• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 Mikham

Mikham

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 07:26 PM

It depends from the cold and the symptom you want to alleviate. I know and use some of them:

Ginger is a classic. Good for a sore throat and if you have issues like nausea. I cut fresh ginger and cover it with honey in a clean jar. It stays good for one year. one tablespoon in a tea or other infusion and the cold potion is ready.

Elderberry syrup is also a good plant together with willow bark tincture. Dosage of both should be monitored and the active principle concentration in the plant or the final product should be known. Those remedies are good if you seek relief from pain associated with cold and have no nausea or stomach issues.

Licorice is a good plant if you have a cold with cough. I bring 2 cups of water to boil with 2 tablespoon of licorice roots at low-to-medium heat. Over the tie of 2 hours the concoction is reduced to half a cup and that concentrated extract will help with the cough if taken twice a day.

Over the concoction I also take 5 to 10 drops of  juniper essential oil on a teaspoon of sugar.

Hedera or Ivy is a poisonous plant that is given in exact doses to stop the cough. Although it does not cure it, it helps if you can't sleep at night because of it. Home-made remedies can be dangerous!!

Thyme - as form of tincture to alleviate spasm of lungs, stomach and gut.

Woodspider - a herb with low toxicity also useful to cure inflammations. For a cold you can use a tea made of 3 to 5 grams 3 times a day unless you have problems with your stomach, gal bladder or you start having diarrhea.

Frankincense as form of extract or tincture is a potent anti-inflammatory plant. It works even better if mixed with licorice and/or willow.

Eucalyptus - in a form of tea at 3% concentration. useful when you have mucus and/or cough.

Tilia flowers (should be known as lime three, linden or basswood) also it helps to alleviate the symptoms associated to the cold. It has a relaxing and sometimes narcotic effect so is better to take it before going to sleep.

#62 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 08:12 PM

Ohh, I love a honeyed tea of mallow and slippery elm to soothe the sore throat brought on with a cold. For the cough itself, I make a silky sweet syrup of sipping whiskey, dissolved horehound or simple crystal candy, and honey and/or molasses. Warmed up and taken by spoon, it's pretty fantastic.

#63 Circe

Circe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:40 PM

Ah, I feel that this thread was made for me. Every year I get this nasty head cold and finally figured an herbal remedy that'll knock the icky phlegm and snot right outta ya! Warning, this is pretty spicy so I wouldn't take too much at a time. I swear by this recipe. It works wonders and it better than most of what you'll find by the drug store.

This is something you gotta make ahead of time.

Ingredients:

3 Tablespoons each of the following: minced onion, garlic grated fresh ginger and horseradish, mustard seeds and black peppercorns

1 or more whole cayenne chilies (or 1 tsp. dried chili flakes) 

1 cup of vinegar

1/3 cup of honey

​Lemon juice (optional)

You're going to combine all these ingredients sans the honey into a jar and let them sit for 2 weeks. Afterwards you strain the ingredients over a cheesecloth so that you can extract all the liquid. Add the honey and lemon to the mixture to make it sweet and work wonders. Pour into a bottle and store for as long as you need to. I warn you to not use metal bottles or lids, as the vinegar will react with the acetic acids. 

Garlic is antibacterial, antiviral, antiseptic, anti-parasitic, antifungal, stimulates the immune system. The chili peppers, peppercorns, and mustard seeds help clear out your sinuses and other blocked orifices. Vinegar tones down the flavors while honey sweetens it and possesses immunomodulatory wonders (acts as a stimulant). I know this recipe sounds gross but I absolutely swear by it.

Edited by Circe, 08 May 2018 - 09:40 PM.

#64 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:50 PM

Circe, is there a particular sort of vinegar that you'd recommend for this? I'm feeling apple cider vinegar...and that I'd really like to try this concoction out.

#65 Circe

Circe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:22 AM

Circe, is there a particular sort of vinegar that you'd recommend for this? I'm feeling apple cider vinegar...and that I'd really like to try this concoction out.

There are two different kinds I use whichever one I have on hand. One is Apple Cider Vinegar, yes. It has the most fruity taste of them all and gives it a good flavor. I've also used balsamic vinegar and that's worked out for me, too. :) 

#66 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:52 PM

Thanks! I'm prone to summertime colds, and usually treat them with the spiciest soup I can tolerate. I'll whip this up sometime to have as a more pleasant alternative if tradition holds true this upcoming season, too.

#67 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:34 PM

Just my 2p, but ACV with the mother is much more healthful than not. A lot of the vinegars (apple cider and others) have been pasteurized and thus takes out a lot of the beneficial elements.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#68 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:15 PM

Just my 2p, but ACV with the mother is much more healthful than not. A lot of the vinegars (apple cider and others) have been pasteurized and thus takes out a lot of the beneficial elements.

Seconding this because I can't upvote a mod ;)

#69 Phaedra

Phaedra

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:44 AM

Oh absolutely, MW. When I say ACV, the inclusion of the mother goes unstated. I've been hooked on that good stuff since I was little.

#70 Circe

Circe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:26 PM

So I just saw this comment and heavily agree with you. That's why I make my own at home. It's tastier, healthier, and has all the medicinal properties while maintaining its natural sweetness. I'll post a recipe for it if anybody is interested. 

#71 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:51 PM

Yes please Circe!

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#72 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:39 PM

Another yes please for the ACV recipe here too :)

#73 Circe

Circe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:37 AM

Another yes please for the ACV recipe here too :)

Yes please Circe!

It always takes me a while to post these recipes, but I finally got around to it. Here's the recipe:

NOTE: This apple cider vinegar is with "the mother" so nothing goes to waste but the stem. :)

Supplies:

• Clean jar – you can use any size jar (I have used a wide mouth quart jar and a half gallon pickle jar.)
  • Organic apple scraps – enough to fill your jar 3/4 of the way full
  • Organic cane sugar
  • Filtered water
  • Fermentation weight or small glass jar
  • Cheesecloth or coffee filter
  • Rubberband
Ingredients
  • Organic apple scraps - enough to fill your jar 3/4 of the way full
  • Organic cane sugar
  • Filtered water

Instructions
  1. Clean your jar very well and let air dry.
  2. Fill jar 3/4 full with apple scraps. If you are using whole apples, roughly chop them up before you put them in the jar.
  3. Dissolve 1 tablespoon cane sugar into 1 cup of water. You may need to double or triple this depending on the size of your jar. I would start with doubling this ratio for the quart jar and tripling it for the half gallon size. You need to use enough to completely cover the apples.
  4. Pour sugar water over the apples until they are completely submerged.
  5. Weigh down the apples with a fermentation weight or with the small glass jar. Any apples that are exposed to the air could mold.
  6. Cover with the cheesecloth or coffee filter and secure with the rubber band.
  7. Store in a dark place that stays pretty consistently at room temperature. I put mine in a cabinet in the kitchen.
  8. Leave it for approximately 3 weeks. Check on it every few days to make sure the apples are staying under the water and to make sure no mold is growing.
  9. After 3 weeks, it will still smell fairly sweet. Strain the apples pieces out and return the liquid to the jar. (Compost the scraps.)
  10. Recover and put the jar back in a dark spot for another 3-4 weeks, stirring every few days.
  11. When the ACV has reached the "tartness" you like you can put a lid on it or transfer it to a different jar with a lid and start using it!

Edited by Circe, 21 May 2018 - 03:38 AM.

#74 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for the recipe :)

#75 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts