• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 01:02 PM

I made a Spirit board out of solid maple.

Attached File  post-1114-0-69644000-1431654375.jpg   100.76KB   0 downloads

Also digitally modified the Druid Tarot Deck to my liking. I did each card to intensify the colours and to make the hands and feet on many cards in proportion to the body (they were way too large). Here is my version followed by the original. Re: the Chariot...the middle aged woman I just didn't think would be able to handle two in hand on a speeding chariot, and it didn't fit history, so I made her a man. Please don't take it in a sexist way. I also reduced the card size when printing them, trimmed them by hand and rounded the corners. Also laminated them.

Attached File  7.jpg   318.52KB   0 downloads    Attached File  7a.jpg   298.76KB   0 downloads

Back of the cards

Attached File  post-1114-0-64340100-1431005681.jpg   8.06KB   0 downloads  Attached File  post-1114-0-83944500-1431005706.jpg   13.53KB   0 downloads

#2 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:26 PM

Love the spirit board!

I made one too a few years ago. IDK if I put it on here or not. I think Im senile. Yours is much more professional looking though. The symbols are really nice.

The card looks very nice too- may I ask what inspired you to make the driver of the Chariot a woman?

Edited by Oroboros, 16 December 2016 - 03:54 PM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#3 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:36 PM

Yes, very cool board and symbols AM!

(and O - he turned the woman into a man, not the other way around ;) )

#4 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 03:49 PM

Oh! I was confused- how embarrassing.
They both look really nice and professional though- seriously. Apparently I couldn't tell which was the original or not so that's a compliment in and of itself. A lot of decks have a lot more male figures than female while some are more evened out. I thought maybe he was evening this one out. Sorry A.M. It really does look like professional work (obviously.). Also obviously I should have caffeine before commenting on posts I've just skimmed over. Can someone please get me a shovel?

Edited by Oroboros, 16 December 2016 - 03:51 PM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#5 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:34 PM

Well done. I your work on that Spirit Board.

#6 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 12:37 AM

Thank you all very much!  I worked long and hard on these projects. The Spirit board is infused with special resins for protection against malicious spirits and together with the runes (on the face, underside, and planchette) provides good protection. Thing is though, I haven't even used it yet.

@ Oroboros - No need to apologize. The Druidcraft Tarot has about an equal distribution of male to female. I just could not reconcile the middle aged, out of shape woman in the Chariot card actually being able to control two in hand, a staff in the other, on a speeding chariot. The expression on her face was like she was out for a Sunday stroll in the park. That image just didn't do it for me, so I made her into a virile man which would be in line with history where the chariots were driven by men into battle. It took a bit of thinking to hide the figure's breasts, get rid of the skirt and give him pants. His head was a bit difficult in that I didn't want it to appear like I just took a head off of one of the other men in the deck and plopped it onto the figure in the Chariot, so I had to change the shape of the eyebrows and change the colour of the beard and eyebrows. I'm pleased with the way it turned out.

#7 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:32 PM

Nice work. I see how you hid the breasts with an extra piece of cloth in front of his cape. Clever.

I love the board, did you burn the letters and images on?

My husband is handy at woodworking. I think I am actually getting a handmade table / spirit board this Xmas, he has hinted at that.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#8 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:58 PM

Thanks Sol!

For the board, I used an image transfer method. The letters were really difficult to line up because I had to do first one half left to right and then the other half. I then coated the board with an acrylic spray so the ink would not wear away or bleed if it ever got wet. The board measures 19 x14.5 inches (used a maple tv tray I bought at Walmart. It needed sanding to make it really smooth).

Edited by Autumn Moon, 17 December 2016 - 02:58 PM.