Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IslandBruja

High quality Beeswax Candles at good prices

I order from Big Dipper Wax Works in Washington state when they're having sales (they usually have discounted "seconds" as well which are always nice) because their candles are so delicious (and I'm sure you know, burning beeswax is actually good for the air vs other types of candles).

https://www.bigdipperwaxworks.com/

I'm putting this info in a separate post because it's only until next Thursday, unlike the link above that's year round: they're having a 20% off sale on anything "Halloween" (which isn't just their skull, spider or pumpkin shaped candles but also regular tapers, votives, and tea lights!)

Anyway, here's the link to all of the products that qualify for the discount that you won't find on their page (it's for their newsletter subscribers which I just got today) so I just wanted to share with you guys - if you go here and use HALLOW16 when you check out you'll get an extra 20% off:

https://www.bigdipperwaxworks.com/index.cfm?category=33&mc_cid=a4622d4ae0&mc_eid=86b8dca76f

The sale ends Thursday, Oct 13th

Happy October!

:ani_witch_moon:

Thank you for the link! I live in WA and I didn't even know they existed.

If you live in WA you should see if you're close enough to go in person - they are open to the public and you could save on shipping! (and how divine would it smell there??? )

Really cool candles IB, shame they don't ship to the UK.

No matter, My stuff have come back from Amazon so I will be attempting to make my own candles this weekend...  it may be a bit messy but I can't wait to give it a go!

Urgh.... I haven't got the prime.... I don't use it enough for it to be worth the extra money :(

What I like is that the say that their candle dyes are made with all natural dyes. I wonder how they get the black? I would love to make my own candles with beeswax and natural dyes, but I'd be using a lot of black candles. Hmmm... I should look that up.

What I like is that the say that their candle dyes are made with all natural dyes. I wonder how they get the black? I would love to make my own candles with beeswax and natural dyes, but I'd be using a lot of black candles. Hmmm... I should look that up.

Yeah - that's part of why I find them to be such high quality - great colours and you're not inhaling chemicals... I also love all of the info on beeswax they have on their site.

I'd guess if you visited you might be able to see some of their candle making process and perhaps ask about how they do the natural black? I suggested to them if they'd offer their "sugar skull" candles in white, black, and red, they'd likely sell A LOT more ;)

Activated charcoal is what most use for black in natural products :)

Yep, although you can use normal firewood charcoal to color beeswax black, if you ground it to a powder. 

It will likely send cracks and sparkles around though, to be used carefully :) 

That's interesting, I should have thought of that! I actually have a large bag of activated charcoal in my cupboard. Will the activated charcoal make the candle crack and sparkle, or is that just with normal firewood charcoal?

I have just finished my first tester candle that I made from paraffin wax, I had to do 3 separate mixes as the first two wasn't enough to fill the mould. I used red dye blocks so potentially I may have 3 layers of varying reds. I also added stearin to toughen the candle.

I let it cool over night so today I am going to take it out of the mould, check it for any air bubbles and engrave it with a runic symbol and paint that white. If it burns well then I will crack on with making a lot more.

I will post pics when I have painted the symbol Kalinia.

The site times out and if you click submit twice it double posts. Happens from time to time. Can't wait to see it!

The site times out and if you click submit twice it double posts. Happens from time to time. Can't wait to see it!

Thank you :)

Oh hey, fellow Washingtonian here, and I'd never heard of them either. A road trip might be in order...

I have just finished my first tester candle that I made from paraffin wax, I had to do 3 separate mixes as the first two wasn't enough to fill the mould. I used red dye blocks so potentially I may have 3 layers of varying reds. I also added stearin to toughen the candle.

I let it cool over night so today I am going to take it out of the mould, check it for any air bubbles and engrave it with a runic symbol and paint that white. If it burns well then I will crack on with making a lot more.

I will post pics when I have painted the symbol Kalinia.

oh no! Llyr - Paraffin is literally the WORST thing you can be burning. I did a quick google search just for "burning paraffin" and this informative blog laying it out came up:

http://domesticgeekgirl.com/health-home/candles-toxic-closer-look-paraffin-wax/

They're terrible for your health and for the air. I prefer beeswax because it actually purifies the air as it burns, but soy wax is good too... We don't want you fumigating yourself or your family with toxic waste!  :o

oh no! Llyr - Paraffin is literally the WORST thing you can be burning. I did a quick google search just for "burning paraffin" and this informative blog laying it out came up:

http://domesticgeekgirl.com/health-home/candles-toxic-closer-look-paraffin-wax/

They're terrible for your health and for the air. I prefer beeswax because it actually purifies the air as it burns, but soy wax is good too... We don't want you fumigating yourself or your family with toxic waste!  :o

Hmmm..... Well it's a little late now!!! lol Thank you IB for the information, I have also done some research and there is some that counter that argument so I am not sure quite what to believe at the moment.

Here is a statement from the National Candle Association website on the question are paraffin wax candles toxic? - No, paraffin wax, like all waxes is non-toxic. In fact, paraffin is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use in food, cosmetics and medical applications. Food-grade paraffin is commonly used for manufacturing candles.

