• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:26 AM

I love to read and read loads but I think that over time, years , I have spent so much time reading about the ins and outs of various topics that I have almost halted my own development somewhat.

What I mean is I actually do very little actual physical workings, spells, rituals etc,

I am pretty regular with meditation, and work on grounding and protecting myself daily, trying to learn Tarot but feel I need to get on and start experiencing more of a magical life.

Can anyone else relate to this?

#2 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:33 AM

I felt that way when I first started, too. I had a hard time coming up with spell work that I wanted/needed done. One thing that I found helped is every time I had an idea for a spell or craftwork, I would immediately add it to a list on my phone. I especially try to keep a list of small spells that I could do for practice. I also have specific time set aside each evening for meditation and practice, so I can't use laziness as an excuse.

#3 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:06 PM

Duchess I think your right, most of the time I deal with things in the mundane so I'm often left with , what spells should I do. I really like your idea of listing small spells that come to mind for practise,

I want to start some more journeying with my guides but like you say a time set aside for practical work is a must for me at the mo too.

Is no good having the knowledge without using it

#4 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:39 PM

I can relate to what you say. It seems like I'm always reading. It takes time and repetition to start a habit, like snacking on potato chips. In addition to daily meditation, I do what may be silly things, just to keep tuned in:

Draw health and prosperity runes in the butter on my toast at breakfast
Cinnamon toast is an opportunity to welcome all the properties of cinnamon
Keep a Tibetan ritual bell on the stove for a quick cleanse-by-sound
Add my favorite magical herbs to the canned soup (or anything not made from scratch)
Store my crystals in tea cups filled with my favorite herbal mix of lavender, rose petals and mint to refresh them
Keep a water pitcher filled with stone elixir for drinking, & moon charged water on my altar for charging
Ink protection runes on the neck tags of clothing and prosperity runes on my money or checks
Placed a dish of coins and prosperity powered stones beside a "charged" lucky-cat statue
Placed orgone accumulators, a.k.a., tower busters in each room and at the 4 corners of my property
Placed protection bottle & charm bag spells
Use pink Himalayan salt tea-lite candle lamps for daily purifying
Keep a spray bottle of vinegar in the shower for easy aura cleansing (also cleans soap scum from the tub)
Keep a windowsill prayer shelf by the kitchen sink for use during meal prep & clean-up
Use colored sheets to induce consciousness changes or aid health during sleep, I.e., color therapy
Assorted household shrines

You get the idea...it's just little things as needed.

Edited by Zombee, 08 December 2016 - 09:53 PM.

#5 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:28 PM

Wow Zombee very creative.

You really got me thinking about how perhaps I live my lifestyle without fully realising it

I'm studying at the moment so everyday , i light incense ,that happens to be on my alter in my bedroom, to prepare me for study. My Tools of Divanation ( Pendulum and Tarot ) live beside my Bed.

When I'm doing Housework I'm automatically visualising negativity being removed, likewise when I'm in the Bath, I meditate daily , if there has been to much bad stuff or too many arguments in the home will go around the house with the singing bowl or Smudge.

The other day I found myself willing something to happen, when of course it did , I realised I do that a lot, ta da magic.

I have my essential oils which I will blend or use as necessary.

So perhaps that is my day to day

#6 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:00 AM

To me, meditation, grounding, and protection are far more important than doing physical workings.  I notice that a lot of people have the idea that you have to constantly be doing workings in order to maintain, I don't see it this way...in fact I prefer to use these workings in a more reactionary way because the more disruption I do the more likely I am to be like a lightning rod for more issues.  Knowledge/reading to me has been far more valuable and less problematic than regularly poking the bear.  Sometimes just writing spells or creating sigils that I can use on the fly are a lot better for my sanity than doing magical workings ritualistically on a daily basis-- because of the type of results I typically get...almost like stocking up on ammunition once a month or once a week is less "numbing" to my intent than going and buying bullets every day.  When I need it I'm not accustomed to it being there always or looking at it every day and it's more potent of a reaction or response from me...it's important I think.

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#7 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:06 AM

Yea Leighqt, you got it. It becomes part of you and just the way you are.

Caps, I've been known to harp on grounding/centering 'till I'm blue. :-) I do these while standing in line at the grocers, any time I think of it.

Edited by Zombee, 09 December 2016 - 01:12 AM.

#8 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:08 AM

For me grounding and protection is a must, on so many different levels. Like many I don't have the option of not doing it.

When your constantly picking up on energy you have to. I have had some ummm " interesting" experiences where my protection and that of my immediate family have been somewhat threatened . I have in these situations either done basic cleansing or on occasion more ritual based work to remove whatever was there.

