• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NightshadeMoon

NightshadeMoon

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:09 AM

I know that one doe not necessarily need anything special in order to cast a circle in fact I know that you can cast one with your finger alone. However, I'd like something more tangible that I can take with me to mark off the directions and elements. It would help me out a lot if I could place something in the four directions so that I don't get turned around during ritual. I actually found myself doing this more and more. At first I looked into what stones symbolized which elements, and found that there isn't any one solid way of doing this. Different research sites gave different results on which stones I could use. Now I am to the point of thinking I could use regular old garden stones and write the symbols for the elements on them, or flash cards (I'd like something waterproof though.) I'd like to be able to carry them around in my purse so I can cast a circle when I am in a power filled spot.

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on this? Let me also ask what symbols people use to represent the elements? I know we all find something we like and stick with.

#2 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:05 AM

You will find most of us here do not cast a circle. But I do have a 9 foot witches cord that for certain rites I will wear around my waist for the day, and then when I am performing the rite I will use it to lay out the circle. So I am then standing inside a 9 foot circle marked off by my witches cord. 

I would suggest if you want stones that you pick stones that speak to you and then paint on them with glow in the dark paint so that you can see the symbols at night as you lay them out. you could paint specific colors first and then cover it with glow in the dark paint. 

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#3 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:05 PM

Tie a ribbon around a tree, or use different colored piles of yarn in the ground. it's portable and lighter weight to carry than rocks. or push a stick in the ground with a ribbon on it. Use glow sticks, those glow in the dark sticks that glow when bent. Some others work when shaken. You get the idea. You really only need to light North as the portal. There are glow in the dark stick on stars to decorate ceilings. Check arts and crafts stores. Use flameless candles, they come in all colors and sizes and are battery op.

Edited by Zombee, 19 August 2016 - 04:06 PM.

#4 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 03:24 AM

I don't cast circles but from what you are asking I think largish smooth stones with painted vivid symbols would work, or better yet painting the entire stone a bright color. Use which colors you associate with the directions.

#5 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 04:02 PM

I have used colors related to the direction and triangles. The up-pointing triangle looks like a flame, for fire. And with a line thru looks like an A for air. The down-pointing triangle looks like a cup, and is water. With a line thru it, it's stuck into the earth, and is earth. Superimposed on each other it's the 6rayed star. Easy to remember that way.

I started out in Wicca, like many folk here. Coincidentally, I learned later that the day I bought my first Wiccan book, Cunningham's "Solitary Wicca" was the day he died. And i"ll never forget my dedication in a thunder storm. :-) Now-a-days I seldom cast, using circle mostly for creating liminal space for OOB travel. And my cheap, quick method is to twirl a faceted lead crystal pendulum around my head like a lasso to clear the space, and projecting a sphere from my belly, with an up-down line (like a tree) thru my spine and N-S line, E-W line. Definitely not Wiccan or Traditional, which would pace the rim and connect with the Earth, tho i do earth-link when grounding, of course. So all im saying is that, as you learn to cast circle, experiment and observe how you feel, and have fun. No sourpuss. The Earth is full of laughter...downright giddy at times. Cherish what She teaches. Blahblah

#6 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 19 August 2016 - 05:40 PM

I'm not bothered with circles, but...

Blackboard fabric.  It's machine washable and fairly cheap.  Carry some chalk with it.  You can draw and denote whatever is needed, go home, throw it in the wash, rinse, repeat.....

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#7 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:25 AM

The few times I need one, I actually mark it out with my tarot cards, using the major arcana as focal points. I use different cards for different points depending on what I'm asking of what comes from each direction and each element. I let the minor arcana fill in the rest, figuring out where they go by using the way the cards feel. They get more energy-heavy when they're in the right spot.