Sign in to follow this  
RapunzelGnome

Favorite Witchy Cold Remedies

Otherwise, have you tried any of the wicked sounding onion cough syrup we talked about.  I keep waiting for someone to try it first:).

I've done this, only the way I learned was to use honey, not sugar. It actually is not that bad. Tastes better then many comercial cough syrups. Works pretty well too.

This is what I do, and it's so effective that I haven't gotten sick for longer than 2-3 days in several years.

You will need:

Echinechea tincture (I like raspberry flavored glycerite, plus the alcohol tincture just tastes too much like ... well, medicine. Yuck!)

1-2 boxes of Emergen-C packets (don't use if you're pregnant)

Lemons (ymmv)

Raw honey

Lemon zinger or wildberry zinger tea

It's very simple -- honest! You just drink 2 Emergen-C packets in your hot tea with lemons and honey every 1-2 hours, and take a dropperful of echinechea every 2 hours as well. Emergen-C makes you poo a lot though, so fair warning.

**warning: If anyone reading this is pregnant, skip the Emergen-c (since large quantities of vitamin c powder works as an emmenagogue) and just stick with the lemon/honey tea and echinechea.

I take a large whole head of garlic, peeled, simmer in 2 cups chicken stock until the garlic is soft and sweet, blend until smooth, drink it and hope that no one minds my pungent aromas. Even when cooked to sweet the garlic comes out your pores for days but it is so worth it, it works a dream. I find that adding parsley to counteract the smell makes the blend bitter.

I'm really interested by the sugar/honey onion concoction, maybe I'll have to give that a go.

Hahaha I'm also looking at this onion concoction with interest. I have a lot of trouble with a stuffy nose when i get a cold. And because of that i get post nasal drip and then sore throat and then cough.

For headaches and sores I've found that lavender works remarkably well as an anticeptic, anti inflamatory agent and painkiller. Only downside is that it's a natural narcotic so if you take too much of it you'll fall asleep on the spot!

When i have a cold i stay far away from dairy products. And make lots of rooibos tea with lemon and honey. It really hits the spot!

Mint can be used to regulate the body's temperature when you have a fever. Rosemary also works well for me even just as a normal tea and with some lavender it takes away some of the drowzyness.

Marigold flowers are high in vit C so i also make myself a fresh cup of marigold tea when i have a cold. And it tastes good with honey!

I'm growing fresh echinechea in my garden as well and it's thriving! Have no idea what part of the plant to use for tea yet. All the sites i go to research only tells me about the bennifits and possible side effects. Anyone here made purple cone flower tea before? Or used the plant in any way?

I think that's all i can think of at the moment lol.

Edited by Merianna

...not really witchy in the ways mentioned above, but it works great for me....when I first start feeling symptoms I take 5 Cold FX, and then 5 at bed time if the first symptoms occurred in the day. First symptoms for  me are extreme tiredness. I also take 5 as a preventative if going out in large groups of people in flu/cold season.

I'm growing fresh echinechea in my garden as well and it's thriving! Have no idea what part of the plant to use for tea yet. All the sites i go to research only tells me about the bennifits and possible side effects. Anyone here made purple cone flower tea before? Or used the plant in any way?

The root is used.

I find that upping zinc really helps! Also warm soup and honey tea with a bit of cayenne and apple cider vinegar

I was told about the Master Tonic when I was sick, and immediately went home to make some. There are lots of recipes online, almost all the same. Sometimes it's called Fire Tonic. I added extra ginger and turmeric to mine, and some more habanero, so I'm naming it Gangsta Tonic, because it will &%$# a cold up. You know what I mean.

Ingredients:

Apple cider vinegar

onion

habenero

ginger

horseradish

garlic

turmeric

Put everything in the ACV and let it ferment for 2 weeks, then strain and take a tablespoon or a shot a day to prevent, more to treat colds. This will definitely clear your sinuses. Take with honey if it's too intense. I'm hard core Gangsta so I take it straight, no chaser  :P

My other favorite cold remedies are hot water with honey and cinnamon, ginger komboucha (really anything with ginger, I'm obsessed with ginger and cinnamon), and vegetarian miso soup. Fermented foods are my go-to for healing. 

Edited by SelkieBlythe

I was told about the Master Tonic when I was sick, and immediately went home to make some. There are lots of recipes online, almost all the same. Sometimes it's called Fire Tonic. I added extra ginger and turmeric to mine, and some more habanero, so I'm naming it Gangsta Tonic, because it will &%$# a cold up. You know what I mean.

Ingredients:

Apple cider vinegar

onion

habenero

ginger

horseradish

garlic

turmeric

Put everything in the ACV and let it ferment for 2 weeks, then strain and take a tablespoon or a shot a day to prevent, more to treat colds. This will definitely clear your sinuses. Take with honey if it's too intense. I'm hard core Gangsta so I take it straight, no chaser  :P

My other favorite cold remedies are hot water with honey and cinnamon, ginger komboucha (really anything with ginger, I'm obsessed with ginger and cinnamon), and vegetarian miso soup. Fermented foods are my go-to for healing. 

