• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MoonOak20698

MoonOak20698

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:57 PM

I tried searching to see if this had been mentioned before, but searching "BetterWorldBooks" yielded nothing while "Better World Books" yielded everything, haha. For anyone who isn't familiar, it is a site not unlike Amazon, but strictly for books. They offer free standard shipping worldwide (all the time), and a portion of their proceeds go to funding literacy programs all over. :) Despite being a charity, they're not (so far as I can tell) religiously affiliated, so all of the witchy books I've been looking at they have had.

I hate that my first non-introductory post was a PSA for a commercial website, but I feel this book living crowd will be glad to hear about it. ;)

~ MoonOak ~

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

#2 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:14 PM

Thanks for the info MoonOak!

Just so you're aware, there's a section further down on the Forum homepage called "Shoppes" where this kind of post would be more appropriate for next time.

#3 MoonOak20698

MoonOak20698

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 07:48 PM

Whoops, thank you! I'm sorry! Should I delete it and re-post?

~ MoonOak ~

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

#4 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:02 PM

No worries - it takes a little while to get your bearings here :) I don't know if you *can* delete it, or if the mods would have to move it for you.

#5 MoonOak20698

MoonOak20698

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:30 PM

Well, at least now I know. Haha! Thank you, again! :)

~ MoonOak ~

#6 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:50 PM

No worries - topic moved.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#7 MoonOak20698

MoonOak20698

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 09:08 PM

No worries - topic moved.

Much obliged! Thank you!!

~ MoonOak ~

#8 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:34 PM

Oh hey, I work at a library and just finished packing up a ton of our withdrawals to send to them. I know a lot of other libraries do as well, so I bet they have some interesting books. I'll have to check them out.

#9 MoonOak20698

MoonOak20698

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:47 PM

Oh hey, I work at a library and just finished packing up a ton of our withdrawals to send to them. I know a lot of other libraries do as well, so I bet they have some interesting books. I'll have to check them out.

That's awesome!

~ MoonOak ~

#10 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 03:33 AM

Okay, moonoak, this is going to have to stop.  Your posts are forcing me to shop! :)  

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#11 MoonOak20698

MoonOak20698

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 08:01 PM

Okay, moonoak, this is going to have to stop. Your posts are forcing me to shop! :)

Haha, I apologize! I am an incorrigible encourager. ;)

~ MoonOak ~

#12 NorwegianWitch

NorwegianWitch

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:08 PM

I've bought lots from them through the years and have always been very happy with everything. Fast shipping and good items - thumbs up !

"A forest bird never wants a cage."
                                          Ibsen

#13 Moly

Moly

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 01:29 PM

Hi, I have been a bookseller in a traditional brick and mortar retail store for 8 years. I recommend this highly ethical bookstore mentioned in OP for second hand, out of print, and hard to find books.

Amazon is bad for people, it treats its staff appallingly. It is also bad for the publishing industry, it bullies publishers by manipulating the availability of titles to customers, with zero interest in the outcome for the customer, both of the availability of the particular title, and of future titles that the publisher could afford to produce.

Abebooks is also an Amazon property... The labour cost for them of this property is very low, but they charge sellers a fee for advertising with them through Abebooks... so basically this is a huge profit margin for them, putting more and more power into their unscrupulous paws.

So please shop with Better World Books... and alternative retailers to Amazon

Sorry for this message, I don't really mean to tell people what to do, just to give my perspective on it!!!!! Get your own information about it, and do what is right for you in your life.

#14 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:20 PM

Thanks for telling us about this shop, I hadn't heard of it. My budget will hate me, I'm sure! :P