• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:35 AM

I did a forum search in this forum and, although there is quite a bit about scrying in general, I didn't see a whole lot about crystal balls specifically. If I managed to miss a thread, I apologize in advance!

I have had a lot of upheaval in my schedule and life in general and have not had time to practice my workings as much as I had wanted to, so I decided to throw myself 100% into divination, since that's a practice I tend to have a natural knack with. Cards have been my usual method, I started fortune telling as a (Christian) teenager and moved into tarot in my mid 20s. I've tried scrying in a normal mirror without much success, so dropping an enormous chunk of change was not something I was willing to do for scrying, although I've been attracted to the idea of crystal scrying for a long time. Yesterday I met a selection of selenite balls for around $20 and figured if nothing else, I'd have a pretty gazing ball for decoration. Of course I bought one. I attached a flash on and a flash off picture, although neither really do it justice on my cell camera.

Now, I used to have no problems at all with visualization, but over the last year it's become a struggle. Last night I inducted the selenite into my collection and gave it a go and much to my astonishment, I had wild success. After struggling to visualize at all, I saw a rich selection of images that made perfect sense. The point of my session last night was just a sort of "get to know you" and it was more than willing to speak. 

I don't know anyone else who uses a crystal ball, but if anyone here does, I'd like to hear about your experiences and techniques.

Attached Files

#2 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:32 PM

I have tried crystal balls for scrying but I just can't get it, I am usually pretty good at visualisation and focussing but have got nothing from them. I much prefer a dark room, 1 candle and a black mirror. Maybe its the mood, maybe its the flickering of the flame kick starting things for me. Maybe I should try the crystal ball with a candle??

#3 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:46 PM

I was really surprised by my luck with a cats eyes gazing ball also. I had to chuck my skepticism out the window first though.

I'd start to see a clear image, strikingly clear, then my logical side would kick in with "That's just your thumb showing through the back" or "it's just a weird reflection, nothing mystical". But then I realized that what was physically causing the images didn't devalue the symbolic meaning...I was seeing exactly what I was meant to see. Since that shift in perspective, I've had a great deal of success with the crystal.

Now I don't use it frequently, but it's a nice for me to put it in rotation when I start to get a touch of tarot burn out. Same goes for Runes and pendulums. Switching up your method of divination helps to keep a little mystery and sometimes helps you to see things from a different view.

Edit: I do use a candle in a dark room when scrying with the orb. And incense. Mugwort tea. You can treat it the same way you'd treat a scrying mirror and try to reach a similar state of trance.

Edited by RapunzelGnome, 23 November 2016 - 03:51 PM.

#4 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:48 PM

Is that the Golden Thread tarot deck I see? I almost bought that one....

#5 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:44 PM

I love crystal in any shape, color or form. When I "found" my 3.5" sphere or clear quartz with a tiny inclusion, it felt like I'd been in an elevator that dropped a floor! Whoa! The first touch and I couldn't put that ball aside. I had a gift coupon, and a 25%off deal, so she came home with me. Some of my best lessons have come with her assistance as whole concepts slotted into my thought flow.

I do a fairly classic gaze, with no light falling directly on the ball. It can be on a table in front of me or held in my hands with a white silk cloth. First I washed the sphere in cooled mugwort tea. Then charged it in full moonlight for 3 hours.

When gazing, I'll see mental images, but bypass and keep gazing into the center of the rock. Then I'll see floaty color clouds. I just note color and position and if it moves, then figure it out later. Then when it suddenly goes completely black (if I've waited that long...it takes a while) I'll see images within the crystal. And get whole concepts along with the image. By then my eyes hurt, my head hurts and it's clearly time to rest.

When I say I bypass the early images, I do make note of them, but don't dwell on them. It's like mental chatter, as if the ball is reflecting what I'm thinking about. So unless the image repeats after the fade-to-black, I don't pay much attention to them.

The floating color clouds indicate emotional input, almost the same as candle colors, left is no, right is yes. Intensity and purity of color I interpret as positive. Muddy sluggish color is negative. I'll see images on my mental screen too, which feed into the process, but the images within the sphere are the one's that will have meaning.

