10 replies to this topic

#1 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:50 PM

Which books would you recommend? I've already ordered Practical Psychic Self-Defense by Robert Bruce so I can learn to defend myself when I take up meditating, trancing, astral travel, lucid dreams, etc. I'm curious about summoning a familiar (I love my cat, but he's not a familiar), are there any books for that? Also for spell crafting. I have only done one spell, and I don't think it succeeded. So I could use some help with that, are there any good books that you would recommend to help a person craft their own spells? I feel like, as I read more and more posts from more experienced witches, that I am so inexperienced and have just a minor understanding of the basics. I need some books with knowledge that I can sink my teeth into.

And if you have an other advice, I'd be grateful to hear it! Thank you in advance.

#2 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:40 AM

You might find this thread & Ancestral Celt's list helpful: http://www.tradition...-books/?p=23265

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#3 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:45 AM

Thanks! I'll check that out now.

#4 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:07 AM

I ordered the art of visualization by Ophiel. I saw that he has another book, the art and practice of the occult? There are absolutely no reviews for it, and no description. Does anyone know anything about it?

#5 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

Which books would you recommend? I've already ordered Practical Psychic Self-Defense by Robert Bruce so I can learn to defend myself when I take up meditating, trancing, astral travel, lucid dreams, etc. I'm curious about summoning a familiar (I love my cat, but he's not a familiar), are there any books for that? Also for spell crafting. I have only done one spell, and I don't think it succeeded. So I could use some help with that, are there any good books that you would recommend to help a person craft their own spells? I feel like, as I read more and more posts from more experienced witches, that I am so inexperienced and have just a minor understanding of the basics. I need some books with knowledge that I can sink my teeth into.

And if you have an other advice, I'd be grateful to hear it! Thank you in advance.

Good luck getting anything of real use out of that book. Your mileage may vary of course, some people did like it for whatever reason. Please when you've read it, let us know what you think in our book and music reviews section.

I will say that even if you do find it useful, it is really suggested for use if you are already under direct attack from what the author terms 'negs.' ( Supposedly meaning negative entities, even possibly living humans who are sending negative thoughts or what not your way. )

There is really nothing that would help you with protection during trance work or meditation, and if you are wanting to work with spirits of any kind at all ( I gather from some of your posts that you would like to ) following the advice in that book will if anything be counterproductive. 

Edited by Solanaceae, 31 July 2016 - 09:10 PM.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#6 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 01:47 PM

I find it's more a state of mind than anything.... so for me I'd read things that have different view points of reality. And for me, two of the biggest are nature and ancestors. Lord of the Rings I find is excellent for understanding different avenues of reality, circumstance, fate, and other beings. Also the Muirwood Trilogy. Yes, these are fantasy books and not how-to books, but I do find they open doors to one's mind and possibilities.

M

#7 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:43 PM

Good luck getting anything of real use out of that book. Your mileage may very of course, some people did like it for whatever reason. Please when you've read it, let us know what you think in our book and music reviews section.

I will say that even if you do find it useful, it is really suggested for use if you are already under direct attack from what the author terms 'negs.' ( Supposedly meaning negative entities, even possibly living humans who are sending negative thoughts or what not your way. )

There is really nothing that would help you with protection during trance work or meditation, and if you are wanting to work with spirits of any kind at all ( I gather from some of your posts that you would like to ) following the advice in that book will if anything be counterproductive. 

Hmm. This is probably for another thread, but could you point me in the right direction for finding information on how to ward and protect myself for those types of experiences? ie, running into a negative spirit while trancing or meditating, etc. You are right, if I have so many protections up that it makes it impossible to contact spirits to work with, it is counterproductive to what I want to do. I'll still read the book as I hear it has some good information, but I don't want it to hinder me, either.

Also, quick question: Are familiars also called servitors, or is that a different class of spirit altogether? I got this book, it looked interesting. https://www.amazon.c...ywords=servitor

Edit: I just realized I misread your post and you said there's really nothing useful that would help me protection during trance work or meditation... If that's the case, does that mean that I am just leaving myself open to any sort of attack? What do I do in that case if I am attacked?

Edited by NamedForTheMoon, 31 July 2016 - 04:45 PM.

#8 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:09 PM

Edit: I just realized I misread your post and you said there's really nothing useful that would help me protection during trance work or meditation... If that's the case, does that mean that I am just leaving myself open to any sort of attack? What do I do in that case if I am attacked?

I just meant the book does not have anything that will protect you during meditation or trance work. There are definitely things you can do to protect and defend yourself in that state.  

Edited by Solanaceae, 31 July 2016 - 09:42 PM.

#9 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:12 PM

Oh, I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :)

#10 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:40 PM

Firstly, I feel I should caution you about jumping in with both feet. Learn the basics first, like how to clear your mind, or contact your ' higher self' before delving into spirit work.  Your own mind will throw up road blocks for you if you are not ready. This brings me to the question, how do you know it was a negative entity?  I know that you don't really know us, and may not want to share too much, I get it, that is fine. Believe me, I know what it feels like to be attacked, and of course you are the only one who knows what it felt like for you, but you have stated yourself that you are very new at this, so let me throw this out there. Your own self, and those that protect you ( ancestors, guides, whatever ) will stop you from proceeding if you are not ready.  Sometimes that takes the form of scaring you into learning more. 

If you continue to walk this path,( witchcraft)  you will without a doubt run into unpleasant and frightening things from time to time, especially in the early stages. You simply can not have one without the other. You can not block everything out, or you will not grow and learn. 

You need to gain confidence and overcome fear. If you enter into trance or meditation with even the slightest thought or fear in the back of your mind about the 'negative entity' you encountered before, you are at best sabotaging yourself by incorporating your fear into your inner world, and at worst opening the door for it's return, and other things as well.

As someone who likes to read and loves books, I totally get why you may want to buy all the books and have them, but in the categories of witchcraft and spirit work there is an awful lot of rubbish published. Some of which is very popular and may have a lot of good reviews. The reviews don't always mean anything. I am saying this for the sake of your pocket book.

Do your own research first, use the web or the library. This forum has a ton of good info. I will see if I can find some relevant threads to bump for you if I have some time.  In the mean time, do a search from the home page of this forum, try  'spirit work , also : ancestor work', I think that might be useful to you.

Edited by Solanaceae, 31 July 2016 - 09:40 PM.

#11 NamedForTheMoon

NamedForTheMoon

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:21 PM

Thank you, Solanaceae. That's probably some of the best advice that I needed to hear, right now. I'll keep an eye out for those threads, if you find time to bump them. :)

I cancelled the Robert Bruce book, since it seems it will be counterproductive.