50 replies to this topic

#21 Lilu

Lilu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:16 PM

I have quite a few friends in the medical profession... I have heard some tales!

My Writer Support Forum http://heretherebewriters.jcink.net a positive home to any kind of writer.

#22 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:58 PM

I just can't get rid of this cough that has been lingering for the last couple of weeks after the initial cold seemed to run it's course. Any suggestions?

#23 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:13 PM

I just can't get rid of this cough that has been lingering for the last couple of weeks after the initial cold seemed to run it's course. Any suggestions?

:( Is it a dry cough or a phlegmy cough?

#24 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 04:44 AM

Please consider seeing a doctor if you haven't.  Could be any number of things OR JUST a lingering cough.  

Otherwise, have you tried any of the wicked sounding onion cough syrup we talked about.  I keep waiting for someone to try it first:).

In seriousness, IB's question is very pertinent to figure out what's next in the home remedy file.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#25 Nim

Nim

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 05:22 AM

Definitely need to consider what kind of cough you have, but honestly I think you should consider going to the doctor at this point. You do NOT want to be walking around with bronchitis or pneumonia.

While you get that appointment in order, you could try inhaling steaming water with a towel over your head. You could also add eucalyptus oil to that water right before steaming, but make sure you keep your eyes closed while you do so. What exactly are your symptoms?

#26 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:18 AM

Otherwise, have you tried any of the wicked sounding onion cough syrup we talked about.  I keep waiting for someone to try it first:).

I've done this, only the way I learned was to use honey, not sugar. It actually is not that bad. Tastes better then many comercial cough syrups. Works pretty well too.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#27 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 06:23 AM

Alright Im sold.  Ill make some soon :).  Honey sounds better for a variety of reasons.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#28 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

Anyone have any experience with Oil of Oregano as an alternative to antibiotics?

#29 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:49 PM

This is what I do, and it's so effective that I haven't gotten sick for longer than 2-3 days in several years.

You will need:

Echinechea tincture (I like raspberry flavored glycerite, plus the alcohol tincture just tastes too much like ... well, medicine. Yuck!)

1-2 boxes of Emergen-C packets (don't use if you're pregnant)

Lemons (ymmv)

Raw honey

Lemon zinger or wildberry zinger tea

It's very simple -- honest! You just drink 2 Emergen-C packets in your hot tea with lemons and honey every 1-2 hours, and take a dropperful of echinechea every 2 hours as well. Emergen-C makes you poo a lot though, so fair warning.

**warning: If anyone reading this is pregnant, skip the Emergen-c (since large quantities of vitamin c powder works as an emmenagogue) and just stick with the lemon/honey tea and echinechea.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#30 citoyenne

citoyenne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:27 AM

I take a large whole head of garlic, peeled, simmer in 2 cups chicken stock until the garlic is soft and sweet, blend until smooth, drink it and hope that no one minds my pungent aromas. Even when cooked to sweet the garlic comes out your pores for days but it is so worth it, it works a dream. I find that adding parsley to counteract the smell makes the blend bitter.

I'm really interested by the sugar/honey onion concoction, maybe I'll have to give that a go.

#31 Merianna

Merianna

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:19 AM

Hahaha I'm also looking at this onion concoction with interest. I have a lot of trouble with a stuffy nose when i get a cold. And because of that i get post nasal drip and then sore throat and then cough.

For headaches and sores I've found that lavender works remarkably well as an anticeptic, anti inflamatory agent and painkiller. Only downside is that it's a natural narcotic so if you take too much of it you'll fall asleep on the spot!

When i have a cold i stay far away from dairy products. And make lots of rooibos tea with lemon and honey. It really hits the spot!
Mint can be used to regulate the body's temperature when you have a fever. Rosemary also works well for me even just as a normal tea and with some lavender it takes away some of the drowzyness.
Marigold flowers are high in vit C so i also make myself a fresh cup of marigold tea when i have a cold. And it tastes good with honey!

I'm growing fresh echinechea in my garden as well and it's thriving! Have no idea what part of the plant to use for tea yet. All the sites i go to research only tells me about the bennifits and possible side effects. Anyone here made purple cone flower tea before? Or used the plant in any way?

I think that's all i can think of at the moment lol.

Edited by Merianna, 25 January 2017 - 07:21 AM.

