26 replies to this topic

#21 Lilu

Lilu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 09:05 PM

Oh thats really neat! Thanks @Zombee for sharing.

My Writer Support Forum http://heretherebewriters.jcink.net a positive home to any kind of writer.

#22 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:13 AM

Zombee, I know you are a practiced witch, but you've never had the herbs catch fire and float up in the air?  Just noting that this has been known to happen, and it can be a fire hazard.  Not criticizing your advice, just adding to it.

Also, one learns to...finesse the search engine, Lilu.

Sometimes you may get a bit of a terse answer from people, as some members have been around a long time and get tired of saying the same thing over and over again.  That is another reason it is valuable to search the forums.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#23 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 01:04 PM

Zombie gave some great info there, for me my next step would be researching for example why would you make a triangle. 

For me this site is great because there is such huge information that you gleam from reading the threads, from real experience, that is worth more than books,  you find a little nugget of information then you go research , there are also some really great links to other websites. 

the problem i have is I can't stay off the site at the mo lol

#24 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:05 PM

Aurelian, good point on fire hazards...I've gone back and added a note about finely powdering and thinly apply herbs to candles; and while I'm thinking of it, if a votive candle is used, it should be set on a saucer, not into a votive cup. The cup would intensify the heat and ignite the herbs if they are coarsely ground.

I added a note on the triangle too. :-)

Edited by Zombee, 13 December 2016 - 05:28 PM.

#25 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:11 PM

Yeah, I never had it actually engulf, but enough, flaring, popping, and sizzling to not care for that method myself.  :)

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#26 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 11:43 PM

Tinctures (just make sure it dries first before lighting the candle), and oils. The herb thing is just too messy for me, and it creates smoke which does not agree with me.

#27 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:37 AM

As for oils...as a beginner, I would find a good source for magical oils and learn how to use them, while you learn how to make them yourself.  There are a great variety of methods of making them, aside from learning the chemistry and techniques used to make them.  It is actually a process that can have great depth.

Learn safety, different methods of extraction, how long they will last, etc.

You want to make sure that you are actually making a magically effective oil, rather than just an herbal extraction.  There are many, many methods of doing this.

You may be able to find local classes, depending upon where you live.

It is actually a fascinating subject, if you choose to explore it.

Edited by Aurelian, 15 December 2016 - 05:11 PM.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy