• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 10:31 PM

Hey all, I'm getting over a cold and trying to get back on my feet.

We all know that the only "remedy" for a cold is rest and fluids while letting the thing run its course, but I figured that you guys probably have some great ideas for alleviating the symptoms or giving the body its best fighting chance to get back to 100% health. I thought it'd be nice to have a thread dedicated just to this purpose and a quick search did not find one.  Its that time of year again...wouldn't it be nice to have one spot to gather up all the best potions and recipe ideas?

So feel free to share your favorite teas, soup recipes, salves, aromatherapy, bath salts, etc... whatever it is that you reach for first when you start to get the sniffles.

This time around, I went for Gyspy Cold Care tea from the store (elder, yarrow, peppermint, hyssop and assorted herbs for taste), chicken soup, and cranberry-orange muffins (I don't know why, but they sure hit the spot).  I tried mixing up a EO blend to put in the diffuser but found it was too much and triggered some nausea. 

#2 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 11:11 PM

I love these two variations on a theme:

Half a fresh, organic lemon squeezed
Cup of Warm water (not hot or it will destroy the lemon enzymes)
Dash of Cayenne
Raw Honey to sweeten

Or if you like, and can handle the extra boost of fresh ginger,

Pour a cup of boiling water over fresh, cut up ginger chunks (around a tablespoon but not too tiny or too big) and let it steep for a few minutes.
Do not add the lemon until it's cooled down to *warm*
Then follow the same recipe above

I find both recipes delicious and really effective. Hope you feel better soon, RG!

Edited by IslandBruja, 29 November 2016 - 11:14 PM.

#3 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:05 AM

Thanks, IB! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

I only recently discovered the joys of peppery hot beverages so I'm definitely intrigued by the cayenne, lemon and honey drink.  And ginger and lemon is a classic combo.

#4 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:21 PM

I like crystalized ginger.  The potent variety opens your nose and does something hard to describe to your throat- you can feel the blood vessels dilating- it is pleasant and makes you feel better IMO.  It IS high in sugar but it is so strong you would not likely eat a lot of it anyway.  The best crystalized ginger is usually found in natural/whole foods type stores.  Used as an occasional replacement for say, halls throat lozenges is what I do.  (The stuff I am referring to is also called "candied ginger" and is the consistency of a gum drop.)

(Incidentally I have found the crystalized ginger helps with mild heartburn as well.  The first time I ever tried this "candy" I was in a local witchy store and knew the lady who ran it.  I had pretty bad heartburn and asked her if she happened to have a tums.  Instead she whipped out the ginger and I tried it.  Since it itself burns, but in a pleasant way, I was skeptical- it actually worked.)

I also like gypsy cold care.

I have a significant cold myself at the moment as well- so happy for the thread- will likely try out your recipe IB.  I happen to have some ginger root sitting around. 

I understand you can make a decent cough syrup by layering chopped onions and sugar in a jar and letting it set up and liquify- the sugar draws the onion juice out into itself.  Then remove the onion bits when its ready.  I keep seeing similar recipes to this- though I must admit I have not tried it myself yet.  It sounds revolting.  But who knows.

I am a big fan of "Tiger Balm".  It s marketed as a liniment - Ben Gay type salve.  However, it also works like Vicks salve.  Its maybe a little to "burny" for a young child. But otherwise, I find it very effective. (Also found at health and whole foods stores.)

While not nearly as authentic as IB's recipe and undoubtedly not as good for you- in a pinch some Celestial Seasoning's "Lemon Zinger" with honey added feels really good on a sore throat.  They also have a blueberry tea I find nice during a cold as well.

Edited by Oroboros, 30 November 2016 - 01:38 PM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#5 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:45 PM

Has anyone used Willow Bark as an antipyretic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic?  It has some salicylic acid content (or at least something chemically very similar to aspirin) , which of course holds a few dangers for certain people and conditions, but for those who can take aspirin should function similarly theoretically.  But I just wondered if anyone has tried using a willow bark tea to bring down a fever and/or for aches and pains associated with flu or cold?  MW- I'm looking at you:).