You know I just had a little chuckle to myself as I have realised that most people, let's call them muggles for now, don't do this type of thing. The problem appears to me that I have felt alone, for many years, meeting only people of the rainbows and bunnies kind who in fact I just humour and say very little because for me it isn't all sweetness and light, he'll by my nature I'm not sweetness and light

. In fact someone came round my house with a friend to do a Tarot reading,the friend recommended her so in she came, cutting a long storey short we had a little chat as you do and I think I surprised her by not being your everyday person being completely in awe of her but we got on well enough, but by the end she knew I was somewhat knowledgeable. Anyway sometime passes and my friend says to me I have something to ask you , are you into Black magic or something along those lines. This Tarot reader had told her to be careful with me because I put my candles too close together or some kind of nonsense, it was funny on one hand but I was slightly pissed as I found it highly unethical and wtf.

Yes I just somewhat went off on a tangent ( I do that) but this has been my experience meeting people who actually , I cannot relate to as for me there is so much more, such a deeper connection and so much knowledge.

#9 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:18 PM

There are times when I do a lot of workings because of 'need = something needs to be changed, looked after, etc.' at the time. But I can also go for longer periods of time where I do no spells due to the 'need' not being there. I get behind in reading and researching, esp. when having to do a lot of workings and/or general life stuff.. Also, some spells, such as protection, are cyclical and only done once every so often to renew them, but as with others, I do daily mini-workings because the opportunity is there ie. food, drink, etc. Some other workings would be done on the fly because of an 'immediate' need existing - in which case the only tools I have are my mind and body.

I agree, that an academia Witch really needs to put that knowledge to the test and use it...sometimes experience is the best teacher. One can read about how to swim, but to be a swimmer, one has to get into the water and actually swim (just don't try deep water until very experienced).

#10 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:36 PM

I think everyone feels that way in the beginning, but the more you progress you realize it's not always necessary. You do need to make the transition from study to actual experience but you'll find over time that there are already things you do throughout the day that can be considered workings. One of the big things for me lately is cooking. Since going vegan it's not just food anymore but medicinal. So I've been learning how to use foods for healing. It's hands on experience as well, I mean I gotta eat and I don't mind being my own guinea pig.

Sometimes a big working isn't necessary. I can sit and talk with my ancestors and that usually gets the ball rolling. They'll give me the information I need. Sometimes I'll need to do a ritual, other times I'll just need to take some kind of action. Working with different types of energy is important (whether coming from a particular spirit, ancestors, plants, etc.) but you also need to learn to work with your own energy.

#11 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:45 AM

I've noticed with reading, and expanding your knowledge, it can sometimes be counterproductive.  An issue or some kind of problem will come up, and I think about what to do....and realize that I know six different ways to go about it, with methods from a few different traditions, and I can't decide what to do.  This came up in a conversation with a respected friend of mine in the recent past, and she had ran into this problem as well.  It's just something to consider.

As for working magic into your life, why not take time to expand your skills?   You can do things like a cleansing bath once a week.  It actually feels really good to get into the practice of doing this.  I tend to use a variety of things.  Lemon verbena, lavender flowers, hyssop, and whatever other cleansing herbs I feel the need to toss into the mix.

How about scrying practice?  You can choose a medium you would like to develop, and work at it for just 15-30 minutes per day.  Developing your skills with something like this helps with spirit communication, divination, and in general, gathering information.  It's one of my things, so I tend to bang about on the subject a bit, but it really is useful if you can develop skill at it.  Learning trance techniques, finding a good 'visionary' blend of incense, or music that may be helpful are worthy tidbits as well.

You could also develop an altar related to a goal that you have in mind.  Building it up, tending it, cleaning it, setting out new offerings or petitions, would help you develop a daily practice.

Also, things that help with your physical and 'energetic' health will help you with magic.  Anything that can help you with energy and vitality would be worthwhile.  I prefer yoga and tai chi, those being my habits, but I would recommend them, or something similar.

Do you have an ancestor altar?  Ever leave out things for the local spirits?  You could most certainly be developing relationships with helpful spirits.  That way when you need them, they will be there, and hopefully trustworthy.

Just thoughts, from my particular practices.  Hope some of it may be helpful.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#12 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

Aurelian completely with you with the knowing 6 ways to go about something but having that confusion of what to do anyway, that's sort of been half my problem, and where I feel I may have done myself a disservice as perhaps your friend can relate. What have done unintentionally is found a interest in many different traditions and really sort of read intensely about that then find some more information which leads me on to yet more information and possibly confused myself, the thing is I read things that really resonate with me then I want to know more.

