#21 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:18 AM

I'

Yes it is a form of meditation because you are not aware of the conscious world around you, time and distractions don't exist. The only difference is with daydreaming, you are not 100% controlling your mind, it is sort of like you are letting the stories in your mind happen. For most people the main thing lacking there is your focus, some people focus on breathing first to put to get them to a relaxed state, some people focus on an image, some on nothing but empty space and some people focus on their mid point being a ball of energy. You can though focus on and control a detailed story, focussing on making the colours bright and vivid in your mind, feeling the wind, smelling the scents of your story. That is where your focus comes from and you are controlling the story rather than allowing it to happen.

However as Odalibuc rightly said, people with conditions such as ADHD will find it difficult to concentrate on a sustained focus for a period of time, but there are herbal remedies that you can take to help calm your mind such as lime blossom or valerian. I would recommend meditation to anyone, even 10-15 minutes a day can help you feel more balanced in your life.

I've always controlled my daydreams, I don't let them run off like what happens when I am dreaming when I'm asleep. When I'm sleep dreaming, I don't really have very much control over where the dream goes, I'm not very good a lucid dreaming... Yet. But my daydreams are controlled enough to the point that I can feel what I want to feel, smell what I want to smell, my body reacts to what is happening in the daydream, etc. Now ask me to visualize a red square in a black room, and hold it there... Ack. Lol.

#22 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:08 AM

I've always controlled my daydreams, I don't let them run off like what happens when I am dreaming when I'm asleep. When I'm sleep dreaming, I don't really have very much control over where the dream goes, I'm not very good a lucid dreaming... Yet. But my daydreams are controlled enough to the point that I can feel what I want to feel, smell what I want to smell, my body reacts to what is happening in the daydream, etc. Now ask me to visualize a red square in a black room, and hold it there... Ack. Lol.

Yes there is no right or wrong way, there are many ways to reach the same destination although consistent practice is the key to all of them.

#23 Autumn Moon

Autumn Moon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:46 AM

I've done meditation for a loooong time, very beneficial to one pointed focus needed in spell casting. Lucid dreaming I  hate....feels like I didn't sleep the whole night.

#24 NorthernPilgrim

NorthernPilgrim

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 01:06 AM

Meditation has long been a habit of mine. I know and practice a dozen of techniques, both traditional and innovative. The one I use the most is focusing on my own breath and letting the thoughts pass. Another favorite method of mine is labeling every sensation and thoughts, including itch and hunger. However, sometimes I just suddenly take a backseat and let the thoughts burn themselves.

#25 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 05:44 PM

Meditation is one of those words that covers a huge field of practices, including contemplation. I like contemplation - holding one level of thought - for divine guidance and for mental focus in spell work. I don't clear my monkey-mind. I over ride it with a lion tamer's whip and chair. My sister says I go all steely-eyed. My breathing slows. I can be sitting in plain sight but people don't notice me until I return to normal breathing. I startled the heck out of a gal once. She said I just appeared on the river rock I had been sitting on. I'd say I was just so still and passive that she had not noticed my presence as she approached on the riverside path.

#26 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:36 PM

It's great for working on visualization skills which I think is a great skill to develop. Takes it from a feeling to actually seeing and being.

#27 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 04:40 PM

It's great for working on visualization skills which I think is a great skill to develop. Takes it from a feeling to actually seeing and being.

Exactly and you can use that for spell casting, working on increasing the size of your aura. etc...

#28 Eis

Eis

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:52 PM

I used to absolutely loathe meditating.  We still have a slightly awkward relationship.

I have a monkey mind on meth and it's very difficult at times to clear my thoughts.  I used to go out of my way to avoid it by building specific triggers when preparing to do spell work or rituals, so the effect was like tossing a shiny object in front of a magpie - ta dah!  Instantly focused.  Anything to avoid having to meditate beforehand to get rid of the mundane-mind.  

Contemplation is a whole other bag of apples and I've always had an easy time of it, I can think a lot of thoughts about one thing!  It's opened up some doors to places I wouldn't have found otherwise, and it makes it so much easier to hear my spirits and guides.  Hard for them to give imagery and messages when the mind is cluttered.  What they say can easily get lost in the detritus.

For a few months I've been attempting to be good and meditate for just a little bit each day.  I still skip some days, but when I do meditate I feel a lot more steady.  I don't try to shut up all my inner thoughts, though.  I just focus on taking four-fold breaths and being in the moment. 

#29 Duchess

Duchess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:45 PM

I've been trying to practice and get better at the calm, centering kind of mediation both for spell work and insomnia. However, I've been able to enter vivid daydreams since I can remember, but it usually works best with movement. When I was a kid, I found swings worked best, now I usually go for very long walks. I wish I was better at the centering type of meditation, my brain needs that. Monkey-brain is the right way to put it: it's much happier when it has some excitement to focus on.

#30 Caps

Caps

Phytokinesist

• Moderators
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:56 PM

I have often heard it said that if prayer is speaking to the spirit world then meditation is listening.  I do quite a bit of meditation, most of it first in the morning.  I consider it to be like "tuning" my receiver properly. 

"It is the still and silent sea that drowns a man." - Old Norse proverb

"It is better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war."

#31 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

Meditation is an important part of my craft. When I first started meditating it was focused on controlling anxiety and finding inner peace. Since that's been achieved it's mainly a way to receive messages from spirits. I don't do it on a daily basis anymore either because it's no longer necessary. Normally I meditate sitting down but also while walking the treadmill, cutting the grass, sometimes when I prepare food.

#32 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:20 AM

Aina have you found it helpful with the anxiety? I need to make it a priority again.

#33 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:23 PM

Aina have you found it helpful with the anxiety? I need to make it a priority again.

Extremely. It's been over a year since I've had my last anxiety attack.

#34 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:06 PM

That's good to hear Aina.

I think a lot of people who don't meditate don't realise it's benefits and I think a lot of people don't meditate because they think there is only one way to do it, but it shows on this thread, there are no end of ways which anyone can do it and feel the benefits.

#35 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 01:29 PM

That is so amazing Aina! Inspirational for sure.

#36 chriswhite50

chriswhite50

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:45 PM

Made some progress yesterday with something. Started reading different books(found a good website in one of these threads) and noticed a lot of talk about creating an astral double. This goes into astral projection but you have to meditate to get there. So i start meditating and do like it says. Make a double that stands right beside you. It doesnt need to move or travel. Just make one. I actually felt a presence. Wasnt very strong but i could feel something standing beside me. Wasnt in my head either. Gonna keep working on it because it seems i accomplish more when my mind has something to occupy it with.

#37 Evergreen47

Evergreen47

Ms. Spock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:44 PM

I have often heard it said that if prayer is speaking to the spirit world then meditation is listening.  I do quite a bit of meditation, most of it first in the morning.  I consider it to be like "tuning" my receiver properly. 

I love this thought, Caps. That's definitely a major aspect of my meditation process. I spend at least twenty-or-so minutes meditating before reading my cards or doing divination. I meditate every night before bed for clarity, and then meditate again in the morning during whatever I'm doing to get ready or at the gym. But it's exactly what you describe; it's just me listening. It's me checking in with myself and my will and even checking in with my ancestors and spirit guides. It's integral to me feeling like I'm me. It's also my access to my inner "place of power" as someone else said.

That said, my meditation practice changes with the year. I've said this before on a thread, but I find that during the dark part of the year, I'm more focused on inner workings and myself. This is the time of the year I feel more contemplative and meditative. In the bright part of the year, I'm apt to meditate less and simply do and work more. It's just a cycle that keeps me sane and grounded. :flyaway:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

-=Frank Herbert=-

Rock on, gold dust woman. Take your silver spoon and dig your grave.

#38 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

I'

I think this is one of the keys to effective witchcraft. In the sense that many people do not realize that when they find themselves with their nose in a tree or in a wall because they were daydreaming, they were doing something that is not very different from the witch's lucid dream, I believe. This is something that as children we do all the times, going with the spirit somewhere else, that we forget entirely where we are and what we were doing. It happens in school when the lesson is boring. 

I don't think that is the same as visualization though. I can easily visualize the red square in the black room, but that not quite the same thing. 
The thing that daydreaming and lucid dreaming have in common (and that is different from visualization) is that the visions have a certain quality to them that makes the replace mundane reality - that's why daydreaming while crossing the road is not a good idea. The problem with daydreaming is exactly that when you start taking control of it, it becomes easily visualization. I've read in a few text the 'am I dreaming?' exercise, which basically consists in randomly asking 'am I dreaming?' to yourself, out loud, till it becomes such a habit that you ask it during a dream. It works the dame for intense daydreaming, imho. 

As for meditation, I think that regardless of the flavours it comes in, it is a useful and foundational practice. I did it way more when I was younger, now I do it more sporadically but regularly. It's one of those things the more you practice, the more it comes natural. 

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)