregrine

#2 Belwenda

Belwenda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 04:39 PM

I like Ann Moura's Tarot guide; its thorough and one can easily sift through the Wicca like statements,( don't have anything else by her though; my library is maxed).

"For there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" W.S.

#3 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 05:15 PM

She writes so we can add what we need. I really like that about her

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Peregrine

#4 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 05:41 PM

I admit this and Green Witchcraft are two of the first books I bought when getting into witchcraft, and I still use them. She's definitely Wiccan, but her information is good, and I really like how well organized and laid out everything is.

#5 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 10:01 PM

I rather liked, and learned from, her whole "Green" series. As FP says, she writes so you can add to it, or so you can understand and apply what is written, and develop from it. That makes it fun. And I valued her reminder that we all dip from the same well.

Edited by Zombee, 18 December 2016 - 10:02 PM.

#6 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:03 AM

I can honestly say, with absolutely no prior experience to spellcasting, I was able to put together a spell to help out my PTSD with a full ritual (plus some guidance from my former practicing husband). Today, I've had absolutely no anxiety whatsoever. I'm normally hypervigilant at all times. Definitely enough of a resource to figure out what you're doing. 

Flying Peregrine

#7 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 10:43 AM

Wow, I can't say that I believe there is any BOOK that allows you to "know what your doing" in craft.  I do love books though.:)

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#8 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 12:04 PM

Excellent point O, and I agree. 

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#9 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 01:46 PM

Maybe that was the wrong term to use O. It gave a lot of knowledge of the particular ritual I was creating. The whole time I was creating it, I was thinking "I sure hope this is right" and double checking other sources I had at my disposal.

Flying Peregrine

#10 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:01 PM

The best ones aren't the ones that come from books. That said, I think we have all relied on books at one point or another. However... You don't need to do big, elaborate rituals when simple practice will suffice. I have read the book in question (granted, it was a very long time ago), and I don't think this book has anything useful in it that one couldn't learn by one's self and dedication to one's craft.
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#11 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:16 PM

The best ones aren't the ones that come from books. That said, I think we have all relied on books at one point or another. However... You don't need to do big, elaborate rituals when simple practice will suffice. I have read the book in question (granted, it was a very long time ago), and I don't think this book has anything useful in it that one couldn't learn by one's self and dedication to one's craft.

Oh for sure. I can say that it is good to have on hand, though. Reaching for a book is much better than turning to the internet when in the midst of studies, in my opinion. I focus too much to turn to my computer when I'm studying.

Edited by FlyingPeregrine, 19 December 2016 - 07:17 PM.

Flying Peregrine

#12 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:39 PM

I might disagree with you on the book versus Interne, FP. I think there is a lot of misinformed books out there as well. I think more important is knowing how to find and review a source before you use it, rather then what format the information comes in.

#13 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:46 PM

I find the internet to be exceptionally useful when looking up obscure bits of lore in particular. I just never use just one source on line. And if it's a website or blog I read a bit over the rest of the site so I can get a feel of the creator's leanings and tendencies. Kind of like trying to get accurate news reporting- you would never go by just Fox News because you know they are putting a right wing spin on it.

Okay, actually finding accurate magical info is far easier than finding "accurate news reporting" that's nearly an oximoron. ;)

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#14 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:17 PM

Not to say that I don't use the internet- because I do. I'm just more fond of using the spellbooks if I have hidden myself away. Otherwise, I get distracted with social media. I choose books that are unbiased and are more factual than opinions. Plus, once I get a book, I scour over it with the internet to find anything that may be misleading and note it in my books. 

Flying Peregrine