Rune Stones Anyone?

Lilu

You would not be able to post them because of Agricultural Restrictions.  But thanks for the offer!  I'm sure I will be able to find some large Limas somewhere.  It has been a while since I looked.  I found canned Butter Beans and they are quite good.  But not for Runes!

Today I was in the Dolllar Store and there was a small bag of black rocks for putting around your plants.  Perfect for a set of Runes Stones!  I have picked out 24 of the best rocks that are flat enough to write the runes on. I guess I need a blank one too.  So 25 it is.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  I even found a linen bag to store them in.  Yay!  A new Spring project!

14 hours ago, Onyx said:

I guess I need a blank one too.  So 25 it is.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  

There is no "historical" precedent for a blank stone.  As far as I can tell, that was made up by Ralph Blum in the ...70s? The few other authors I've read on them do not include one. I've been reading runes for years and haven't missed not having an "Odin" stone.

Well that's interesting!  No need for the Blank.  Good to know, thanks Mountain Witch!

So, now I have my 24 black rocks, slippery surface though.  I'm going to try painting them with acrylic paint, see what happens.  If they are too slippery for the paint, I'm going back to wooden disks, it will be pruneing time soon and I'm pretty sure I can find a big around enough branch to cut disks from.

Acrylic paint works fine on those stones if you are patient and willing to apply more than one coat, it's what I use.  I prep mine by running them through the dishwasher in a basket and then drying them in the oven at 200 for an hour and a half.  Rough the surface you want to paint with 400 grit sandpaper and when you are done painting them apply at least 2 coats of polyurethane on both sides of each stone to keep the paint from rubbing or chipping off, this will happen just by being in the pouch.  It's a bummer after so much time spent. You can get spray poly in flat, matte or gloss finishes and one can will do several sets.

I also have never used a blank.  It isn't traditional.  I do 25 stones but #25 is a marker for the pouch or box.

Edited by Sagefire

I'm up to three coats of paint already! next a touch up in black to sharpen up my outlines.  A layer of white as a base, next yellow, then Bronze.  Last will be a satin varnish.  I did not paint the backs or at least yet.  I will have to think about that...I have plenty of work still on the fronts to go.

I'm playing with my new Runes all ready.  I'm really liking them.  I gave them a good spray of acrylic varnish and I'm just going to leave the backs blank.

I1463178955_DSCF2045(1).thumb.JPG.ab5665e10a723dbd2f4845e9f88f3cd8.JPG

I finally got a good photo to show you what can be done for about $7 worth of materials from the dollar store.  True the paint may chip with use, but if I find out that I really like them, I can buy or make a different set.

Edited by Onyx
  • Like 1

You are welcome, Onyx.  But I do not think that I can take credit for your interest, maybe you just saw my pieces and realized that Runes are something that you could express yourself with,,,

Edited by Sagefire

• 1 month later...

True, I'm always looking for a new project to amuse myself with, but credit to you for making it look possible.  

I mean, making a detachable pin on the front of the bag, to identify the set and to wear if you want.  Genius!

By the way, I saw a beautiful ceramic set of runes at the local Witch shop.  Just looking!  I might make another set from our Apple Tree prunings.  Just a thought though.

Well, nothing of suitable size for Rune making.  We ended up removing half of the tree, it was completely hollow inside.  I saved a log, it had a hole on the top and a hole on the side.  If I nail a round board in the bottom end, and stand it upright, the log will make a nice planter.  Put some trailing plants in it.

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2021 at 7:34 PM, Onyx said:

I1463178955_DSCF2045(1).thumb.JPG.ab5665e10a723dbd2f4845e9f88f3cd8.JPG

I finally got a good photo to show you what can be done for about $7 worth of materials from the dollar store.  True the paint may chip with use, but if I find out that I really like them, I can buy or make a different set.

A clear coat of paint will make it last even longer. 

Yes, I did spray the runes with an Acrylic gloss varnish.  Three times, I should be good for a while.

• Like 1