• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:50 PM

Llyr, your attachments didn't come off as attachments. Try again?

I used to make & sell candles (still make them for myself when the need arises). A few things I will say to those of you wanting to make your own:

1. Beeswax absorbs color. It takes almost 5x the dye to get the same color as for paraffin or other waxes. Even more if you're using natural dyes.

2. Pure soy wax liquifies. Therefore, it's only good for container candles.

3. The argument against paraffin candles isn't that burning them is toxic (unless you're burning one as big as your car), it's that paraffin is a by-product of refining oil. If you're wanting to go green & don't want to support the oil industry...

4. There are other vegetable waxes out there, mostly from palm oil. This is a softer wax than paraffin or beeswax but is still moldable. One downside to vegetable wax is that it melts faster so your candle isn't going to burn as long. I use a blend of vegetable & beeswax.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#22 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:33 PM

Llyr, your attachments didn't come off as attachments. Try again?

I used to make & sell candles (still make them for myself when the need arises). A few things I will say to those of you wanting to make your own:

1. Beeswax absorbs color. It takes almost 5x the dye to get the same color as for paraffin or other waxes. Even more if you're using natural dyes.

2. Pure soy wax liquifies. Therefore, it's only good for container candles.

3. The argument against paraffin candles isn't that burning them is toxic (unless you're burning one as big as your car), it's that paraffin is a by-product of refining oil. If you're wanting to go green & don't want to support the oil industry...

4. There are other vegetable waxes out there, mostly from palm oil. This is a softer wax than paraffin or beeswax but is still moldable. One downside to vegetable wax is that it melts faster so your candle isn't going to burn as long. I use a blend of vegetable & beeswax.

I will try again from home, it may just be my work pc not allowing me to upload the pics.

ok that's good advice thanks, what % of mix would you use with vegetable and beeswax?

#23 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 04:37 PM

ok that's good advice thanks, what % of mix would you use with vegetable and beeswax?

It depends on the waxes. Fresh beeswax (from the apiary) is harder than the commercial stuff. (Whatever they do to the beeswax to form it into pellets or sheets or whatever seems to soften it a bit.) And the palm oil waxes also vary. You have to experiment with what you have on hand. I'd start with a 50/50 mix & see how it comes out.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#24 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for posting that info MW.

A problem with paraffin is that virtually no one would burn just one candle. So the cumulative effect of burning a petroleum product over and over indoors is the health concern. If someone's in a pinch, of course it's not the end of the world to use a paraffin candle, but most candle users utilize them on a regular basis in an enclosed space - not outside in the open air - and the toxins and chemicals inhaled build up in your body - moreso for smaller bodies like children.

Llyr - you could always just use old glass food jars to make your candles, no matter the wax, so you won't need a mold - oh, duh, but if you want to engrave runes on them, never mind :P

ps - the American FDA isn't a great source of proof for what's healthy or not - our whole system is controlled by lobbyists and special interests which promote or block to the American public whatever will help their bottom line... Just look into "Pink Slime" and how it's processed and the fact that the USDA purchased *millions of pounds* of it per year to put in CHILDREN'S SCHOOL LUNCHES!!

#25 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:14 PM

Also, I have to note for those who care, palm oil is literally driving orangutans and certain types of elephants and tigers toward extinction by eradicating rainforests at alarming rates: https://www.rainfore...topics/palm-oil If you have the opportunity to watch The Last Orangutan Eden (it used to be on Netflix streaming) it's a beautiful documentary about a truly remarkable and soulful species...

So, burning beeswax or soy wax (or a combination of the two for a less expensive alternative) is better for your health as well as the earth's.

And it's worth noting that although beeswax is more expensive, it burns longer! So to me, it's worth it... (and the smell is heavenly :) )

Here's some info from Big Dipper Wax Works:

"Beeswax, the purest of all candle waxes, is a product of the sustainable industry of beekeeping. The simple filtration of beeswax is a natural process that uses no chemicals and very little energy.

Beeswax is naturally aromatic, infused with the sweet, subtle scent of honey. Nontoxic and nonallergenic, beeswax candles burn clean and soot free. While burning, they release negative ions, just as seashores or rainstorms do. These negative ions improve air quality by eliminating pollutants and allergens from the air that we breathe.