I think just by reading that recipe my sinuses cleared and heartburn flared!  :o

I just sent my husband to the store to get cinnamon sticks and fresh ginger. I'm about to make a decoction for this dastardly cold. The first time I had one was at a middle eastern restaurant where I've been a regular for 12 years. The owner started giving this to me on the house after awhile, because it's amazing and cheap to make. It's delicious! And happens to work wonders with both digestive issues and soothing some symptoms of colds for me. 

On the sugar and onion cough syrup, how long should I let it sit for? I have a wicked case of bronchitis and so does everyone around me. (diagnosis via M.D.) I hear this variety can last weeks. I am currently on day 5. I can hear my upstairs neighbor hacking his lungs out as well. It is a very dry cough so I have been doing steam with eucalyptus and a variety of herbal teas teas including mullein. I just need a break from the cough due to muscular soreness from coughing so much. Dr. gave me codeine cough syrup, but 1x every 8 hours isn't cutting it when the cough comes back 3 hours after a dose.

Unfortunately, I don't do well with ginger. I causes me to become dizzy. I suspect that is due to low blood sugar.

Edited by Cameo

Cameo, use honey if you have it instead of sugar. Let the onion sit in the honey at least one hour, preferably over night so that the onion juices start to flow. Then you can strain out the onion chunks and keep the mixture in the fridge. Keeps for about a week if kept in fridge.

Edited by Solanaceae
  • Upvote 1

An amazing recipe against the pain in the chest when you have to cough a lot, so simple and so effective: 

1/2 cup of good quality organic olive oil

1 handful of dried ribwort

1 fresh linen or cotton cloth

1 fresh towel

1 formfitting t-shirt

Put the dried ribwort in the olive oil and very slowly warm the mixture. Do not burn the ribwort! When it is really really warm but not hot enough to burn you, place the fresh linen or cotton cloth on a baking sheet and pour the oil with the ribwort on the cloth. Fold it so that the ribwort doesn't fall out, and so that it is big enough to cover the chest. If the cloth is dripping, gently squeeze the excessive oil out, but don't let it be too dry, you want it really soaked but not dripping! Then place it on your chest, cover with the fresh towel, put on the t-shirt and go to bed. 

This helps immensely with the release of phlegm and eases the pain a lot. 

I hope this helps.

PS: Can be done without the ribwort too, if you don't have it handy. 

Ohhh and what really helps when you need to cough up the phlegm (I learned this when I nearly died of a very terrible pneumonia) is a breathing exercise: 

You need a tube as thick as a finger, the length of an underarm + extended hand, and a big bottle filled to the half with water. Stick the tube into the water bottle, breathe in as deep as possible, then breathe out through the tube. Repeat 20 times, 3 times a day. It loosened so much phlegm, way way more than all the "medication" they gave me for it.

So it's about a year since I posted this thread and like clockwork, I've got a cold again.

This time around I went straight for the oil of Oregano pills, and mixed up a nice little concoction of coconut oil and eucalyptus EO, also mixed in some Frankincense and orange EO too. The smell is so comforting and cleansing.

I also did a LOT of meditation during the last two days and now I'm Day 3, I feel myself already starting to come around. Much faster recovery than usual for me, but of course there could be a thousand different reasons for that.

Just thought I'd give this a little bump since it's that time of year again (in the northern hemisphere).

• Upvote 2

I haven't thought about Elderberry since I was young...it was one of the remedies my grandma swore by.

I might just have to add this back into my Arsenal

• Upvote 1

It's always recommended but never utilized enough. Rest! When I am ill I rest and nap as much as I can to fight it off. Rest and tons of tea with royal jelly or Manuka honey. ( Chaga mushroom tea... Holy basil... Chamomile etc)

I have a revolting cold today, sore throat and my nose is running like a tap! I'm going to try the onion syrup. I'm afraid :D it'll have to be sugar because I don't have any honey handy.

Raw garlic knocks the hell out of a cold for me. It probably sounds gross but I will crush up a clove or two and put it on toast with butter. It's good with olive oil and herbs as a dipping oil for a baguette too.

I work in the ER and I make a point to eat this a few times a week during cold/flu season. I am around hundreds of sick people every day who are coughing, hacking, etc. I think this is an excellent preventive. If I do happen to catch something, it is brief and usually mild.

The way I understand it, the cold virus loves the mucous membranes of the throat and nasopharynx. Garlic is a potent antiviral, so it makes sense that exposing those tissues to garlic would inhibit the proliferation of virus and make it less inviting. Anyway, it works good for me!

My dad's remedy was drinking a shot of whiskey mixed in a glass of hot water, then wrap up and go to bed. A friend of mine puts Vicks Vapo Rub on the soles of her feet and wears socks to bed. And the dad of an acquaintance of mine is an MD in Mexico, and swears by hot drink of a garlic cube dissolved in a cup of hot water. I had to go to the international foods isle at the grocery store to discover there is such a thing as garlic cubes. Yep, just like chicken bouillon cubes. Hmm, why not combine the two?

Sign in to follow this