Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Talking with spirits/the unseen - where to even start?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:15 AM

That's a badass story Zombs, and perfect timing as I've been thinking about asking my guides to find a specific "spirit teacher" to help me with something I am working through right now. I have someone in mind, but I'm also open to my trusted spirits finding me a more suitable teacher if that's in my best interest.

But I've been wondering what exactly working with that teacher would look like and your story is a great example of one way that might happen. Ahh syncronicity...

#42 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:39 PM

Glad to hear it. ; ).

#43 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:49 PM

I know this is a very old post but it's really helpful. I tend to think I don't work much with spirits but actually I use shamanic journeying which is of course... about spirits :rolleyes: I do feel strongly that Tarot nudged me towards it - until then I would have said tarot was purely my instinct / subconscious guiding me but now I'm not so sure!

There are lots of books and web articles on shamanic journeying although it's easier in a group setting with an experienced practitioner leading. On your first journey you meet your spirit guide (generally an animal) and from there you can work with other spirits / ancestors / teachers. It's a really rewarding, transformative path and I found very quickly that it forced me to confront and embrace my shadow side. I was very afraid of it at first - I didn't understand what it was but making peace with it has made me feel more whole and in my own power if that makes sense.  Shamanic pathwork isn't any way fluffy (I wish!) but it's deeply, deeply rewarding and insightful and is a great entry point for working with spirits.

#44 Pazuzu

Pazuzu

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 05:34 AM

I'm going to say something that is horrible advice.. and you should not try it.. I'm only sharing it because it worked for me.. but I'm pretty fucked up.. so... it probably isn't the best advice to follow, lol..
I was nervous about this topic.. and I always second guess every decision I make.. but one day.. I got really... REALLY.. drunk....and listened to an audiobook on communicating with the dead... half way through.. I decided 'fuck it'... I'm gonna try this...
(Note- In the beginning of the book it has a disclaimer to NOT do what I did.. and to finish the book first... but... I'm kind of an idiot...)
I LUCKED OUT.. because I haven't had any negative encounters when I purposely do it... sometimes when my mind is drifting or I'm not really paying attention.. (watching a movie, reading a book, daydreaming, driving) something freaky would happen... and an accidental connection be made... but most of the time.. Its all good.. but then I hear horror stories from others... it's why I keep a steady supply od sage and a mixture of herbs I have 'In case of emergency'
Again... i do not recommend it... I kind of wished I used more caution when starting out.. I think the fact that my ancestors and deceased family and friends are so over protective... is the only reason I'm not completely fucked

"Nilbog... it's Goblin spelled backwards!!"

#45 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 06:25 AM

Lots of people work with spirits in intoxicated states. That's the point protections serve. Quite a bit of witchcraft is done in altered states - liminal spaces, astral planes, poison plants - I know some people who mostly practice with flying ointments. It's only stupid if you don't know what you're doing or how to protect yourself.

RSKHFMY

#46 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:32 PM

Ravenshaw that's a really interesting point about the protections. This sounds really stupid but the protection thing is probably my weakest point. Is there a 'protection 101' book / site / tactic you can recommend? Shamanism relies a lot on your animal spirit and power animals but it would be good to know more about safely branching off that path.

#47 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 10:34 PM

(And I have only really used drumming and cacao to alter consciousness. I find it fairly easy to shift consciousness with those 2 things)

#48 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 04:22 AM

When I was learning, I set stiff parameters. I worked only with my spirit guide or those OKd by him later on, and designated a weekday and segment of time for spirit contact. And we stuck to it faithfully. A pact. Thursdays are an occult energy compatible weekday. Thie strict adherance to agreed upon rules was advised by the medium I learned from. I've found that some protections that work for others weren't within my scope of ability, as I'm a light-weight when it comes to Other Realms. What I had lots of was sheer, bloody-minded stubborn attitude; an inner, animal-level, territorial "this is my space" attitude. I have my own life to live. I don't mess around where I don't belong. Always close the doors that you've opened, and break contact when done. Be very clear on that during the learning stages. And don't ignore little things like asking for spiritual grace, lighting a blessed, white candle and setting out a glass of water to absorb negativity (dump it down a drain afterwards.).

Working with ancestors is much the same, and ancestor shrines are good links for making contacts. It helps to have mementos owned by them, and psychometry with heirlooms can be useful. Just take it all with caution until you find a means to verify data.

Using automatic writing during the designated times can help open spirit contact. Reserving a deck of Tarot cards strictly for spirit communications is another idea. Personally I suck at Tarot, but it works for lots of other folks. I was learning trance/direct voice contact. I heard voices and saw ghosts at age 4. I just didn't know what it was until 17. Then it took me 2 years to get a spirit voice link, and 3 more years to get functional. I was not one of those that could fall into a babbling trance on a ouija board. In college, I was part of a learning circle of anywhere from 5 to 9 members, depending on work and class schedules. It was work, but it was fun too.

Creating a Place of Power, a fancy name for a safe place in the astral, can help too. Take as long as needed to mentally construct a place in the imagination that is comfortable and natural. Whatever is your personal spot to retreat to for reverent thought. Go there in every meditation as the starting place and return-to place. Use it for all spirit contacts.

Save working with the Fae until you have established a reliable relationship with your spirit guide, whatever form this may take. The Fae have their own rules and for very good reasons, known to them. I won't pretend to know anything about it either. I'm open if they contact me, if they should wish it, & not the other way 'round. Fae are not darling little pets-like beings. They are a fierce race that has survived, and they don't take being trivialized well. They can be incredibly kind

Edited by Zombee, 29 July 2017 - 04:37 AM.

#49 witchinplainsight

witchinplainsight

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:10 PM

Great post Zombee thanks