The high melting and burning temperature of beeswax translates into exceptionally long burn times. While burning, their golden flames glow with the same energy and spectrum of light as the sun."

#26 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:07 PM

Also, I have to note for those who care, palm oil is literally driving orangutans and certain types of elephants and tigers toward extinction by eradicating rainforests at alarming rates: https://www.rainfore...topics/palm-oil If you have the opportunity to watch The Last Orangutan Eden (it used to be on Netflix streaming) it's a beautiful documentary about a truly remarkable and soulful species...

There are suppliers out there who sell wax from palms grown on plantations - nonthreatening to the rainforests or animals. It's not cheap but it's out there.

~ Henri Frederic Amiel

#27 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:35 PM

There are suppliers out there who sell wax from palms grown on plantations - nonthreatening to the rainforests or animals. It's not cheap but it's out there.

True, but most people have no idea how incredibly destructive the palm oil industry is in general and buy/eat/use products daily contributing to rainforest destruction. The link I provided above has very good info on the situation holistically - highly recommend reading it and signing any related petitions... (and watch the orangutan documentary - it's beautiful and heartbreaking and inspiring all at once)

#28 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

IB, I love your passion for conservation and I love reading your links and resources. I am certainly learning things that I didn't even know about so thank you. I will be trying all waxes just for the experience. All the same I have a new found awareness which will affect future purchases.

#29 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:06 PM

2nd attempt.

Attached File  test candle 1.jpg   251.42KB   0 downloads

Attached File  test candle 2.jpg   282.94KB   0 downloads

Attached File  test candle 3.jpg   181.93KB   0 downloads

Attached File  test candle 4.jpg   268.52KB   0 downloads

Attached File  test candle 5.jpg   258.87KB   0 downloads

Attached File  test candle 6.jpg   202.39KB   0 downloads

#30 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:07 PM

Woohoo it worked!! upload all pics on basic uploader, switch to advanced uploader and post. Viola.

#31 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:26 PM

So pretty! I'd use a larger wick though for a larger melt pool so you can get the most out of the waxy goodness

#32 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

IB, I love your passion for conservation and I love reading your links and resources. I am certainly learning things that I didn't even know about so thank you. I will be trying all waxes just for the experience. All the same I have a new found awareness which will affect future purchases.

:blush: thanks Llyr - I'm glad you found it interesting/useful. My deeply empathic nature extends to plants and animals as well so it's very painful for me to witness so much senseless destruction and killing. If you're up for it, another amazing documentary is Virunga (about a gorilla sanctuary in the Congo that's threatened by oil corps wanting to take over the land). My bf laughs at me for crying so much at these things (not in a cruel way) but it's tragic and also incredibly inspiring to see people willing to literally risk their lives to protect other species...

Anyway - back to the candles! :D Yours looks great! What did you use for such a vibrant red? I also thought of something yesterday: if you have access to used dixie cups (do they call them that in the UK? Those little disposable paper cups?) perhaps at your son's school or something, you could use them to make votives (perfect shape) and just rip away the mold when it's done.

Oooh - just thought of something else: You could also use those funny cone paper cups they have in doctors' offices to make cone-shaped candles, if you're into utilizing special shapes in your workings...

#33 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:54 PM

Shit I.B.,   1st I had to stop buying sandalwood, now this.  Ignorance is bliss...

Actually, it is good information.  I am not hugely involved in environmentalism- but I certainly don't want to contribute to the problem either.  Thank you for the info:)

------------

Llyr, so you have candles already consecrated with your blood... I call that a win.  Seriously, looks good though.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#34 CailinRua

CailinRua

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:29 AM

OH thank you for the link, i saw this too late to use the sale code, but the prices arent bad and i LOVE the sugar skull candle.

#35 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:37 AM

So pretty! I'd use a larger wick though for a larger melt pool so you can get the most out of the waxy goodness

Kalinia when you say larger you mean thicker right?

:blush: thanks Llyr - I'm glad you found it interesting/useful. My deeply empathic nature extends to plants and animals as well so it's very painful for me to witness so much senseless destruction and killing. If you're up for it, another amazing documentary is Virunga (about a gorilla sanctuary in the Congo that's threatened by oil corps wanting to take over the land). My bf laughs at me for crying so much at these things (not in a cruel way) but it's tragic and also incredibly inspiring to see people willing to literally risk their lives to protect other species...