To give an example, when learning about rituals in Garderian Wicca and it's links to Golden dawn,

This then lead me to looking at Golden dawn, , we know this has many other paths that branch off etc to include Kabbalah, enochian etc

I feel I read loads, maintained very little, and hell of confused myself
my mood around all this is ,I want to bring it down a notch, and actually just stop and really start working more magic into my life on a practical level

I use essential oil blends in my bath and it's one of the places where I enjoy meditating, that is until the water gets cold, as part of my steps into meditation I work cleansings on my self, I find it a really easy way to beginwhatever my journey may be.

I think Scrying is a good idea and have actually started looking at some Crystal balls, I know Scrying mirrors can be made cheaply but it's Xmas so why not, I deserve a treat,

I do Bellydance and really love drums , I find them incredibly trance inducing , likewise when doing massage workout. Funnily enough I have just started looking into Kundalini yoga ( I've not been very well, so have been trying to help myself).

I have a alter of type , but it needs further development with regards to ancestral work, I hope to learn more about this here.

I hope I have spoke in sentences as that's how confused I am lol

#13 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:45 PM

Aina can really relate to the cooking especially with a vegan diet. I myself am nearly a month into being Veggie, actually the intention was to go Vegan at first but my cooking is pretty poor to begin with and we , my daughter and I would starve. But yes I'm definately with you on using foods for healing.

#14 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:58 PM

Six ways to do something is not enough ;-) A 7th way is when you write your own, based on the tips from the other 6. Design your own rituals - if used - and spells. That's when it really gets to be fun. Even if you only write the spells and such, & don't do 'em, the pooling of the info begins to sink in and the fog clears. You can design "what if's" on paper then experiment intelligently.

#15 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:10 AM

This is a very helpful thread. Like the OP I tend to read everything and then run about too much just dealing with everything in the mundane. This thread is inspiring me to make certain things a priority ( which will help in other ways):

Meditate daily both void and focus work
Keep working on centering grounding and shielding and practise day to day as I go about my business.
Research appropriate offerings for the ocean.
Make time for tarot.
Order some mugwort and get to know this plant.
Make an elderberry winter syrup.
Plan a ritual bath at least fortnightly.
Plus plan and perform 2 big spells one for work and one for healing.

I like the idea of planning spells even if you don't end up needing to use them.

#16 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:09 AM

One of the biggest things that I have learnt since being on this site is how little I know and how narrow my thought process was in terms of my practice. I have since realised that there is so much more to learn about. For example my most recent project has been spirit work, working on scrying, meditation and communicating with spirits rather than just feeling them. I hadn't really focussed on it before but it was from this forum I got the inspiration and the plan to follow. So most of that learning is practical work and takes time and effort, although I did do a lot of reading before hand. Now I feel that I have "some" sort of working relationship with a couple of spirits I feel like I have achieved what I set out to do.

So for me now I look to see what other areas interest me in other peoples practice and plan another project. A lot of the learning for me to be successful with this requires a lot of research and reading and then experimentation. I have learnt that I need to take it project by project and this seems for me to be the most effective way of learning new areas of the craft.

I got swallowed up by all the information available on here at first and tried to learn as much as I could all in one go... but found that I didn't incorporate everything into my practice because it was simply too much. Now that I have started my new project, I know that I have to devote some time everyday to succeed. If I get distracted by rituals etc.. it will knock me out of the habit of putting the work in to achieve success.

So basically that is what I do, find a small area that really resonates with me and will benefit my practice and learn it, learn it, learn it. My new project = making salves. I have never done it before but I can see so many benefits to learning it. If I do nothing else but learn this over the coming months then to me I am still practising my craft and developing my skills.

#17 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

I could have written this myself many times! I have been known to read and read and read, and then get burnt out, confused, stressed, and full of so much information from so many different opinions and sources that I had no real motivation or clear path for actually practicing and working. Frazzled and a mess lol.

What helped was to lay off so much reading without practicing. I would pick one book, and focus on key elements from it that I felt I wanted to incorporate into actual practice. From there, I would slowly start practicing various easy things. Charging crystals, Giving an item a specific purpose/command, Purposeful baths, simple candle magick, which then I would read and learn and feel which herbs/oils Id like to incorporate into this. 

That is pretty much where I am now. 

Sticking with a single book until I have utilized what I want from it, and moving forward from there. Taking things slow, and not letting myself become so overwhelmed with the heaps of knowledge that is out there. Learning to trust your inner self is important too. You can read so much, and it may never resonate with you, as it does others.