I also checked out the question about soot and the question is it dangerous? The answer states - No. The minuscule amount of soot produced by a candle is the natural by-product of incomplete combustion. Candle soot is composed primarily of elemental carbon particles and is similar to the soot given off by kitchen toasters and cooking oils. These everyday household sources of soot are not considered a health concern, are chemically different from the soot formed by the burning of diesel fuel, coal and gasoline etc.

Having said that, I think further purchases will now be beeswax or soyawax.

For information purposes only, I will post the full process in pictures when I remember just how the hell to do it! :)

So because I was too excited to see if the candle burnt well last night, I couldn't be arsed to engrave and paint the symbols on it and just wanted to see if it worked. The flame was perfect although because the camera isn't great on the iphone the photo doesn't do it justice.

I will be making more, I am going to try with different types of wax. Also, because I used a tin of beans for my mould, I didn't realise that it was ribbed inside and so I did have a little difficulty in getting the candle out. I had to use a scissors to make a cut and then use a pliers to peel it off in sections.

I cut my hand twice doing it so I am definitely going to invest in some proper mould's for the candles.

Llyr, your attachments didn't come off as attachments. Try again?

I used to make & sell candles (still make them for myself when the need arises). A few things I will say to those of you wanting to make your own:

1. Beeswax absorbs color. It takes almost 5x the dye to get the same color as for paraffin or other waxes. Even more if you're using natural dyes.

2. Pure soy wax liquifies. Therefore, it's only good for container candles.

3. The argument against paraffin candles isn't that burning them is toxic (unless you're burning one as big as your car), it's that paraffin is a by-product of refining oil. If you're wanting to go green & don't want to support the oil industry...

4. There are other vegetable waxes out there, mostly from palm oil. This is a softer wax than paraffin or beeswax but is still moldable. One downside to vegetable wax is that it melts faster so your candle isn't going to burn as long. I use a blend of vegetable & beeswax.

Llyr, your attachments didn't come off as attachments. Try again?

I used to make & sell candles (still make them for myself when the need arises). A few things I will say to those of you wanting to make your own:

1. Beeswax absorbs color. It takes almost 5x the dye to get the same color as for paraffin or other waxes. Even more if you're using natural dyes.

2. Pure soy wax liquifies. Therefore, it's only good for container candles.

3. The argument against paraffin candles isn't that burning them is toxic (unless you're burning one as big as your car), it's that paraffin is a by-product of refining oil. If you're wanting to go green & don't want to support the oil industry...

4. There are other vegetable waxes out there, mostly from palm oil. This is a softer wax than paraffin or beeswax but is still moldable. One downside to vegetable wax is that it melts faster so your candle isn't going to burn as long. I use a blend of vegetable & beeswax.

I will try again from home, it may just be my work pc not allowing me to upload the pics.

ok that's good advice thanks, what % of mix would you use with vegetable and beeswax?

ok that's good advice thanks, what % of mix would you use with vegetable and beeswax?

It depends on the waxes. Fresh beeswax (from the apiary) is harder than the commercial stuff. (Whatever they do to the beeswax to form it into pellets or sheets or whatever seems to soften it a bit.) And the palm oil waxes also vary. You have to experiment with what you have on hand. I'd start with a 50/50 mix & see how it comes out.

Thanks for posting that info MW.

A problem with paraffin is that virtually no one would burn just one candle. So the cumulative effect of burning a petroleum product over and over indoors is the health concern. If someone's in a pinch, of course it's not the end of the world to use a paraffin candle, but most candle users utilize them on a regular basis in an enclosed space - not outside in the open air - and the toxins and chemicals inhaled build up in your body - moreso for smaller bodies like children.

Llyr - you could always just use old glass food jars to make your candles, no matter the wax, so you won't need a mold - oh, duh, but if you want to engrave runes on them, never mind :P

ps - the American FDA isn't a great source of proof for what's healthy or not - our whole system is controlled by lobbyists and special interests which promote or block to the American public whatever will help their bottom line... Just look into "Pink Slime" and how it's processed and the fact that the USDA purchased *millions of pounds* of it per year to put in CHILDREN'S SCHOOL LUNCHES!!

Also, I have to note for those who care, palm oil is literally driving orangutans and certain types of elephants and tigers toward extinction by eradicating rainforests at alarming rates: https://www.rainforest-rescue.org/topics/palm-oil If you have the opportunity to watch The Last Orangutan Eden (it used to be on Netflix streaming) it's a beautiful documentary about a truly remarkable and soulful species...

So, burning beeswax or soy wax (or a combination of the two for a less expensive alternative) is better for your health as well as the earth's.

And it's worth noting that although beeswax is more expensive, it burns longer! So to me, it's worth it... (and the smell is heavenly :) )

Here's some info from Big Dipper Wax Works:

"Beeswax, the purest of all candle waxes, is a product of the sustainable industry of beekeeping. The simple filtration of beeswax is a natural process that uses no chemicals and very little energy.

Beeswax is naturally aromatic, infused with the sweet, subtle scent of honey. Nontoxic and nonallergenic, beeswax candles burn clean and soot free. While burning, they release negative ions, just as seashores or rainstorms do. These negative ions improve air quality by eliminating pollutants and allergens from the air that we breathe.

The high melting and burning temperature of beeswax translates into exceptionally long burn times. While burning, their golden flames glow with the same energy and spectrum of light as the sun."