Anyway - back to the candles! :D Yours looks great! What did you use for such a vibrant red? I also thought of something yesterday: if you have access to used dixie cups (do they call them that in the UK? Those little disposable paper cups?) perhaps at your son's school or something, you could use them to make votives (perfect shape) and just rip away the mold when it's done.

Oooh - just thought of something else: You could also use those funny cone paper cups they have in doctors' offices to make cone-shaped candles, if you're into utilizing special shapes in your workings...

I will keep an eye out for that documentary. The red comes from some colouring blocks that I ordered from Amazon. Yeah I have been thinking of other shapes that I can use to make them. I made 2 more over the weekend using a costa coffee latte glass and a short but wide Gin glass. Great idea with the disposable cups!!

Shit I.B.,   1st I had to stop buying sandalwood, now this.  Ignorance is bliss...

Actually, it is good information.  I am not hugely involved in environmentalism- but I certainly don't want to contribute to the problem either.  Thank you for the info:)

------------

Llyr, so you have candles already consecrated with your blood... I call that a win.  Seriously, looks good though.

Aha!!! Good point Oroboros, I didn't think of that!! lol ;) Thank you.

#36 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:52 PM

OH thank you for the link, i saw this too late to use the sale code, but the prices arent bad and i LOVE the sugar skull candle.

They have a sales page up year round in addition to the seasonal sales like the one with the code I posted earlier. They're always changing what's on this page since they're "seconds" (but perfectly fine for my purposes - I'm not staging a wedding or something with these so they don't need to be "perfect" ! :P ) so you can check back regularly - who knows, after Nov 1 they might put the sugar skull candles on sale!
https://www.bigdippe...cfm?category=53

#37 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for posting that info MW.

A problem with paraffin is that virtually no one would burn just one candle. So the cumulative effect of burning a petroleum product over and over indoors is the health concern. If someone's in a pinch, of course it's not the end of the world to use a paraffin candle, but most candle users utilize them on a regular basis in an enclosed space - not outside in the open air - and the toxins and chemicals inhaled build up in your body - moreso for smaller bodies like children.

Llyr - you could always just use old glass food jars to make your candles, no matter the wax, so you won't need a mold - oh, duh, but if you want to engrave runes on them, never mind :P

ps - the American FDA isn't a great source of proof for what's healthy or not - our whole system is controlled by lobbyists and special interests which promote or block to the American public whatever will help their bottom line... Just look into "Pink Slime" and how it's processed and the fact that the USDA purchased *millions of pounds* of it per year to put in CHILDREN'S SCHOOL LUNCHES!!

I have noticed that when I burn paraffin wax candles that my eyes and nose and lungs feel irritated and burn slightly. Which is not a good sign. So I'm definitely going to get some beeswax candles and see how it goes with them.

#38 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 07:59 PM

Okay, so I got my first order of candles from Big Dipper Wax Works! I had to wait until I had some money, their candles are pretty spendy! But I have to say I love the fresh clean scent of the bees wax, I've never burned a pure beeswax candle before! They also look pretty in their natural un-dyed state. I ordered on Wednesday evening, and considering that Thursday was Thanksgiving and I have no idea if they take Fridays off or if they are closed on Saturdays, I received my order on Monday morning, which I think is pretty good turn around time. They were packaged very well and they even added some extra tealight candles, which was a really nice surprise! Oh, and lots of match booklets, too.

The only thing is the cost. I wonder if I could find a local apiary and get raw beeswax for cheaper and just make my own. It would probably be more cost effective that way.

#39 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:11 PM

The only thing is the cost. I wonder if I could find a local apiary and get raw beeswax for cheaper and just make my own. It would probably be more cost effective that way.

Yeah, that's why I only buy their clearance and sale candles. But your idea to make your own is a good one if you have an apiarist relatively close by to cut out shipping costs...

#40 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:21 AM

Just wanted to give anyone interested a heads up that right now their fun black spider candles are 30% off & their sugar skull candles are 20% off here:

https://www.bigdippe...75&ParentCat=53

and here: https://www.bigdippe...58&ParentCat=53