#6 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 11:06 PM

Oroboros - I make a willow bark tincture. It works great, but watch the dose it's rather strong. For most about ½ – 1 tsp in a glass of water seems close to replace the effects of 200 – 400mg of ibuprofen(for me). But, I'd go light till you get a feel for it.

By the way it smells and tastes like aspirin.

The only complaint I have heard is that if other pain meds cause constipation so will to high of a dose of willow bark.

Sometimes, I will take it with mixing it. This can significantly numb the mouth and throaty, or be rough on the gut.

All this has been what I have seen with it so far. I don't have much experience with the tea. So, I can't comment there.

We are warned not to use it with aspirin allergy or breastfeeding. It's also noted that it doesn't replace aspirin taken as a blood thinner.

I also keep crystallized ginger around just for cold season.

And, I want to try the sugar and onion . I've heard about that one for quite some time but haven't tried it yet.

Island Bruja - I'm liking the sounds of the ginger variation I may need to give that a shot.

For cold I have heated whiskey, a bit of rosemary, and honey, in a sauce pan for 10 min or so. It needs to get hot enough to melt the honey, and strain the rosemary out. That worked for me.

My grand father swore by a spoonful of crushed horseradish. It worked, but I'm pretty sure it just beats the hell out of you till the evil spirits give up and leave.

And just because there is not one here yet.

Chicken soup for cold.

Drop 1 whole chicken in enough water to cover it.

Add ½ tsp of thyme, 2 tsp of salt, and bring it to a boil.

Put a lid on it for a hour or so.

Pull the chicken up with a fork and use another fork to pull the meat from the bones, and back into the pot. If its not falling off easy leave it go a bit more.

Dip it into a bowl and add a good amount of raw fresh chopped garlic and onion.

Okay, so I think the soups helps, but the real action is the garlic and onion. So if all you're up to is canned soup adding raw garlic and onion is still a big help.

Edited by PapaGheny, 30 November 2016 - 11:10 PM.

#7 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:16 AM

O, I have a salicylin sensitivity so I haven't taken willow bark myself but I know a lot of people who swear by it not only for fevers but for general aches & pains. Some drink the tea, others use the tincture. But like PG said, the tincture is strong. 15 drops in a glass of water is usual.

Ginger is my go-to if I get a cold. First, I love it. Second, it loosens up all the mucus. I eat it raw. I rarely make crystallized ginger because I'll eat it all up almost immediately. Horseradish is good, too, if you don't have ginger around.

Elderberry is good, too. Somewhere around here I posted a recipe for Elderberry Rob which is awesome for both colds & flu. I'll see if I can find it - or at least I'll link to my old blog post about it.

Edit: found it: http://www.tradition...coming/?p=70666

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#8 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:32 AM

I only really get congested when I have a cold, along with my chronic joint pain getting worse because my body is shifting gears to fight the cold rather than keep me from falling apart. So I make a cup of tea - generally green tea but I switch to rooibos when it gets particularly bad because rooibos has more magnesium, which my joints need. I sit with the tea under my nose until my sinuses clear up, then add lemon when its about cool enough to drink.

#9 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:27 AM

Perfect timing for this thread. I will be getting the ginger down me straight away. (sore gulp, sniff)

#10 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 11:13 AM

On the topic of things that may do more than help with symptoms:

There are many studies that suggest Vitamin C, echinacea, and Zinc help shorten viral syndromes and some studies suggest that Zinc in particular given quickly enough can help the body fight off a virus entirely.  My experience suggests all 3 together are useful. And more useful used preventively or at the first sign of symptoms, but also somewhat helpful at any point. 

-a note on vit C- First, smokers require more.  Second, if you are interested in an effective natural source look into "rose hips." Drinking a lot of OJ probably isn't going to get the job done. ;)  (Also, incidentally, if you have a problem with anemia, the body has difficulty using Iron if there is not enough vitamin C in the diet.)  If you have a sensitive stomach and choose to take vit C- take it with a meal.

