• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Verin

Verin

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:49 PM

An amazing recipe against the pain in the chest when you have to cough a lot, so simple and so effective: 

1/2 cup of good quality organic olive oil

1 handful of dried ribwort

1 fresh linen or cotton cloth

1 fresh towel

1 formfitting t-shirt

Put the dried ribwort in the olive oil and very slowly warm the mixture. Do not burn the ribwort! When it is really really warm but not hot enough to burn you, place the fresh linen or cotton cloth on a baking sheet and pour the oil with the ribwort on the cloth. Fold it so that the ribwort doesn't fall out, and so that it is big enough to cover the chest. If the cloth is dripping, gently squeeze the excessive oil out, but don't let it be too dry, you want it really soaked but not dripping! Then place it on your chest, cover with the fresh towel, put on the t-shirt and go to bed. 

This helps immensely with the release of phlegm and eases the pain a lot. 

I hope this helps.

PS: Can be done without the ribwort too, if you don't have it handy. 

#42 Verin

Verin

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:58 PM

Ohhh and what really helps when you need to cough up the phlegm (I learned this when I nearly died of a very terrible pneumonia) is a breathing exercise: 

You need a tube as thick as a finger, the length of an underarm + extended hand, and a big bottle filled to the half with water. Stick the tube into the water bottle, breathe in as deep as possible, then breathe out through the tube. Repeat 20 times, 3 times a day. It loosened so much phlegm, way way more than all the "medication" they gave me for it.

#43 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:07 AM

So it's about a year since I posted this thread and like clockwork, I've got a cold again.

This time around I went straight for the oil of Oregano pills, and mixed up a nice little concoction of coconut oil and eucalyptus EO, also mixed in some Frankincense and orange EO too. The smell is so comforting and cleansing.

I also did a LOT of meditation during the last two days and now I'm Day 3, I feel myself already starting to come around. Much faster recovery than usual for me, but of course there could be a thousand different reasons for that.

Just thought I'd give this a little bump since it's that time of year again (in the northern hemisphere).

#44 neonshizzy

neonshizzy

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:06 PM

My go to is Elderberry syrup and a sage/peppermint oil bath. I've read a few studies that Elderberry has been shown to shorten the length of time one is sick (tested on children mainly but works well for me!) <3 Hope you feel 100% soon enough!

http://www.thevolupt...u7ciywhn7eh0wh5

#45 neonshizzy

neonshizzy

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:06 PM

PS - I ALWAYS get a cold every year around Nov/Dec too!  :wacko:

#46 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:30 AM

I haven't thought about Elderberry since I was young...it was one of the remedies my grandma swore by.

I might just have to add this back into my Arsenal

#47 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:02 PM

It's always recommended but never utilized enough. Rest! When I am ill I rest and nap as much as I can to fight it off. Rest and tons of tea with royal jelly or Manuka honey. ( Chaga mushroom tea... Holy basil... Chamomile etc)

#48 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 12:32 AM

I have a revolting cold today, sore throat and my nose is running like a tap! I'm going to try the onion syrup. I'm afraid :D it'll have to be sugar because I don't have any honey handy.

#49 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:34 AM

Raw garlic knocks the hell out of a cold for me. It probably sounds gross but I will crush up a clove or two and put it on toast with butter. It's good with olive oil and herbs as a dipping oil for a baguette too.

I work in the ER and I make a point to eat this a few times a week during cold/flu season. I am around hundreds of sick people every day who are coughing, hacking, etc. I think this is an excellent preventive. If I do happen to catch something, it is brief and usually mild.

The way I understand it, the cold virus loves the mucous membranes of the throat and nasopharynx. Garlic is a potent antiviral, so it makes sense that exposing those tissues to garlic would inhibit the proliferation of virus and make it less inviting. Anyway, it works good for me!

True magic is neither bad nor good. It is both, because nature is both; loving and cruel all at the same time. The only good or bad is in the heart of the witch. Life keeps a balance on its own. - Lirio

#50 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:27 AM

My dad's remedy was drinking a shot of whiskey mixed in a glass of hot water, then wrap up and go to bed. A friend of mine puts Vicks Vapo Rub on the soles of her feet and wears socks to bed. And the dad of an acquaintance of mine is an MD in Mexico, and swears by hot drink of a garlic cube dissolved in a cup of hot water. I had to go to the international foods isle at the grocery store to discover there is such a thing as garlic cubes. Yep, just like chicken bouillon cubes. Hmm, why not combine the two?