• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Merianna

Merianna

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:05 PM

Hi guys, it's winter solstice over here in South Africa tonight and was wondering what is it that you guys like to do on this special day of the year?
I myself usually like to use the chance to charge and cleanse some of my more used crystals.
Does the night or day also feel more packed with energy for everyone else like it does for me?

#2 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:30 PM

Wow...it is weird to think of you having Winter Solstice, when it is Summer here.

Mother Nature is so creative...

I got married on Winter Solstice, so that was always my anniversary. It was always a special day but it is right before Christmas here so I am always
getting ready for that. Usually on special days I simply observe and acknowledge them in a token way.

#3 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 01:08 AM

The Winter Solstice is my new year's eve but it's not a fireworks-and-champagne kind of new year. That's when I do all my planning for the upcoming year. It's a quiet time of year for me, both in my working life & the green folk are sleeping, so it's perfect. Especially if it's cold enough to have a fire (which isn't always the case where I live).

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#4 Merianna

Merianna

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:39 AM

Aww Belle that sounds so nice to get married on the winter solstice! Hahaha romantic too!
XD I figured it would be summer on your side by now hahaha makes life interesting :D

Mountain witch, that seems like a very good practice. Also very refreshing. If you think about it, it is a turning point of sorts. A day out of the whole year that is different and 'reverent', if i can put it like that.

#5 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 06:25 AM

Winter bride here too! Two weeks before our winter solstice though - or two weeks before Merianna's summer solstice. I wore green velvet and had red roses. Off topic, sorry... bridal wear! I guess I'm reminiscing. Anyway, yes I feel a kind of energy on those days but usually after the event. The winter one is also often busy because of the run up to Christmas and various people being around me who are not interested in such things. For now, at least. But last time, I harvested holly, ivy and pine and made a wreath for the door by weaving them around a bent wire coat hanger. It turned out quite well.

Mountainwitch- same here about it not being cold enough sometimes for a fire in December. Mother Nature will not be obvious will she! Like the solstices being at different times in different parts of the world - reminds me of a huge clock with different cogs going in different directions all at once but all working perfectly in time together.

Merianna- what sort of plants are seasonal for you at winter solstice?

Edited by Mistflower, 22 June 2016 - 06:33 AM.

Quick, said the bird, find them, find them,
Round the corner. Through the first gate

The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

#6 Merianna

Merianna

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 07:43 AM

I'm still getting more and more interested in herbs and plants these days, it's a hoby that keeps developing more and more. As i look at my little garden i have running now some of my mints are still going strong, my sage i have to harvest the leaves before they are no longer usefull, Rosemary is still carrying flowers as well as my basils, funny enough my Lavender is the liveliest of all my plants in this weather lol!
I am very keen on expanding my garden with the coming of the next spring, I've struggled to grow lemon balm and my lemon verbina is going to hibernate this winter.
I also have purple cone flowers that looks like it just made it's last blossom for this season.
I still have to research plants that are in season over here but those are my obvious ones XD

#7 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:20 AM

The obvious ones are good enough for me - I have most of those in full flow here in the UK right now too!

Good to hear your hobby is developing - that's how it happened with me too :)

#8 Merianna

Merianna

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:11 AM

Hahaha thanks Mistflower XD, i almost forgot, we also have hibiscus still flowering here as well. I'm also growing some chamomile from seeds as well.
I'm fighting with the insects eating my chockolate mints though! O.O even still now as it gets colder.

#9 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:45 AM

I have a hibiscus plant that ended up here because I got a load of old terracotta pots from a clearance sale a few weeks back. One of the pots had a dead looking stick in it which turned out to be a neglected hibiscus. It's now green and growing but no sign of any flowers as yet. I'm excited to see what happens there, because I've never had a hibiscus before. Somehow that kind of thing feels a bit exotic for me, but I was meant to have that plant.

#10 Merianna

Merianna

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:53 AM

That is great mistflower! A hibiscus is a beautiful plant to have and very hardy to because of it's thick waxy leaves. The flowers of the plant are the best you can use! They are really good for the hair and skin. It's also used as a blood thinner and has anti inflamatory properties. You can use the yellow or red flowers and dry them to crush the petals to make a face mask. The darker variety flowers can stain your skin and hair so you should be caurefull about thay little bit.
And mine just seem to keep flowering forever! XD
Great plant to have in your garden! And a beautiful addition!

#11 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:42 PM

Can the peachy/coral colored flowers be used or are the red ones better for teas and such?

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#12 Merianna

Merianna

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:51 PM

Any colour can actually be used for the teas, the colour of the petals don't change the properties of the plant itself. Some might be more potent than others but that's basically it.
The peachy ones I'd say is better to use because it won't stain your skin or maybe even the inside of your mouth as much as the red ones would XD. Don't know if that's true but I'm careful. Hibiscus is also really good for sore or infected throats.
Personally i would use the red ones for dyeing.

#13 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:44 PM

I had no idea it would stain the inside of your mouth.  Good to know :)

and thanx!

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#14 Merianna

Merianna

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

Lol i think there is a posibility that it could 😂 don't know if it really would but that's just what i think. I have seen red hibiscus tea but haven't read anything about it staining someone's mouth yet 😆