Sign in to follow this  
Kalinia

The lonely path

This topic is very thought provoking for me!

I wrote in agreement on @GKnox introduction thread about covens giving me the heebie jeebies. I think the ideal way for a group to form is well individuated people with different special talents or skills development coming together to cooperate. I don't know whether that would be more like a professional association (maybe like this forum) or more like a group mind (maybe like a coven), I guess this could be seen as a spectrum of different forms. I think what gives me the creeps is the idea of joining a group mind that revolves around a charismatic leader... charisma and leadership being that person's "special skill" that other group members are attracted to because of a lack of that in themselves. Leadership is a role, facilitation is a skill, so is the ability to organise and coordinate... to my mind, leadership and charisma do not constitute valid special skills that can stand alone in the absence of some personal professional development direction. "I want to be a leader" is not a career! I think that type of group is potentially toxic. I think it is also maybe the most common way for a group to form, even only because it is more difficult or less likely for different professionally minded individuals to come together, for example just because they would tend to be more geographically distant from one another.

It's a nice idea but at this point I don't see myself finding a close "crew" to be part of. There's something about me personally that is fundamentally unsuited to the group mind situation. I can take instructions well but I'm an independent spirit and I tend towards developing my own ideas about things which can frequently be somewhat oppositional. I'm interested in people but almost asocial and the more I'm alone (distinct from isolated) the more in touch I become with that deeper, hedge riding part of my mind. If anything I'm likely to form a group mind with fairies I meet. But I don't know in what sense that is comparable to a coven! I think my practice goes more towards being alone. But I do really appreciate a place like this forum!

Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2018 at 2:18 PM, Guest NatureMama said:

but ultimately I've always found what I was really looking for was more of a wholeness within myself. It probably sounds weird but what I felt I needed from someone outside myself was actually a need I had to fulfill and met for myself, through myself. This understanding made a huge difference

I can't quote them all (every post). Each one contains many statements that match exactly what I think/feel/experience.

But the part I quoted from Guest NatureMama really has been CRITICAL to my growth and advancement with magic.

Probably because of the Christian influence where people are taught that they are nothing, can do nothing for themselves...all they can do is totally depend on the trinity to do it for them. Which of course is completely opposite from the truth!

Edited by Homeschoolie

The thing to understand is we are all born to fundamentally live life alone & it manifests our thoughts through the ather or whatever you wish to call it into our reality, you can of course practice with a coven, however in doing so you will be joining something which is bigger & may not function exactly to your taste, including how the resulting magick behaves... We may be witches, but compromising in social situations is still a necessity (we just don't take on their beliefs) so clear communication between the members is absolutely essential & so is trust. Too many covens (this is just my opinion, not fact!) would love to function in a manner of sisterhood, however this requires extreme dedication, time & trust which not many individuals are willing to provide to anyone outside of their spouses or children. 

Look at how many Satanist cults teach their members abusive & unnecessary methods of magick & their followers just follow blindly... Bewaring who you place trust in is healthy.

Of course there's the opposite end of the spectrum of course to, the love & light crowd which practice yoga & mysticism...

Depends what you want in your life, if you don't do something then you don't know. Do whatever is true to you & If you believe it, it will happen.

Me? I'm happy with the net & the dog.

Sign in to follow this