Frankly it's hard work. There are easier ways to scry. And I don't do it often bcs I'm a lazy cuss. Moon phase affects things too. Just after full works best, with the least mental fog.

By the way, reconstituted quartz sphere work too and cost lots less. I have used both, but I feel bonded to my little one with the elevator shoes.

Edited by Zombee, 23 November 2016 - 07:13 PM.

#6 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:22 AM

Is that the Golden Thread tarot deck I see? I almost bought that one....

It's actually Sinking Wasteland, but Golden Thread is on my want list! It's so pretty.

I have tried crystal balls for scrying but I just can't get it, I am usually pretty good at visualisation and focussing but have got nothing from them. I much prefer a dark room, 1 candle and a black mirror. Maybe its the mood, maybe its the flickering of the flame kick starting things for me. Maybe I should try the crystal ball with a candle??

I use a darkened room with a candle. It ended up working pretty rapidly for me that way.

I love crystal in any shape, color or form. When I "found" my 3.5" sphere or clear quartz with a tiny inclusion, it felt like I'd been in an elevator that dropped a floor! Whoa! The first touch and I couldn't put that ball aside. I had a gift coupon, and a 25%off deal, so she came home with me. Some of my best lessons have come with her assistance as whole concepts slotted into my thought flow.

I do a fairly classic gaze, with no light falling directly on the ball. It can be on a table in front of me or held in my hands with a white silk cloth. First I washed the sphere in cooled mugwort tea. Then charged it in full moonlight for 3 hours.

When gazing, I'll see mental images, but bypass and keep gazing into the center of the rock. Then I'll see floaty color clouds. I just note color and position and if it moves, then figure it out later. Then when it suddenly goes completely black (if I've waited that long...it takes a while) I'll see images within the crystal. And get whole concepts along with the image. By then my eyes hurt, my head hurts and it's clearly time to rest.

When I say I bypass the early images, I do make note of them, but don't dwell on them. It's like mental chatter, as if the ball is reflecting what I'm thinking about. So unless the image repeats after the fade-to-black, I don't pay much attention to them.

The floating color clouds indicate emotional input, almost the same as candle colors, left is no, right is yes. Intensity and purity of color I interpret as positive. Muddy sluggish color is negative. I'll see images on my mental screen too, which feed into the process, but the images within the sphere are the one's that will have meaning.

Frankly it's hard work. There are easier ways to scry. And I don't do it often bcs I'm a lazy cuss. Moon phase affects things too. Just after full works best, with the least mental fog.

By the way, reconstituted quartz sphere work too and cost lots less. I have used both, but I feel bonded to my little one with the elevator shoes.

I love it when crystals connect so dramatically! I wouldn't say my selenite sphere was that dramatic, but it made itself obvious as wanting to go with me. Ever since bringing it home, I've wanted to hold it and carry it around. I don't because those little things are deceptively heavy! But I do like to touch it when I happen to be in the room where my altar is and even when not scrying I like to look at it. It's so pretty and magnetic to me.

#7 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:30 PM

Crystal thrall. That wonderful connection, when everything around us fades away and only crystal remains. Ahhh-hh

And I can't be the only person who names their stones...?

Edited by Zombee, 24 November 2016 - 06:32 PM.

#8 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:02 PM

Crystal thrall. That wonderful connection, when everything around us fades away and only crystal remains. Ahhh-hh

And I can't be the only person who names their stones...?

I've named some of mine, if a name jumps out at me when I handle it, but many of my stones are unnamed. My ball is named Lucy :)

#9 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:11 PM

Mi sphere is Sophie.

#10 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 12:16 AM

I have two reconstituted ones -  a large and a smaller one. I named them Mute 1 and Mute 2 because they never show me anything. But I do well with a dark room and just gazing at the back of my eyelids. Anyone ask questions or to be shown an answer to a question, or do you just take what you get? Under most circumstances, I just take what I get, but at other times I will ask or go to Tarot. 

