26 replies to this topic

#1 Lilu

Lilu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:09 PM

Ok so when looking for herblore I find tons of information on the magical and medicinal properties of each plant.

Basil is good for digestion and weight loss. Parsley is good for the love life.

But....how?

I am so frustrated. Ok so I have a troubled marriage and I have some parsley. What do I do with it? Stick it in my ear? Eat is raw? Dry it and grind it up? Put it with other herbs? Make a lolipop out of it an then hide it under my pillow?

They tell me what they are good for but not what to do with it.

Help please? I didnt have a mother or grandmother to teach me all this stuff.

My Writer Support Forum http://heretherebewriters.jcink.net a positive home to any kind of writer.

#2 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:17 PM

I don't think sticking it in your ear's a good idea but you can grind it with other herbs and burn during a ritual. Make a little pillow stuffed with herbs and put it under his pillow. Make a romantic meal and incorporate it in the recipe.

#3 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:12 AM

Herblore /  herbalism is a HUGE topic. You could study for years and still not know it all. It can be a bit overwhelming, yes. Start with what you know for sure and use, what grows near you . Make sure you are certain about identities though, don't go by what people tell you unless you are sure they really know their stuff. Please keep in mind it is impossible in many cases  to give and accurate id just from pictures.  If you can't be sure, don't use the plant.

Get to know the plant. Read about it, medicinal uses as well as lore. That can tell you a lot. Use your instinct. How does the plant make you feel, do you have any memories associated with it?  Let the plant tell you.  

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#4 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 02:35 AM

It sounds like you want an instruction manual or a recipe book, but in my experience "following instructions" doesn't really work unless you already have some kind of connection to that "recipe" for whatever reason.

I didn't have anyone to teach me any of this stuff either (the exact opposite, actually) so while I may find INSPIRATION from books or others' spells, I create my own based on intuition and instinct.

There are definitely growing pains and a frustrating learning curve (especially if you're the kind of person who wants someone to tell you if you're "doing it right") but it's not like in the movies where a person finds a giant spellbook (or even a single spell on an ancient scrap of parchment), gathers the ingredients, reads it out loud and voilà - instant results. At least that hasn't been my experience at all :laugh:

It's a lot of experimentation and "listening" - both to the plant itself and my own intuition with/about it.

Edited by IslandBruja, 11 December 2016 - 02:38 AM.

#5 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 04:17 AM

It isn't terribly complicated.  

Basil can be used in food as a spice.  You use it with intent and purpose.  It can also be used in washes for the floor, in the laundry, etc, as it promotes a 'happy home.'  For domestic issues, it can be used as such to promote harmony, aside from the medicinal properties.  The essential oil can be had, but I usually find oils inferior for magical uses to the whole plant.

Parsley, I'm not sure of, as I really find very little use for it.

Get a copy of Culpepper's herbal, the original if you can get it, the Carmina Gaedelica, MW's books, some of the works by Schulke, etc.  Search on Amazon for things such as 'Magical Herbal Formulary.'  It actually isn't hard.  There are a plethora of titles relating to what you are asking about, but mind you, not all are equal.  Your information is only as good as the source that produced it.

I've been practicing herbal magic for decades and some people still consider me a novice with that art, so yes, you can never learn enough.

Edited by Aurelian, 11 December 2016 - 04:18 AM.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#6 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:54 AM

Im just going to try to explain how I tend to think of this, maybe it will help maybe it won't. 

Im guessing you are familiar with representational magic. 

Herbs can be used in witchcraft both medicinally and as part of representational magic. And much of it is cross over.  

This is just an example:

So, take chamomile.  Let's say, you make a cup of chamomile for your husband because he can't sleep- that's medicinal.

If you make a cup of chamomile for your husband who can't sleep and use your preferred technique to imbue it with intent, to help him de-stress, relax and sleep that is a spell.

If you do a spell for your husband's insomnia using, (Im just throwing shit out there now) say, you make a dolly with some of his hair in it and stroke it lovingly and rock it sleep,  (imbuing it with intent all the while) and lay it in a bed of chamomile and tie it in a sprig of lavender with an amethyst strung on it as part of a spell to help him sleep- HERE you have just used the chamomile as part of a spell done using representational magic.  You would choose the chamomile in this situation because it is associated with relaxation and sleep. (So are lavender and amethyst for that matter.)  

IMO though the most important factor is your will and focus and intent.

The representational part is where you may see herbs used in spells that have no medicinal value- but have strong associations. 

My two cents- I don't use things according to their associations unless the thing holds that association FOR ME.  So like if a book says that Holly represents money,

BUT holly makes ME think of "winter and cold and hunger", I sure as hell am not going to use it in a money spell.  Some may feel that is wrong, but I think the association/correspondence has to have meaning to the practitioner to be worth anything, regardless of what some correspondence table says.

Edited by Oroboros, 11 December 2016 - 05:55 AM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#7 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:56 AM

There has GOT to be a good reason to put parsley in your ear though.

#8 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 06:03 AM

O, your last paragraph about associations/correspondences was what I was getting at in my post but you explained it SO much more clearly - thanks :)

There has GOT to be a good reason to put parsley in your ear though.

Well, parsley is good for bad breath, so maybe if they're someone who has smelly earwax? :sickwitch:

#9 Lilu

Lilu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:30 PM

The ear part was a joke haha used to show the deapth of my frustration.

My Writer Support Forum http://heretherebewriters.jcink.net a positive home to any kind of writer.

#10 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 01:27 PM

Oh we know that was joke, we were just kidding around too, because it was cute/funny.:)

Edited by Oroboros, 11 December 2016 - 01:29 PM.

#11 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

I like to use ground herbs for candle dressing. It's messy, so I do it at the kitchen sink. First rub olive oil on a taper or votive candle so it's sticky, then roll it in some herbs. The selected herbs should have relevance to the goal. The natural substance of olive oil and herbs help to hold the electromagnetic energy of a psychic charge when I program my intent into the candle. The candle is fuel for the flame and releases my intent slowly as the fuel is consumed. I can sprinkle a pinch of herbs onto a tea light or jar candle. Then I can go about my other activities and don't have to meditate 4-6 hours. The candle does it. ( Bees wax candles don't need oiling as they are made of a natural substance. Most commercial candles are synthetic.)

EDIT- herbs should be finely powdered and only lightly applied so they don't catch fire.

I also make brews like steeping tea, but not for consumption. I can soak petition & talisman papers in the tea, then dry the paper before inscribing, and thus the paper is imbued with an essence that once again holds the psychic charge. A heavy weight drawing paper works well.

Herb mixes can be sprinkled or scattered for spell purposes, like where someone will walk, or a protective border, or as an attraction to something...depending on what's in it.

Then there's charm bags, that get filled with representations associated with a spell plus associated herbs, then charged, and carried next to the skin... Spell jars, that get filled with the same as charm bags and displayed or stored... Cooking herbs that are charged with intention before cooking...on and on.

The consumable or medicinal one's are indeed a lifetime study. I use garlic capsules to relieve the annual acid reflux I get in November...some kind of stomach bacteria, hits me every year since passing 50. And I take cinnamon caps which has reduced blood sugar A1Cs by 6 points! I've used turmeric caps for arthritis with good results. Beyond these, I know very little.

My grandma showed me how to make pot-roast. I use parsley in my homemade soups! ;-)

Edited by Zombee, 13 December 2016 - 05:23 PM.

#12 Lilu

Lilu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:36 PM

Great info everyone thank you.  Does anyone use dark chocolate? And if so what for?

#13 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:51 PM

Great info everyone thank you.  Does anyone use dark chocolate? And if so what for?

Since you're still so new here, let me be the first to share the well-worn mantra of this site:
The Search Button Is Your Friend ;)

"Dark Chocolate" brings up about a dozen threads and "Parsley" even more.

Resurrecting threads is also something encouraged here rather than starting a new one on the same topic...

#14 Lilu

Lilu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 11:38 PM

Im sorry, this forum is so different than eny I have been on. I had thought the point of forums were for discussion, conversation and support. Reading old posts made by people no longer on the board, well thats not much different than going out and buying books on this stuff. Its valuable, but I was looking for something a bit more personal.

However if that is the forums policy I will respect it. But I highly suggest otherwise.

#15 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:01 AM

Im sorry, this forum is so different than eny I have been on. I had thought the point of forums were for discussion, conversation and support. Reading old posts made by people no longer on the board, well thats not much different than going out and buying books on this stuff. Its valuable, but I was looking for something a bit more personal.
However if that is the forums policy I will respect it. But I highly suggest otherwise.

The point isn't just to read them, like you would a book - even if you resurrect a thread started by someone who's no longer around, when you comment on it, it brings it back to the attention of everyone else who IS currently around to start a fresh discussion on the topic while having easy access to previous poster's opinions and wisdom on the subject.

(Personally, I much prefer this method than having a dozen threads to sift through on exactly the same topic and deciding which one(s) you want to reply to - scattering everyone's attention and input on a subject here there and everywhere).

Also, something to keep in mind that is actually stated in the forum's info is that while people obviously can and do share information and advice as well as answer loads of questions, this is not specifically a "teaching" site.

So asking very broad questions without bothering to read what's already been written by others here on the topic (where again, you're encouraged to ask questions if you still have them once you've read what's been written) might not be met with enthusiastic or even patient responses. (This is truly just a bit of friendly advice - I'm not trying to be rude or snarky, I've just seen the way quite a few of the more established (and knowledgeable) members react to this kind of thing when newbies continually insist on asking to be spoonfed info in brand new threads rather than digging around to see if there's already a (typically very helpful) discussion about it already started on the site where they can learn and contribute...

#16 Lilu

Lilu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 12:20 AM

I understand your point of view really, and I definitely appreciate the help. A reformatting of the forum would fix that quickly. A new member area separated with an area on most asked questions would be my suggestion. (Formatting forums was something I did for a while) But I also understand this is an older forum rather set in its ways. A new member coming in and ruffling feathers is not something I want to be known for.

#17 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:47 AM

I think just get creative that's half the fun

For example , I really dislike Dark chocolate , I find it to be a horrible taste, so I wouldn't use it with what I would call positive workings, because I can't stand the stuff.

How another person uses it , is up to them, but I am me and what works for others is fine for them. It is the intent that you channel into the working that is important.

What do you do with say Parsley for example , brews, pillows, poppets sigils , incense, can you find a way of painting with it, the worlds your oyster.

just get your creative juices flowing,

#18 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

Based on what you said above, it sounds as if you want someone to teach you how to do things so you can copy, rather than learning on your own. You "didn't have a mother or grandmother to teach you this stuff". I hate to burst your bubble, but the vast majority of us did not, either. We took the time to teach ourselves (yes, read books - and forum postings) and work out our own way of doing things.

Y'know, the way this site is set up has worked for over a thousand members for about a decade.  It's not a teaching site so if you came here looking for someone to tell you what to do & how to do it, you've come to the wrong place. On the other hand, if you do your own research then ask for, perhaps, clarification or refinement, you'll get a lot of help - even more than you've received here.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#19 Lilu

Lilu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 04:05 PM

This is a new sort of community for me. What I am looking for, if you had read my introduction, is friendship. Wich requires conversation. Yes I would like some direction on how to start this prectice. But for the most part you have to show interest in other people and their paths in order to make friends. Thus my questions. As I said I have never experienced a forum like this and have no intent to cause a fuss.

Not asking for hand outs either.

Edited by Lilu, 12 December 2016 - 04:05 PM.

#20 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 08:49 PM

?... Does anyone use dark chocolate? And if so what for?

Dark choc is my go-to, less sugar chocolate "fix". The little, one-bite Hershey bars come in bags of milk/dark assorted or dark, and make a quick easy desert with a salad. Chocolate has been a Valentines Day love spell for ages. Mixed with cinnamon, there is no limit!

Hold your hands above the candies, with the open palms flat, & thumbs and index fingers touching to form an upward pointing triangle /\ , (while you charge them with intent,). It makes the alchemical sign of Fire, which is the element associated with passions and ups the amps. ;-).

Edit-frame the chocolate with the triangle, like peering through a window.

Edited by Zombee, 13 December 2016 - 05:10 PM.