• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 chriswhite50

chriswhite50

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:34 AM

Just putting out a general thread. Havent seen anything related. Does anyone do it? Has it changed your practice? Is it specifically magical for you or do you use it to affect personal and professional? I am starting as part of my getting back to basics phase. My mind stays cluttered and i dont focus very well. How about yall?

#2 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:35 AM

In my opinion meditation and visualisation is vital as my part of the craft. Without regular consistent meditation and visualisation I would never have found my guides and my spell work would be less effective.

#3 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:59 PM

Meditation opens the doors to visualization & trance, which are the foundation of my practice. 10-20 minutes a day has been easy to maintain. I use it for personal guidance, stability, self control, and as the gateway to magic. Centering has been the crux of focusing for me.

#4 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 02:15 PM

I really believe meditation is beneficial for almost everyone. In relation to the craft it helps to clear my mind of the endless chatter that gets pushed into my head so that I can focus fully on what I M intending on doing.

#5 LavenderGumdrop

LavenderGumdrop

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:06 PM

I agree with every single one of the replies here. 

I try to meditate every single day and have found that my craft is far more successful since I have started. 

I'll often even find that spirits talk to me(literally whisper in my ear) if I have been in a trance state for long enough. Meditation is amazing.

#6 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:46 AM

I don't tend to meditate daily, but without meditating I couldn't trance, and without trance I don't think I could do a whole lot with my practice. I do try to get some substantial meditation in at least twice a week; if I can get more time to myself, then three or four times a week, varying from 15 minutes to half an hour. Longer than that and I'm doing trance. I've been doing it intermittently since I was a teenager, although for different reasons now than then, and when I was younger it wasn't uncommon for me to dedicate an hour every night for stretches of time. 

Edited by Madame, 25 September 2016 - 12:47 AM.

#7 Lauvitra

Lauvitra

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:26 AM

Am I the only one in this thread who doesn't meditate? I hope not, perhaps someone else will pop up as well; if not, I'll just have to be the odd one out. :P

I did give a try for meditation, a few years ago, just out of curiosity to see what all the fuss is about (I have a friend who does meditate every day, and he speaks very fondly of his experiences with it). Well, found out it had no effect, no benefit whatsoever for me, so I shrugged and haven't done it since.

"We pledge ourselves to you, the Frame-Maker, the Scarab:

a world for us to love you in, a cloak of dirt to cherish."

#8 chriswhite50

chriswhite50

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:32 AM

Im about the same way Lauvitra but then i get a feeling that its something that takes work and practice to really see a benefit. Cant be judged off of one sitting. Ive been trying atleast once a day this past week and have had a few moments where everything felt like it just stopped. No thoughts or emotions. Just total clarity in the moment. It was nice.

#9 Lauvitra

Lauvitra

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:06 PM

Im about the same way Lauvitra but then i get a feeling that its something that takes work and practice to really see a benefit. Cant be judged off of one sitting.

___

Perhaps that's true. When I tried, I did do it every other day for a few months, trying to follow my friend's instructions, but eventually came to conclusion that the only way it affects me is by taking away time I would otherwise use for something else. It felt pointless, to tell the truth. Perhaps if I'd actually felt a need for the benefits people say it could have, it would have been a different experience. Or perhaps if I'd continued until it would become a part of what I always do, then it wouldn't have been pointless anymore. But as things were, it seemed rather distracting, and that's something I don't find many things to be.

Ive been trying atleast once a day this past week and have had a few moments where everything felt like it just stopped. No thoughts or emotions. Just total clarity in the moment. It was nice.

___

That does sound nice. I've had moment's like that as well - in different situations, often on purpose, sometimes not, but never did with meditation.

"We pledge ourselves to you, the Frame-Maker, the Scarab:

a world for us to love you in, a cloak of dirt to cherish."

#10 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:22 AM

I try to do it on a daily basis, but I usually don't have time to do it until bed time. And by that point I'm tired and laying down... Usually my mind chatters on and on, so it's been great for helping me to fall asleep. But I really need to do it when I'm awake, it's just a matter of finding the time to do it when my little ones will be quiet and leave me alone. Then I might be able to accomplish more with it than just falling asleep, lol.

#11 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 04:25 PM

Why don't you meditate while you are walking? cleaning? I have meditated while running on a treadmill.

Meditation doesn't necessarily mean clearing your mind of absolutely everything, although that is a form of meditation. The idea is to be able to control your mind without thoughts distracting you and actually putting yourself inside your mind interacting with what you have put in place there as if it is "real". The more realistic it seems the better you are at it. There are many ways to meditate, building stories in your mind, living them in your minds eye that's a fun way to meditate.

#12 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:34 PM

Why don't you meditate while you are walking? cleaning? I have meditated while running on a treadmill.

Meditation doesn't necessarily mean clearing your mind of absolutely everything, although that is a form of meditation. The idea is to be able to control your mind without thoughts distracting you and actually putting yourself inside your mind interacting with what you have put in place there as if it is "real". The more realistic it seems the better you are at it. There are many ways to meditate, building stories in your mind, living them in your minds eye that's a fun way to meditate.

You mean like daydreaming? I do that all the time.

#13 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:43 PM

Thats a good way to describe active meditation. Intense focused daydreaming. 

Edited by Kalinia, 26 September 2016 - 06:43 PM.

#14 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:53 PM

Thats a good way to describe active meditation. Intense focused daydreaming. 

Really? I've been doing that since I was ...young enough to have a memory, lol. I remember being in school and daydreaming and when I would snap out of it, other students would be staring at me or laughing at me because I'd be so out of it. If this is an active meditation state, what is it good for? I always thought I was just daydreaming! lol

#15 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:18 PM

Really? I've been doing that since I was ...young enough to have a memory, lol. I remember being in school and daydreaming and when I would snap out of it, other students would be staring at me or laughing at me because I'd be so out of it. If this is an active meditation state, what is it good for? I always thought I was just daydreaming! lol

That type of meditation helps me stay focused and I use it in spell work. I also use it at work when nothing is going on (which is frequently as I work overnights) when I am feeling beaten down to keep on track with my goals.

#16 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:00 AM

I have a lot of difficulty with what most people call meditating (clearing the mind), simply because ADHD brains don't lend themselves well to that kind of thing. I use Tai Chi to practice that type of meditation as best as I can, but I can never do it for more than a few minutes at a time. My head just doesn't stay clear. Everything I've read says to just let the thoughts pass until they stop coming, but mine never do. I once spent an hour waiting for my brain to quiet down. It did not work. So if I need to get into a state more open to the non-physical world for a working or to communicate with a spiritual entity, I've had to learn to do so when I'm more conscious than most people are when they meditate very deeply. I do a more active meditation when I'm working on myself, where I imagine everything that I am as a forest in my mind, with every aspect of who I am somewhere in that forest. I also created a little space as a little pocket off that forest so that I can meet the person I'm tutoring in magic and communicate with them more personally, since they live a few hours away from me. Other than that I just daydream and plan out little short stories that I never end up writing because hey, its something to do.

#17 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:33 AM

The meditation technique that I actively use, I think it is called the four-fold breath technique. Basically, you empty your lungs of air, hold it for a count of 4, breathe in for a count of 4, hold it for a count of 4, then breathe out for a count of 4, and repeat. I find that I focus on the count and my breath so much that other thoughts don't enter into my mind. Like I said in an earlier post, though... I tend to do this at night in bed, and it makes me fall asleep. I'm not sure what happens at the point in between letting go of the count and falling asleep, though. There must be some sort of trance or something, I'm not sure. But if I didn't do this, I would lay there for hours, thinking about stuff, and this really helps me to relax and fall asleep a lot sooner. If I were in a sitting position and more alert, I might end up at the empty mind stage eventually.

#18 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:42 AM

Yes it is a form of meditation because you are not aware of the conscious world around you, time and distractions don't exist. The only difference is with daydreaming, you are not 100% controlling your mind, it is sort of like you are letting the stories in your mind happen. For most people the main thing lacking there is your focus, some people focus on breathing first to put to get them to a relaxed state, some people focus on an image, some on nothing but empty space and some people focus on their mid point being a ball of energy. You can though focus on and control a detailed story, focussing on making the colours bright and vivid in your mind, feeling the wind, smelling the scents of your story. That is where your focus comes from and you are controlling the story rather than allowing it to happen.

However as Odalibuc rightly said, people with conditions such as ADHD will find it difficult to concentrate on a sustained focus for a period of time, but there are herbal remedies that you can take to help calm your mind such as lime blossom or valerian. I would recommend meditation to anyone, even 10-15 minutes a day can help you feel more balanced in your life.

#19 chriswhite50

chriswhite50

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 03:04 PM

Going to have to try some of these. I love the forest idea which brings me back to my mental altar idea. Just a giant room in the middle of empty space where i have cauldron, herbal workshops, tools, etc. Gets me thinking again of trying to get to the point where i have no thoughts and jump into it. Try working a spell.

#20 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:49 PM

In one of Rae Beth's books she recommends using the imagination to construct your Place-of-Power. You use the same scene, add and delete as needed, and imaginatively enter your Place to further meditations, cast circles-if-used, and seek guidance and make spirit contacts. It's been a handy resource.