getting started with astrology

RavenFlyer

Oh Onyx, I'm sorry! What app or website are you using? Astro.com is considered the industry standard for web-based (and the charts are much easier to read than a lot of other sites), and they have an option for unknown birth time. Or, if you're comfortable sharing your birthday, I can cast a basic one with one of my programs for you. Either way, please don't feel it's not for you! Astrology is for everyone who desires to learn it!

I used astro-charts, I did calculate for the UK but for some reason the chart I printed has my current location as Canada.  So I am thinking that my chart is incorrect.  I might just do it again.  I did do the chart as for 12:00am as recomended for unknown time of Birth.  I should be able to tell right away.  Thanks for the offer, phantasmagoria.

• 2 months later...

I have never paid too much attention to astrology, but I am working on a project that got me looking into the origins of it. After it's invention by the Babylonians, the Greeks and then Romans adopted it. Each attaching their mythology to the planets and constellations. The red planet being associated with blood was linked to the Roman War God, Mars. The brightest planet in the sky was associated with the love goddess Venus and so on. But the point I'm getting to, is why did astrology not evolve and adapt after the Romans? The word Zodiac means the cycle of animals but with western astrology it is mythical creatures and gods, so what happened there? Also associations/correspondences are subjective. The colour red to a lot of people is the colour of love and passion. So the attributes/characteristics of the Roman Goddess Venus could have quite easily been linked to Mars. Which would change the readings completely.

I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here, but hoping someone more learned in the subject may know more about the history of it? Was there a reason why the system didn't evolve with other cultures? or did it but they were not popularised?

Ok let me try posting again (feel free to delete my previous buggy posts!):

I don't know that associations/correspondences are subjective, they are the product of tradition and systematization. I'm sure your example was a shortcut and I get what you mean by it, but Mars doesn't get its significations from its color: it gets it from a series of attributes, mostly gender and temperament. (Funnily enough, passion is totally within the realm of Mars. A dignified, well-aspected Mars, meaning a functional Mars, can denote a passionate character in the best - and worst - sense of the term - I should know ;).) Before giving the planet the name of a god, the Greeks (who did that before the Romans btw) named them according to the way they shone in the night sky. Mars for instance was "the Fiery One" (source: Hellenistic Astrology by Chris Brennan). So, the planet-god associations happened after the planets’ significations coalesced into a system: the gods and planets match to some extent, they certainly overlap, but they are not synonymous. Someone well versed in Graeco-Roman mythology but who doesn’t know astrology might get somewhere by interpreting the planet-as-gods… but not very far at all.

Astrology totally evolved after the Romans; it's still evolving today! The most significant modern innovation (conceptually) is the "psychological turn" in Western astrology in the 20th century: that looks nothing like what the Ancients practiced, and yet it's still recognizably the same discipline. And, of course, astrology has evolved alongside astronomy: the Ancients used only the visible planets (obviously), but most Western astrologers today use Uranus, Neptune and Pluto to some extent. Some also use asteroids, and new ones are discovered very regularly. Significant conceptual evolutions happen every few centuries: in the Renaissance, a whole new branch of astrology was invented, for instance (horary astrology, where you cast a chart and interpret it to answer a question).

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word evolved, as the system of astrology would look completely different today as to when the Romans started using it. What I meant was, I wondered why other mythologies from newer times and cultures did not overwrite the associations, like the Greeks did to the Babylonians and the Romans did to the Greeks. I speak more of the constellations here, probably every culture throughout history have looked at the stars and drawn their own shapes and given stories to them, so why did the Roman myths stick?

2 hours ago, Phagos said:

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word evolved, as the system of astrology would look completely different today as to when the Romans started using it. What I meant was, I wondered why other mythologies from newer times and cultures did not overwrite the associations, like the Greeks did to the Babylonians and the Romans did to the Greeks. I speak more of the constellations here, probably every culture throughout history have looked at the stars and drawn their own shapes and given stories to them, so why did the Roman myths stick?

Phagos, that's what I meant to address in the last part of my original post but the forums still won't let me post it. Even now in a reply to a brand new comment! I'll just try to post screenshots at this stage I can't think of anything else.

(I disagree that the system of astrology looks completely different today though, modern Western astrology looks a lot more like Graeco-Roman astrology than Graeco-Roman astrology looked like Mesopotamian astrology for instance, because of the techniques and uses they fixed in the Western tradition. They basically invented natal astrology and its attendant techniques wholesale, which has since become the dominant branch by far. The revival of astrological magic and even electional astrology, the dominant forms of astrology in the ancient world, is a very recent blip in Western history).

image.png

image.png

• 3 months later...

As a general resource for more traditional forms of astrology (electoral and horary included) I can recommend skyscript.co.uk, it's a bit of a rabbit warren but the articles and links are an excellent save for the future, plus the forum is helpful. 

Edited by Dweomerthread