Nikki

Air Bender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:55 PM

That's fantastic, Belle.

Thank you so very much !!!

Hey RF....  I'm sorry that my excitement and curiosity stomped on your thread. 

Blending the two Arts is fun to explore, for me anyway.

Thanks Again and Sorry Again...lol

The difference between Medicine and Poison is the Dose. :oil-bottle:
I Love you as certain Dark Things are to be Loved,
In Secret, Between the Shadow and the Soul.
- Pablo Neruda

#22 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 09:24 PM

Don't worry about it Nikki. I think I will wait until the colder months to start delving into all of this.

Thanks everyone.

Please keep chatting about it all.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#23 Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:58 AM

The sort that extols things like 'you are your sun sign,' or that an aries and a gemini could never make a good romantic match, or you had better halt your entire life because, god forbid, mercury Rx has rolled around again!

I hear you. I am an Aries but there is barely anything of the Aries "traits" that apply to me. I have the impatience and temper and that's about it really, I'm not a leader or go-getter or outgoing etc. I began looking into my chart awhile ago out of curiosity and found all sorts of interesting things that made a lot more sense. So I do tend to hate the assumption that your personality or who you are fits neatly into the little "sun sign" box.

It's an interesting thought, combining the two. Never thought to but it's grabbed my curiosity so I'll keep it in mind in future.

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure. Thoughts are not etched on the inside of skulls, to be perused by an invader. The mind is a complex and many-layered thing." Severus Snape - HP and the Order of the Phoenix

#24 IslandBruja

IslandBruja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

Personally, I found Vedic astrology to be much more accurate than Western astrology (Western uses fixed placements, but the planets and stars (obviously) shift year after year and Vedic uses their ACTUAL position in the sky... So depending on what degree of your sign you're in, you could actually be a totally different sign in one system to the other (which also might help make sense of it "not feeling like you" -- for instance, in Western I'm a Cap w/ Cap Rising & Aries Moon. Not me at all. But in Vedic I'm a Cap w/ Sag Rising & Pisces Moon. VERY much like me!)

Western astrology's intentional ignoring of this fact is one big reason why "astrology" gets a bad name from scientists, because the signs in Western astrology have nothing to do with their real, observable positions.

But yes, in either system there is A LOT more going on than a Sun sign or Rising sign. I haven't done any studying in over a decade though, so if anyone is interested in Vedic (which is also the much, much older system) rather than the simplified Western system I'll have to dig around for some resources since my memory - once a wonder - is now quite pathetic :P ...just let me know if that's something you'd be interested in.

#25 phantasmagoria

phantasmagoria

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

Personally, I found Vedic astrology to be much more accurate than Western astrology (Western uses fixed placements, but the planets and stars (obviously) shift year after year and Vedic uses their ACTUAL position in the sky... So depending on what degree of your sign you're in, you could actually be a totally different sign in one system to the other (which also might help make sense of it "not feeling like you" -- for instance, in Western I'm a Cap w/ Cap Rising & Aries Moon. Not me at all. But in Vedic I'm a Cap w/ Sag Rising & Pisces Moon. VERY much like me!)
Western astrology's intentional ignoring of this fact is one big reason why "astrology" gets a bad name from scientists, because the signs in Western astrology have nothing to do with their real, observable positions.

Western astrology (Tropical) doesn't claim to be based on the fixed stars, though. In fact it actively chose to adjust in regard to the procession of the equinoxes (and there are many writers who explain it better than I can so please excuse my lack of depth here), and so it is based on the seasons. Aries remains the coming of spring, new growth, barging right in, etc. I cannot say which is more valid because I have only studied Western to any extent, but there is a valid and justified reason why this tradition uses a modified zodiac. It is basically designed to adjust for the shifting/procession. So one might say Vedic is based more on the fixed planetary bodies, and Tropical/Western on the moving bodies. Well, they all are moving, but the stars are so far away that we don't have any awareness of their shifts...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrology, introduction, planets, beginner