11 replies to this topic

#1 Eis

Eis

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 03:53 PM

I love mead, unfortunately it's hard to come by where I live and the prospect of driving for an hour each way to the closest Total Wine & More has never been appealing or feasible.  For those of you who don't have access to the equipment typically needed to brew mead (glass carboy, airlock) or don't have the patience to mess with the six month process of observation and babysitting the mead as it ferments, this is really an excellent alternative.  In fact, I prefer my own mead to the brands carried locally; so much so that I can't really stand the taste of those anymore! 

I can't claim the method as my own, because I got the idea from a website... somewhere.  It's been awhile. 

This mead will be ready to drink in two weeks, though you can let it sit for longer if you choose to use it as a base for more elaborate potions.  The alcohol, pinot grigio and honey are good at masking even the most obnoxious tasting botanicals!

This recipe is for the base mead, you could also add fruit slices or berries if you wanted to go beyond the basics and get crafty!  Mulling spice packs can also be added if you like that taste, and it's a lovely treat for family and friends over the holidays.  Just read the pack instructions to see how many ounces of brew each pack is good for.  Experiment and have fun, it's seriously difficult to screw this up!

You will need:

• 1 liter bottle of a cheap white wine (I use the Rex Goliath pinot grigio; and I actually recommend that you use a pinot grigio to let the spices and honey stand out if you're going to stick to a basic mead or one crafted for a spell.  Sauvignon blancs tend to be crisper, so bear that in mind as it's the best choice if you want to add fruit to this recipe!  I have not tried using chardonnay, but it's buttery, oakey and would probably taste rich. Rieslings are way too sweet with the honey, blech!)
  • 1 pound of honey - NOT creamy honey; I use clover honey and it works fine
  • 1-2 cloves - pounded in a mortar (not to powder, just to smash a bit to release oil and flavor)
  • Cinnamon stick
  • 1 tbs. Orange peel
  • A pinch of nutmeg
  • Funnel
  • Strainer

Throw that pot on the stove!

1. Empty the wine and honey into the pot.  Heat gently (medium heat; dialing back if it starts to boil) and keep stirring. 
  2. After the honey has dissolved/melted, add your spices and keep stirring.
  3. Roots can be added at this time, if you have a potion in mind.
  4. A scummy substance will form on the surface; skim it off and throw it away. 
  5. After you've skimmed away all of the scum (it takes around 30 - 45 minutes sometimes!)pour the brew back into the bottle, unless...
  6. You have some leafy botanicals that you'd like to add, in which case now would be a good time to do so and allow them to simmer for a bit; dial the heat down to low.  I usually give those about 10 minutes on the heat before I pull it.
  7. Bottle it, cap it, and store it for a minimum of two weeks.  If you're like me you probably want to take the bottle out during the evenings and shake it to reinforce your intent.  If it's just for drinking you can leave it be.
  8. Two weeks is the minimum, but the longer you allow the mead to rest, the stronger and more robust the flavor profile will be.  Put it in the fridge after you pop the cork.

That's all she wrote!  I hope you enjoy making and drinking this as much as I have!

Happy brewing! :cauldron:

#2 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:27 AM

Ugh this sounds delicious! I can't drink alcohol so I hope I can live vicariously through others who will get to enjoy this!

#3 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:05 AM

It sounds delicious! Why do I have to be pregnant right now??

Can you describe how your mead tastes? I've tried a couple that were just... Not that great, in my opinion. I like the idea of using chardonnay, I like that rich, buttery flavor.

#4 Eis

Eis

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:01 PM

It doesn't have that funky, too sweet, honey-in-your-throat aftertaste. This is much more balanced, and the acids in the wine along with the additional spices take care of that aftertaste and mouth-feel. The standard recipe is sweet, but it's also savory like good mulled cider. That's the best way to describe it! I'm like you, I have disliked most of the meads I got from the store.
Congratulations on the incoming addition to your family! When are you due?

#5 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:18 PM

I'm definitely going to have to try making it, then. Afterwards. :)

Thank you! I'm due in January, around the 12th. So a few more months to go.

#6 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:15 AM

Oh I LOVE this idea. Great post, my grocery list just grew a little bit, I have to try this out.

#7 Elspeth

Elspeth

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:32 PM

I've had this before and it is absolutely scrumptious! The one I tried was made with rose petals and I cant even describe how delicious. I usually make spiced red wine this time of year but will be making some of this easy mead in the Spring! Thank you for posting the recipe!

#8 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:21 PM

ROSE PETALS. omg, what a brilliant idea.

#9 MoonOak20698

MoonOak20698

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:36 PM

I bought all the ingredients to try this (local honey FTW!) and my husband is like and excited child. He's was hoping to try and drink it on Yule, but it will have only been done about 10 days by then. Would it be okay to drink, or just nasty?

Also, is it safe to pour it back in the original glass bottle, or should I use something like an empty 2 liter soda bottle to allow for expansion? 

Can't wait to try it! :D

~ MoonOak ~

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

#10 Lilu

Lilu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:58 PM

Oh I want to do this so badly! This is a wonderful idea! What would you guys suggest I add if I want to give my husband a little energy kick, and for sure stress relief?

My Writer Support Forum http://heretherebewriters.jcink.net a positive home to any kind of writer.

#11 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:37 PM

I want to try this! I've been looking for an awesome mead recipe. Thank you! And I voted this up :)
Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#12 FlyingPeregrine

FlyingPeregrine

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 09:03 PM

This is rather simple, indeed, however I have a recipe to make a mead to ferment over time (ready in about a half a year, but gets better with age). 

I make a whole carboy at a time. I fill the carboy about 3/4 of the way full with water and dump it into a pot with about 3 pounds of honey. I bring it to boiling and add my extra ingredients in when I cannot tell the honey from the water. So, I just recently made an apple and cinnamon mead. I added the apples and two sticks of cinnamon. 

I boil this for an hour. After the hour, I take out the cinnamon (because I don't want to overpower it) and leave in the apples. I simmer for 2 more hours. 

Then, I remove this from heat and leave it overnight- apples and all- to cool. The next morning I funnel it into the carboy after spooning out the apples and filter it with cheesecloth as I pour.  I activate bread yeast and add it in, plus about 4 more teaspoons of yeast. I cover it with a medical glove and rubber band. The glove needs to be burped daily because it fills with air (sometimes twice). We add yeast weekly for a month. After a month, you cap it and let it ferment. You can get up to 20% alcohol this way. 

It is a delicious mead afterwards. We've had local brewery shop owners try it and it definitely warms them up after just a half a glass.

Just a thought if you want to have a simple mead, but don't need to drink it right away. I don't wanna take away from your post. Your recipe is definitely a good one for a quick pinch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Peregrine