• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:08 PM

I order from Big Dipper Wax Works in Washington state when they're having sales (they usually have discounted "seconds" as well which are always nice) because their candles are so delicious (and I'm sure you know, burning beeswax is actually good for the air vs other types of candles).

https://www.bigdipperwaxworks.com/

#2 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:14 PM

I'm putting this info in a separate post because it's only until next Thursday, unlike the link above that's year round: they're having a 20% off sale on anything "Halloween" (which isn't just their skull, spider or pumpkin shaped candles but also regular tapers, votives, and tea lights!)

Anyway, here's the link to all of the products that qualify for the discount that you won't find on their page (it's for their newsletter subscribers which I just got today) so I just wanted to share with you guys - if you go here and use HALLOW16 when you check out you'll get an extra 20% off:
https://www.bigdippe..._eid=86b8dca76f

The sale ends Thursday, Oct 13th

Happy October!
:ani_witch_moon:

Edited by IslandBruja, 05 October 2016 - 11:53 PM.

#3 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:21 AM

Thank you for the link! I live in WA and I didn't even know they existed.

#4 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:42 AM

Thank you for the link! I live in WA and I didn't even know they existed.

If you live in WA you should see if you're close enough to go in person - they are open to the public and you could save on shipping! (and how divine would it smell there??? )

Edited by IslandBruja, 06 October 2016 - 09:43 AM.

#5 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 09:59 AM

Really cool candles IB, shame they don't ship to the UK.

No matter, My stuff have come back from Amazon so I will be attempting to make my own candles this weekend...  it may be a bit messy but I can't wait to give it a go!

#6 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 01:55 PM

Nice ty! I'm addicted to free two day shipping on Amazon prime lol

#7 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 October 2016 - 02:27 PM

Urgh.... I haven't got the prime.... I don't use it enough for it to be worth the extra money :(

#8 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:02 AM

What I like is that the say that their candle dyes are made with all natural dyes. I wonder how they get the black? I would love to make my own candles with beeswax and natural dyes, but I'd be using a lot of black candles. Hmmm... I should look that up.

#9 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 04:41 AM

What I like is that the say that their candle dyes are made with all natural dyes. I wonder how they get the black? I would love to make my own candles with beeswax and natural dyes, but I'd be using a lot of black candles. Hmmm... I should look that up.

Yeah - that's part of why I find them to be such high quality - great colours and you're not inhaling chemicals... I also love all of the info on beeswax they have on their site.

I'd guess if you visited you might be able to see some of their candle making process and perhaps ask about how they do the natural black? I suggested to them if they'd offer their "sugar skull" candles in white, black, and red, they'd likely sell A LOT more ;)

Edited by IslandBruja, 07 October 2016 - 04:42 AM.

#10 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 01:21 PM

Activated charcoal is what most use for black in natural products :)

#11 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

Activated charcoal is what most use for black in natural products :)

Yep, although you can use normal firewood charcoal to color beeswax black, if you ground it to a powder. 
It will likely send cracks and sparkles around though, to be used carefully :) 

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#12 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 07:39 PM

That's interesting, I should have thought of that! I actually have a large bag of activated charcoal in my cupboard. Will the activated charcoal make the candle crack and sparkle, or is that just with normal firewood charcoal?

#13 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:40 PM

I havnt noticed any crackling with the AC

#14 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:19 PM

I have just finished my first tester candle that I made from paraffin wax, I had to do 3 separate mixes as the first two wasn't enough to fill the mould. I used red dye blocks so potentially I may have 3 layers of varying reds. I also added stearin to toughen the candle.

I let it cool over night so today I am going to take it out of the mould, check it for any air bubbles and engrave it with a runic symbol and paint that white. If it burns well then I will crack on with making a lot more.

I will post pics when I have painted the symbol Kalinia.

#15 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:26 PM

The site times out and if you click submit twice it double posts. Happens from time to time. Can't wait to see it!

#16 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:37 PM

The site times out and if you click submit twice it double posts. Happens from time to time. Can't wait to see it!

Thank you :)

#17 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 08:27 PM

Oh hey, fellow Washingtonian here, and I'd never heard of them either. A road trip might be in order...

#18 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:29 PM

I have just finished my first tester candle that I made from paraffin wax, I had to do 3 separate mixes as the first two wasn't enough to fill the mould. I used red dye blocks so potentially I may have 3 layers of varying reds. I also added stearin to toughen the candle.

I let it cool over night so today I am going to take it out of the mould, check it for any air bubbles and engrave it with a runic symbol and paint that white. If it burns well then I will crack on with making a lot more.

I will post pics when I have painted the symbol Kalinia.

oh no! Llyr - Paraffin is literally the WORST thing you can be burning. I did a quick google search just for "burning paraffin" and this informative blog laying it out came up:

http://domesticgeekg...k-paraffin-wax/

They're terrible for your health and for the air. I prefer beeswax because it actually purifies the air as it burns, but soy wax is good too... We don't want you fumigating yourself or your family with toxic waste!  :o

#19 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:41 AM

oh no! Llyr - Paraffin is literally the WORST thing you can be burning. I did a quick google search just for "burning paraffin" and this informative blog laying it out came up:

http://domesticgeekg...k-paraffin-wax/

They're terrible for your health and for the air. I prefer beeswax because it actually purifies the air as it burns, but soy wax is good too... We don't want you fumigating yourself or your family with toxic waste!  :o

Hmmm..... Well it's a little late now!!! lol Thank you IB for the information, I have also done some research and there is some that counter that argument so I am not sure quite what to believe at the moment.

Here is a statement from the National Candle Association website on the question are paraffin wax candles toxic? - No, paraffin wax, like all waxes is non-toxic. In fact, paraffin is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use in food, cosmetics and medical applications. Food-grade paraffin is commonly used for manufacturing candles.

I also checked out the question about soot and the question is it dangerous? The answer states - No. The minuscule amount of soot produced by a candle is the natural by-product of incomplete combustion. Candle soot is composed primarily of elemental carbon particles and is similar to the soot given off by kitchen toasters and cooking oils. These everyday household sources of soot are not considered a health concern, are chemically different from the soot formed by the burning of diesel fuel, coal and gasoline etc.

Having said that, I think further purchases will now be beeswax or soyawax.

For information purposes only, I will post the full process in pictures when I remember just how the hell to do it! :)

#20 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:03 AM

So because I was too excited to see if the candle burnt well last night, I couldn't be arsed to engrave and paint the symbols on it and just wanted to see if it worked. The flame was perfect although because the camera isn't great on the iphone the photo doesn't do it justice.

I will be making more, I am going to try with different types of wax. Also, because I used a tin of beans for my mould, I didn't realise that it was ribbed inside and so I did have a little difficulty in getting the candle out. I had to use a scissors to make a cut and then use a pliers to peel it off in sections.

I cut my hand twice doing it so I am definitely going to invest in some proper mould's for the candles.