Oh and while the reason often overlooked is disgusting- LOTS of clear fluids is REALLY important.  Not only is hydration, and flushing the system vital, but increased fluids "thins secretions" making all your, um secretions, easier to clear- AKA improved chest and nasal congestion.  In that vein dairy products, especially those high in lactose like milk, THICKEN secretions.  So, lots of milk and ice cream is not you friend when you're congested.

As is usually mentioned in a thread like this- and it should go without saying - do your own research and make sure you don't have any medical contraindications to any of the above!

Edited by Oroboros, 01 December 2016 - 11:48 AM.

#11 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:02 PM

O, I have a salicylin sensitivity so I haven't taken willow bark myself but I know a lot of people who swear by it not only for fevers but for general aches & pains. Some drink the tea, others use the tincture. But like PG said, the tincture is strong. 15 drops in a glass of water is usual.

Ginger is my go-to if I get a cold. First, I love it. Second, it loosens up all the mucus. I eat it raw. I rarely make crystallized ginger because I'll eat it all up almost immediately. Horseradish is good, too, if you don't have ginger around.

Elderberry is good, too. Somewhere around here I posted a recipe for Elderberry Rob which is awesome for both colds & flu. I'll see if I can find it - or at least I'll link to my old blog post about it.

Edit: found it: http://www.tradition...coming/?p=70666

-------------

MW- Thank you.  Can you recommend a good online resource for willow bark?  I know you don't use it, but figure you may know who is reputable that carries that sort of thing.  It is something I would like to try myself.  Not sure my local natural foods store has it.

------

**To all (everyone may know this but)- Aspirin (Salicylic acid) causes Reye's Syndrome in children-  I would definitely NOT use Willow Bark in a remedy for kids.  I don't know if the chemical similarity is such that it causes that reaction- but I certainly wouldn't risk it myself.  Pepto Bismol contains Salicylates and therefore is also recommended to not be used in children recovering from Chicken Pox or flu like symptoms. ( I would not give it to a child AT ALL.) For the same reason.

#12 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:29 PM

O - I'm a fan of Mountain Rose Herbs for just about anything. Except their shipping costs. Order from them only when you need a LOT of stuff.

But do check your local store, first. You'd be surprised how many do carry it because it's "natural aspirin".

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#13 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:51 PM

O - yes, zinc! I forgot that's something I take AS SOON AS I feel like I'm coming down with something and it really does help!

Hope you feel better soon, too Llyr :(

Edited by IslandBruja, 01 December 2016 - 02:52 PM.

#14 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 12:34 AM

Got a cup of ginger, honey and lemon right now! Hitting the spot

#15 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:47 AM

Got a cup of ginger, honey and lemon right now! Hitting the spot

Nice, did you try it with a little cayenne?

#16 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 01:49 AM

I didn't have any on hand but I need to pick some up. I can definitely see how it would compliment it perfectly

#17 Lilu

Lilu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:16 PM

My daughter and I have a cold that is in the lungs. Have had for about a month now. She is too young to understand how to cough up phlegm. I do have one ginger candy, but other than that I am at a loss. I boiled pine and orange peels. HAHA I even put an onion in her sock. I have put an energy spell on our honey, (though I am not good at spells yet I have a hard time believing in my athority).  I wish there was something else I could do, but my usual methods arent working. 

My Writer Support Forum http://heretherebewriters.jcink.net a positive home to any kind of writer.

#18 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:26 PM

Just be VERY careful trying to treat a young child yourself.  Their little bodies do not handle things as well as the rest of us.  I personally would run any treatments by a physician or pharmacist.  

Obviously a pure dose of mother's healing energy, love, and envisioning her well,  poured into a bowl of chicken soup won't hurt anything!  I just mean "remedy" type treatments. 

#19 Lilu

Lilu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 05:50 PM

Of course! Im just doing simple things. soup and herbs and honey. Nothing she wouldnt normally ingest.

My Writer Support Forum http://heretherebewriters.jcink.net a positive home to any kind of writer.

#20 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:02 PM

Lol,Thats' great,  sorry :) , get nervous when I see people talking natural remedies in regards to very young children (you would be surprised what some people do with the best of intentions.)