9 replies to this topic

#1 Cameo

Cameo

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 02:37 AM

On a whim, I decided to try cauldron scrying after some spell work. For the most part, it was rather uneventful, although my cauldron seemed to be multiplying from double vision. LOL.

With my cauldron filled with water, a darkened room aside from the light of two candles, and mugwort burning on a charcoal disk, I set to work.  I angled my head so my own reflection wouldn't interfere. I didn't really see much, as I expected. I wasn't asking any questions or looking for anything specific. However, for a short moment, I thought I saw what looked like the Micheal Jordan logo, which has no relevance to me.  I am skeptical, but at the same time, it always seems to be the thing that makes the least sense that turns out to be the most accurate. At lease in some of the other forms of divination that I have tried, tarot not being included in that as it is more straight forward.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Cameo, 22 August 2016 - 03:55 AM.

#2 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:56 PM

I had to look up what a MJ logo is, and found the image of a basket ball player leaping and stretching the ball to the target. So, to me it suggests "reach for it". Put that kind of energy to work.

#3 Cameo

Cameo

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:43 AM

Interesting take. It just struck me as odd, because I don't have any interest in sports, and basketball even less. Maybe I was too caught up in the sports aspect of it?

#4 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 02:55 PM

Try putting something with smoky next to it so you can see the reflection, or maybe having a glass of wine before to loosen up the ol' reins.

RSKHFMY

#5 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:45 AM

I have absolutely no idea what sort of useful feedback you are looking for.  I'm not sure that any is possible.

You stared into a cauldron filled with water, focused on nothing, intent on nothing in particular.  It's most likely that your eyes played tricks on you, being in a somewhat meditative or focused state.

It is entirely a waste of time to bother the members of the board with this.  Perhaps this is better suited to a blog, or a facebook status, or something along those lines?

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#6 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:56 PM

I don't think it is a waste of time. Maybe if the OP was written just slightly different there could have been more to discuss. But when any of us have attempted a new form of divination we sometimes go into it wide open just looking to see what can be seen. As we mature we understand that when approaching any form of oracle we should be cognizant of why we are coming to it. Offer appropriate acknowledgment (whether a physical offering, a prayer, a chant, etc), and come with a clear intention of what we are seeking. 

So I would say try again with the cauldron scrying, but do it with intention and approach your cauldron as the holy vessel it is. 

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#7 Cameo

Cameo

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:41 AM

I certainly apologise if anyone felt I was wasting their time. As I am quite new to the board, I was very hesitant in my approach as I know this isn't a teaching board. That is why I tried to be specific in the technique I used. Your feedback was is very valuable on multiple levels. Not just on the fact that I need to change my approach to scrying but how to be a better contributor to this community. For that I thank you. Perhaps I could have been more specific when choosing my words and asked for a critique of my methods instead. I could have also asked about tips that others find useful.

RavenFlyer, I am very grateful for your response. As I said i decided to do it on a whim when the inspiration struck and didn't put any thought into it all.

So I guess from here, I would like to pose a few questions to try and get some discussion going.  I had mentioned that I used mugwort as incense, does anyone else find that useful or have opinions on that? I also used candle light, What have other people's experience when it comes to lighting been? Do you find regular indoor lighting to be helpful, hindrance or unimportant? Am I correct in assuming that as I work on developing my scrying abilities I should keep my intentions simple, straightforward and fairly basic? I am going under the assumption that complexity can be problematic when trying to make the intention clear.

#8 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

I like to put a candle behind something crystal or glass when I am using it to scry/meditate. You can position it so some of the light is reflected on the water. I think a darker ambient light or none is the way to go to help your eyes and mind relax better ( unless a person is afraid or uneasy in the dark)

#9 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:38 PM

I've done water scrying outdoors with moonlight reflecting on the surface. It produces a moon-communion but I found the damp and gnats distracting. Indoors, candle lite reflecting helps. Light reflecting off water pulls me in, even rinsing dishes under the faucet may catch me. My mental focus will be single subject, but vaguely worded mentally, like "Show me X " and let it unfold. Images appear to one side of the candle reflection, so I arrange that the light is to the right side and leave the left side for viewing. Other lighting is subdued and background. It softens the glare of the reflection.

I seldom use incense when scrying because I sneeze. You can imagine that's not helpful. I keep clear quartz alongside the bowl, or sometimes in it. I'll have a cup of chamomile tea to relax. And that's about it.

Edited by Zombee, 26 August 2016 - 12:46 AM.

#10 FooeynJomy

FooeynJomy

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 09:51 PM

I have scryed using water in a bowl bowl and had good results. I do this in a dark room with a bit of light, not necessarily candles but sometimes just the light in the next room left on. I use a drop of my own blood in the water to focus on.

Edited by FooeynJomy, 25 August 2016 - 09:51 PM.

#11 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 02:03 AM

Rereading my response, I see that it was worded harshly.  I apologize for that.

While scrying, it is best to have a focus or intent.  A 'visionary' blend is definitely useful, and can be placed so that you breathe in the smoke.  You need to be careful as to what it contains, however.  I usually used candles placed behind me, for soft lighting and less distraction(though this varies on the medium used).

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy