• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:47 PM

Wow, both fascinating and horrifying.  The bit about the pile of rotting would really got me. 

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#22 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 02:54 PM

Yeah, I just read it too and it's so sad to think how many disabled or disfigured children were held over a stove or under water because people thought they weren't human :( :(

#23 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:05 PM

@ Llyr- Oh good:) I'm glad you feel that way (somebody on here is thinking "Oh God why did he encourage her," lol). :)

I didn't follow up the post because I'm also "tangential royalty" like you, O :laugh: and didn't want to derail the thread further, so I'm relieved to see Llyr doesn't feel it was a derailment after all :D

I think the two of us together might spell rabbit warren trouble, O ;)

Edited by IslandBruja, 01 December 2016 - 07:10 PM.

#24 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 03:06 PM

Yep, and MF-ers still do that shit today and don't have ignorance and fear to blame.  (rant escaped)

What is it with the general idea of - If a person seems they may be something different, we should throw them in the water and see if they sink. That seems a common thread.  Must originate somewhere.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#25 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 04:30 PM

It has been a similar case for many types of people in the past, our history is filled with our egotistical ignorance that only the people that "look" the right way or "act" the right way or "worship" the right god are acceptable. Black people, Gay people, Transgender people, Ugly people, Disabled people and Fat people have all been labelled as such and treated in a disgusting way throughout time. I read an article only yesterday where a disabled man in a wheel chair was kicked off a dance floor because his wheels were damaging the floor.

People need to get a fucking grip. That's why I hate labels.

#26 Leighqt

Leighqt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:11 PM

What a interesting topic , I've never heard of this before

I can easily see how it came about ,and to our ancestors it would of been a very plausible explanation. I have seen a few videos on YouTube where people have believed they are hybrids with extra terrestrials beings, these videos do not state whether the person has Autism or other disability ,but the interesting thing was they identify with feeling different not being completely Human.

Thanks for the post,

#27 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:12 PM

As requested -

In Celtic folklore there is something called a changeling related to the Fae. Basically a changeling child was believed to be born of the Fae (Fairy child) which had been swapped for a human child by the fairies.

It is very common in Fae literature and also aligns itself with children thought to be afflicted with disorders or developmental disabilities.

Following a brief Google search I found –

“The reality behind many changeling legends was often the birth of deformed or developmentally disabled children. Among the diseases with symptoms that match the description of changeling in various legends are Spina bifida, Cystic fibrosis, PKU, Progeria, Down syndrome, Homocystinuria, Williams syndrome, Hurler syndrome, Hunter syndrome, Regressive autism, Prader-Willi syndrome and Cerebral palsy.

The greater proneness of boys with birth defects correlates to the belief that male infants were more likely to be taken.

It has been hypothesized that the chandelling legend may have developed, or at least been used to explain the peculiarities of children who did not develop normally, probably including all sorts of developmental delays and abnormalities.

In particular, it has been suggested that children with autism would be likely to be labelled as changelings or elf-children due to their strange, sometimes inexplicable behaviour.

For example this association might explain why fairies are often described as having an obsessive impulse to count things like handfuls of spilled seeds.

This has found a place in autistic culture. Some autistic adults have come to identify with changelings for this reason and their own feeling of being in a world where they do not belong and of practically not being the same species as the other people around them.”

It was said that you could “trick” the changeling into doing/saying something that shows that it isn’t really a child.

I found a story about an autistic boy who is virtually silent most of the time, and the things that he does say are usually difficult to understand. However, he builds incredible lego mansions and fortresses and builds them taller than he is, with attention to colour and detail that seem far beyond a child of his age (7).

In history gone would it would be very easy to see a child similar to this where parents or family might see their “dumb” child doing something very advanced or gifted and think that they have “caught” the changeling out.

So, were the changelings real and children of the Fae? Or did disorders such as autism play a major part in creating myths and folklore such as this one.

True- this is what changelings are said to be. However, I've also read about changlings being the cause of SIDS. The parent sees them as dead, but in reality they're just a stump or wood made to look like the child with faerie magic.

​The best way to tell if a child is a changeling is to make an eggshell pottage- if they start talking of things they shouldn't know of (and have had no exposure to) and are talking way above their age, then it's possible you have a changeling. Typically, changelings comment on making an eggshell pottage because they're confused. German folklore says to boil water in two eggshells. Another story has said you just boil eggshells for Irish Folklore ( http://pg4anna.tripod.com/change.htm )

Fae want human children in order to reproduce- they're often taken for this reason and are turned to faeries themselves or to have them for slaves/servants. Either way- the original child is returned unscathed, so the tales I have seen about fae eating children, I don't necessarily believe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Peregrine