#32 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 09:35 AM

...not really witchy in the ways mentioned above, but it works great for me....when I first start feeling symptoms I take 5 Cold FX, and then 5 at bed time if the first symptoms occurred in the day. First symptoms for  me are extreme tiredness. I also take 5 as a preventative if going out in large groups of people in flu/cold season.

#33 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

I'm growing fresh echinechea in my garden as well and it's thriving! Have no idea what part of the plant to use for tea yet. All the sites i go to research only tells me about the bennifits and possible side effects. Anyone here made purple cone flower tea before? Or used the plant in any way?

The root is used.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#34 Merianna

Merianna

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 06:20 AM

Thanks Mountain Witch!

#35 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:38 PM

I find that upping zinc really helps! Also warm soup and honey tea with a bit of cayenne and apple cider vinegar

#36 SelkieBlythe

SelkieBlythe

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:29 PM

I was told about the Master Tonic when I was sick, and immediately went home to make some. There are lots of recipes online, almost all the same. Sometimes it's called Fire Tonic. I added extra ginger and turmeric to mine, and some more habanero, so I'm naming it Gangsta Tonic, because it will &%$# a cold up. You know what I mean.

Ingredients:

Apple cider vinegar

onion

habenero

ginger

horseradish

garlic

turmeric

Put everything in the ACV and let it ferment for 2 weeks, then strain and take a tablespoon or a shot a day to prevent, more to treat colds. This will definitely clear your sinuses. Take with honey if it's too intense. I'm hard core Gangsta so I take it straight, no chaser  :P

My other favorite cold remedies are hot water with honey and cinnamon, ginger komboucha (really anything with ginger, I'm obsessed with ginger and cinnamon), and vegetarian miso soup. Fermented foods are my go-to for healing. 

Edited by SelkieBlythe, 29 January 2017 - 05:34 PM.

#37 Elspeth

Elspeth

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:25 AM

Hot Toddy with ginger, fire cider, and saline gargle. Oh, and zinc is a major player!

#38 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:24 AM

I was told about the Master Tonic when I was sick, and immediately went home to make some. There are lots of recipes online, almost all the same. Sometimes it's called Fire Tonic. I added extra ginger and turmeric to mine, and some more habanero, so I'm naming it Gangsta Tonic, because it will &%$# a cold up. You know what I mean.

Ingredients:

Apple cider vinegar

onion

habenero

ginger

horseradish

garlic

turmeric

Put everything in the ACV and let it ferment for 2 weeks, then strain and take a tablespoon or a shot a day to prevent, more to treat colds. This will definitely clear your sinuses. Take with honey if it's too intense. I'm hard core Gangsta so I take it straight, no chaser  :P

My other favorite cold remedies are hot water with honey and cinnamon, ginger komboucha (really anything with ginger, I'm obsessed with ginger and cinnamon), and vegetarian miso soup. Fermented foods are my go-to for healing. 

I think just by reading that recipe my sinuses cleared and heartburn flared!  :o

I just sent my husband to the store to get cinnamon sticks and fresh ginger. I'm about to make a decoction for this dastardly cold. The first time I had one was at a middle eastern restaurant where I've been a regular for 12 years. The owner started giving this to me on the house after awhile, because it's amazing and cheap to make. It's delicious! And happens to work wonders with both digestive issues and soothing some symptoms of colds for me. 

#39 Cameo

Cameo

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

On the sugar and onion cough syrup, how long should I let it sit for? I have a wicked case of bronchitis and so does everyone around me. (diagnosis via M.D.) I hear this variety can last weeks. I am currently on day 5. I can hear my upstairs neighbor hacking his lungs out as well. It is a very dry cough so I have been doing steam with eucalyptus and a variety of herbal teas teas including mullein. I just need a break from the cough due to muscular soreness from coughing so much. Dr. gave me codeine cough syrup, but 1x every 8 hours isn't cutting it when the cough comes back 3 hours after a dose.

Unfortunately, I don't do well with ginger. I causes me to become dizzy. I suspect that is due to low blood sugar.

Edited by Cameo, 11 March 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#40 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:10 AM

Cameo, use honey if you have it instead of sugar. Let the onion sit in the honey at least one hour, preferably over night so that the onion juices start to flow. Then you can strain out the onion chunks and keep the mixture in the fridge. Keeps for about a week if kept in fridge.

Edited by Solanaceae, 12 March 2017 - 12:15 AM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake