12 replies to this topic

#1 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:58 AM

What if I don't know who my ancestors are? My great grandparents died when I was very young, my grandmother died when I was 12 and I lived a long ways from her. My step-grandfather was not my real grandfather, and I never knew my real grandfather. And then I never knew my father or my father's family. So how do I go about contacting ancestor spirits? I'm not adopted, but it almost feels like I am, and I have no clue where my roots go. I'm also an only-child, that probably doesn't matter at all, though.

I would love to work with an ancestor spirit, but I have no idea how to contact one. I wouldn't know what to put out as an offering to one. Especially not knowing who my ancestors are. What do you do in a case like this?

#2 NorthernPilgrim

NorthernPilgrim

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:24 AM

You can ask your parents. If for any reason that doesn't work then you may want to work with "other kinds of ancestors", like non-blood ancestors (e.g. witches before you) or, quoted from Peter Paddon, ancestors to be (your very own future descendants). However, I'm not familiar with both of them so I cannot help you much.

#3 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 05:55 AM

You can ask your parents. If for any reason that doesn't work then you may want to work with "other kinds of ancestors", like non-blood ancestors (e.g. witches before you) or, quoted from Peter Paddon, ancestors to be (your very own future descendants). However, I'm not familiar with both of them so I cannot help you much.

I think I might have to go with the other kinds of ancestors... I can't ask my father because he's never been in my life. I don't know his family at all, they've never been in my life. My mother doesn't know who her father is, she was the result of an affair that my grandmother had. And as I said, my grandmother died when I was 12, and her parents died when I was very young.

So how would one reach out to the other kinds of ancestors?

#4 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 02:53 PM

Set up an ancestor altar, make an offering and an appeal to your ancestors who would be willing to work with you. They know who they are. Write the family surnames and names of relatives who have passed, on a piece of paper and place it on the altar, plus symbols of the 4 elements. Use water or fresh brewed coffee/tea as offerings and lite a candle. In time, you will learn about them. Check out you.tube for suggestions and examples, there is a lot of info on it.

You can have adopted ancestors too. And my spirit guide was my husband in a former life we shared. So there are many possibilities that are not limited to blood line.

Edited by Zombee, 09 August 2016 - 03:41 PM.

#5 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:41 PM

You don't know most of your ancestors personally, as they extend far beyond three generations. Work with them the same, but be wary of ancestors you don't want around.

RSKHFMY

#6 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:48 PM

With my way of doing things I would say first I'd look to myself.

First what do I mean by ancestor spirits. Broadly this would be those that came before you, or the spirits that made you who you are. This could mean the spirits that shaped the land you think of as home. It could be the family that passed their blood down to you. Or the people and lands they came from. Further still this could be folk you don't share blood with, but influenced you or your family to where they are now. Two examples of this for me would be, a step-father of mine that lived just long enough to share his blood with the family and give us a strong and prized child. Another was a great man that helped me become who am. He became part of my ancestry purely through his actions and teaching his wisdom.

So, for me it would greatly help to determine direction by knowing just who it is I'm trying to connect with.

I would also ask myself why I wished to connect with them. Maybe its something I feel I should do. It could be I think it is the next logical step in progress for myself. Or I hear others sharing their experiences and I wish to find that for myself. On the other hand I could be trying to find stability and connection to the world and myself. No mater what the answer is it often helps me to gather will and intent if I'm clear with myself on what I'm going to do and why.

More practically I would say I would look to my strengths to see how they can relate to what I want to accomplish. If spells are a strong suit then I would go there. If not maybe energy work, or meditation. I also use study in connecting with my ancestors. Genealogy, the histories of our people, and learning about the places they lived and things going on around them, for me this can give common ground to connect on when its time to work. I also have one family member that connects very strongly through celebration during holidays for our ancestors. Again these connections can be half the work.

Now, these things go to the way I work, and we all do things a bit differently. So, I would say put some real time and effort into deciding what feels right to you and how you go about this sort of thing.

#7 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:51 PM

Thank you all for the advice. I'll so some soul-searching, and searching online, too.

#8 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:11 PM

Sometimes, even when you do have direct ancestors, they aren't into working with you...that's been my experience so far, heh. I have a great grandfather that has made it clear that he has stepped in to protect me from a malicious attack from someone, which I took to thinking I could set out libations for him and start a working relationship. I got an extremely cold response the two times I tried. So, that was that. The one time i felt him communicating with me it was because he didn't approve of my lifestyle. That has since changed but I think I'll let him come to me if he wants to hang out. I have another ancestor I'd like to work with, but radio silence on her end so far, and thanks to my grandmother I know her calling card.

#9 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:14 PM

Quick question: My Grandmother-in-law, who my husband never met because she died before he was born, was apparently a bruja. My mother-in-law, who actually lived with her in the same house, said that she would take in women, help them, feed them, cure them, whatever, and send them on their way. She also said that she was a pretty scary lady, and that she held a loaded gun on her when she was pregnant with her first child, and made lies and accusations against her, and tried to get her and her husband to break up. I've seen her picture, and she does look pretty intimidating for being a small Mexican woman (I am caucasian, my husband is Mexican). She has told me stories of her mother in law sending other witches in the form of crows to attack her, and things like that.

Now I assume I probably wouldn't want to be contacting this particular ancestor, right? Or what do you think?

#10 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:16 PM

Sometimes, even when you do have direct ancestors, they aren't into working with you...that's been my experience so far, heh. I have a great grandfather that has made it clear that he has stepped in to protect me from a malicious attack from someone, which I took to thinking I could set out libations for him and start a working relationship. I got an extremely cold response the two times I tried. So, that was that. The one time i felt him communicating with me it was because he didn't approve of my lifestyle. That has since changed but I think I'll let him come to me if he wants to hang out. I have another ancestor I'd like to work with, but radio silence on her end so far, and thanks to my grandmother I know her calling card.

Thank you for that. I think if I could go back and find like an old celtic witch grandmother or aunt in my waaaaay back family, that would be ideal. Haha. Big wishes.  I probably shouldn't laugh, I could actually have one, maybe.

#11 Madame

Madame

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:28 PM

Quick question: My Grandmother-in-law, who my husband never met because she died before he was born, was apparently a bruja. My mother-in-law, who actually lived with her in the same house, said that she would take in women, help them, feed them, cure them, whatever, and send them on their way. She also said that she was a pretty scary lady, and that she held a loaded gun on her when she was pregnant with her first child, and made lies and accusations against her, and tried to get her and her husband to break up. I've seen her picture, and she does look pretty intimidating for being a small Mexican woman (I am caucasian, my husband is Mexican). She has told me stories of her mother in law sending other witches in the form of crows to attack her, and things like that.

Now I assume I probably wouldn't want to be contacting this particular ancestor, right? Or what do you think?

If you husband is witchy at all, or not nervous about it, I would ask him how he feels about it. Or you could leave out a libation and see if/how she responds to it as a gift.

#12 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:54 PM

I for one don't do a whole lot of dividing between spirits and everyone else. So, my question would be. If this was a living aunt with this reputation would you feel comfortable inviting them into your home, or around your family? Everyone has different comfort levels of behavior no mater who its coming from. Set bounders for spirits in your home as you do everyone else, and don't invite those that you don't trust to stay within them.

I would also point up at the last bit of Ravenshaw's post.

#13 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:50 PM

Good point. If she was scary in real life, she's probably even scarier as a spirit. And I would probably stay away from her if she was still alive. I will look elsewhere down the ancestral line.