• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:18 PM

I saw the "Conjuring 2" earlier this week. I am a horror fan, so am apt to draw connections that may or may not exist:)...
The first Conjuring was based on the idea that the house was haunted by an accused witch named "Bathsheeba", while this is somewhat different from the real story- the movie version states Bathsheeba was caught in the act of attempting to sacrifice a child to the devil, then proclaimed her love for Satan, cursed all who would take her property, and hung herself.

Now the Conjuring 2 has a spirit that manifests in a few different ways- but one of them was as the "Crooked Man". This famous mother goose rhyme is given a fair amount of attention in the movie, otherwise no mention of witches...

However, that verse, seems to be one of many fairy tales and nursery rhymes with hidden meanings. I have heard this rhyme explained similarly elsewhere, but I can not recall where, neither am I sure my translation is the same as what I have heard before. Perhaps, this is already familiar to everyone?

"There was a crooked man
And he walked a crooked mile. (Crooked path?)
He Found a crooked sixpence upon a crooked stile. (An offering? At a liminal space?)
He bought a crooked cat, (a familiar?)
Who caught crooked mouse. ((One must feed one's familiar or fetch..?)
And they all lived together in a crooked little house."

(A "stile"is an arrangement of steps that allows people but not animals to climb over a fence or wall.)

Anyway, I had to wonder if this was the writers attempt to include an undercurrent of witchcraft again.:).

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#2 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 03:09 AM

Definitely sounds like it. I can't wait to see it

#3 NorthernPilgrim

NorthernPilgrim

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:22 AM

It has a sequence? Gosh what did I miss? Anyway I enjoyed the first one (not so much for the spin-off about Annabelle), so I think I will go and see the second.

#4 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:36 AM

FYI it is not about the same family. It's about the Enfield haunting- a different Ed and Lorraine Warren case.

I did not like Annabelle either. Besides if you buy a doll that freakin ugly your asking for trouble.

Conjuring 2 is worth seeing though IMO. :) Made me jump a couple times, which is challenging:).

#5 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 06:59 AM

More on witchy nursery rhymes and Corey's take on the Crooked Man... https://newworldwitc...c-mother-goose/

#6 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:34 AM

Some of those old nursery rhymes are very creepy. 

I liked the first Conjuring. Also a horror fan. My son is going to see the new on in a few days.

The Annabelle movie was terrible, but the real Annabelle is kind of adorable. 

Annabelle - Ed & Lorraine Warren

I made a raggedy doll that looks just like her. Of course I call her Annabelle.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#7 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:51 AM

This is going here because this page was opened when this happened. It is 3:44 AM. I am driving through PA on route 476.

I just pulled over because my car just scared the shit out of me. My sunroof just opened and closed itself. I nearly peed. I am the FIRST person to explain shit away- to a fault in fact. But that shit just happened and the only control for it is on the ceiling which I absolutely was not touching. Not sure what's going on, but thought I'd share.

@Solanaceae- yes the real story of Annabelle is what made the movie so disappointing. Humph ACTUALLY it was when I opened your link to see Annabelle the damn car got possessed- lol.:)

Okay, collected again. As much as I ever am:).

Edited by Oroboros, 18 June 2016 - 07:54 AM.

#8 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:33 AM

Erm, apologies to the OP for derailing such a riveting thread :)

Edited by Oroboros, 18 June 2016 - 08:47 AM.

#9 NorthernPilgrim

NorthernPilgrim

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:59 AM

Definitely will see it then.

#10 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:07 AM

I think we discussed this very same  nursery here on site a few years ago. I will see if i can find the thread.

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#11 RavenFlyer

RavenFlyer

Backwoods Witch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:11 AM

found it!

http://www.tradition...oked-man-rhyme/

My ETSY store:

Appalachian Witchery http://www.etsy.com/...lachianWitchery

#12 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 05:30 AM

RF, what a great thread.  I actually did a search to see if this had been covered before before I made the post.  Somehow I missed that.  (Possibly the million hits for the words "crooked" "path" and "man" :)..)  

#13 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 07:29 AM

Thanks for that link RF! Fascinating.

Another one I always found creepy and interesting is Antigonish, aka The little man who wasn't there.
That one is apparently about a ghost though, so understandable

https://en.m.wikiped...tigonish_(poem)

#14 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 12:59 PM

This is going here because this page was opened when this happened. It is 3:44 AM. I am driving through PA on route 476.
I just pulled over because my car just scared the shit out of me. My sunroof just opened and closed itself. I nearly peed. I am the FIRST person to explain shit away- to a fault in fact. But that shit just happened and the only control for it is on the ceiling which I absolutely was not touching. Not sure what's going on, but thought I'd share.
@Solanaceae- yes the real story of Annabelle is what made the movie so disappointing. Humph ACTUALLY it was when I opened your link to see Annabelle the damn car got possessed- lol.:)
Okay, collected again. As much as I ever am:).

You know, that really does sound like one of Annabelle's tricks. Hmmm, is she finding ways to reach out from her little box I wonder? Maybe don't drive while looking at her pick, lol. Hope you're car is back to normal!

#15 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:54 PM

@ Solanaceae- first, love that poem- had not heard that before.

As for my car. Yes, it's back to normal. To be honest I didn't say it at first because I thought I'd sound unbalanced, but to be specific I had opened the site and just laid eyes on Anabelle when it happened.:). I also assumed that was a coincidence because the alternative seemed silly.
Right after it happened and all my sphincters relaxed;) I pulled over and tried to "talk". No one seemed to be there. Save the thought "I chose to do THAT so you couldn't question it." Meaning the freaking sunroof which is unexplainable versus, say the radio, which may or may not be a fluke. Though I had no feel for who "I" was. So, are you pulling my chain, or do you actually think a haunted doll could fuck with someone over the internet?

#16 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 12:10 AM

I was sort of kidding, since it sounded like you were as well. However;

I think Ed and Lorraine embellish a lot of there stories, as interesting as they are. That said, I am sure there is 'something' to most of them.

According to some of the stories about Annabelle,  what you experienced would not be that far fetched. She does seem to have a knack for messing with vehicles for one thing. She has apparently effected those not in her presence as well, usually after they had visited her at the museum. This despite the protections the Warrens have supposedly employed, like the special sealed viewing box she sits in.

The entity that has supposedly attached itself to the doll Annabelle, is not a regular ghost. It is an inhuman entity. In many cases involving demons, they have been able to effect people through images, statues or photos as an example. Why wouldn't an image on the internet work just as well?

Basically I am saying that it is my opinion that it is possible.

Edited by Solanaceae, 20 June 2016 - 12:12 AM.

#17 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:57 AM

Oh I WAS initially completely joking. Like, damn Solanaceae, that's one hell of an internet virus you sent me... :)  Then I thought, well the timing was freaking exact.  And I was unsure how serious your comment was.  It definitely pushes the envelop of "the way things usually work" in my experience, but my experience is somewhat limited.  

I've had a couple surprises in the last few months about what can happen (nothing quite that far out YET though:)).  AND, I tend to over think the shit out of everything.  Even things I do know to be "supernatural",  and am trying to learn to be more open minded.  I think it is more likely it was an entity I had met before recently playing jokes, but really not sure.  Ive heard the Annabelle story elsewhere. But I did not remember that it is an inhuman entity.  That certainly does open up the door to a lot more possibilities.  Thanks for the thoughts and info. :)

Edited by Oroboros, 20 June 2016 - 02:00 AM.

#18 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:11 AM

For more on rhymes and such... I enjoyed this thread.  http://www.tradition...l= fairy tales

#19 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:27 AM

Hmmm, I just read more of the thread posted by RavenFlyer.  Lilith is discussed. You ever get that tap on the shoulder/ whisper in the ear "THIS is important...listen..pay attention" and you accept that, but don't understand the why or how?  

Listening. 

#20 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:56 AM

I think it is more likely it was an entity I had met before recently playing jokes, but really not sure.

Entirely possible. Many entities love to play those games, and that would have been the perfect opportunity.  Usually it is the once human kind that do that sort of thing. Or it could be something that wants to get your attention, and help you to stop doubting?

P.S. You don't think Lilith was messing with your sun roof do you? :o