#11 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:43 AM

I usually ask "what do I need to know ..." I have used it to view the past, & I used the crystal to bless my staff after I'd finished sanding the wood. We three bonded.

#12 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 11:48 AM

I have two reconstituted ones -  a large and a smaller one. I named them Mute 1 and Mute 2 because they never show me anything. But I do well with a dark room and just gazing at the back of my eyelids. Anyone ask questions or to be shown an answer to a question, or do you just take what you get? Under most circumstances, I just take what I get, but at other times I will ask or go to Tarot. 

Hahaha that's a good idea, if mine doesn't improve I think I will name mine something similar. Having said that if I am honest, I never took the time to create any type of bond with it. I just bought it and expected it to work so maybe it is my fault. I lovingly made my black mirror so the bond is there. Hmmm..... it's making me think that I should give my crystal ball some TLC

#13 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:10 PM

haha, what appropriate names!

I haven't had time to scry since my first session with Lucy a few days ago but I just asked the ball about itself, after several flashes of typical images I see whenever getting into trance it started clearing out, darkening for a moment, then showing me images I relate with North Africa, so I guess that might be where the rock came from? Heh. It was about a 20 minute session overall, the first 15 minutes getting into trance and the last 5 showing other images/telling me the session is over. I'm interested to see how it works for other questions I will be having over time.

Tarot is my usual go-to, but I am hoping to use the ball for spirit work. I can't trust my pendulum very well unless it's mounted by something that is not my hands, and I don't really have a good way to mount mine right now, so I'm hoping for better luck with scrying. Mirror scrying hasn't worked for me but this experience with the ball is promising!

#14 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 09:16 PM

Hahaha that's a good idea, if mine doesn't improve I think I will name mine something similar. Having said that if I am honest, I never took the time to create any type of bond with it. I just bought it and expected it to work so maybe it is my fault. I lovingly made my black mirror so the bond is there. Hmmm..... it's making me think that I should give my crystal ball some TLC

That could be it, by size and looks I liked a different ball better but Lucy kept pulling me toward her instead, and I haven't had any luck with other methods of scrying before. 

#15 Lilu

Lilu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 10:03 PM

This is all fascinating. I may consider this some time. I am not a scryer, The only divination I do is runes. But I would be interested in trying some time. This is a valuable thread.

My Writer Support Forum http://heretherebewriters.jcink.net a positive home to any kind of writer.

#16 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 05:40 PM

Beyond the usual form of scrying, I have been experiencing that holding the ball in my left palm when meditating or reading tarot it seems to have a profound impact on getting into trance or discerning the cards even clearer. Lucy becomes ever more valuable the more I work with her! I don't think I've connected to anything this strongly before.

#17 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

I have an El Cheapo glass ball. My partner was really excited when he saw it, and begged me to let him get it for my birthday :D When we got it home and googled how to do it, we figured out it was glass and not crystal. However, I read that you can still scry with it, so I'm treating it as a training wheels (Tricycle! Haha) crystal ball. I've only used it once, I had the window open a crack at night and a candle nearby, flickering.

For a long time, nothing happened. After a long time of getting into a certain state, I sort of saw something changing, but I couldn't make anything of it, and now I can't really remember how that part went, which is strange. I do intend to stick with it, though. Does anyone count their scrying time as meditating, just curious?

#18 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 04:58 PM

You bet I do : ). It's the same faculties at work.

#19 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 01:22 AM

I have a glass scrying ball. Works great.

I also have an 8 pound obsidian sphere.  For just plain scrying, both work about as well, but then a simple  bowl of water works too.

The obsidian sphere has a different energy, takes me to a different place, if you will.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#20 Tricycle

Tricycle

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:30 PM

You bet I do : ). It's the same faculties at work.

That is great news! This may sound terrible, but I'm kind of looking for ways to multi task as I start out, because learning and practising so many new things is exciting, but I do run out of time :D I very much see meditation as my strength, and I absolutely do not see scrying as my strength at this point, so likening scrying to meditation will really help me to feel more confident when I practise. Thanks!