Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Talking with spirits/the unseen - where to even start?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:01 AM

I have only ever worked with guardians, and guides or spirits within a closed system.  I can't work with spirits of the deceased, except for the crossing over process. Once they are processed then they are off limits to me.

From what I hear, the ancestor way sounds pretty safe. 

#22 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 01:04 AM

"processed"? Just curious what you mean...

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#23 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

Processed means that the transformation has taken place. I only work with people I know personally, so there is something I am asked to do when somebody dies, and I might do some work or visualize the scene as the person is making the transition. It usually takes a few days. This is how I perceive it, but I don't have contact with individuals once they have crossed over. 

#24 andreeje

andreeje

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:56 PM

Starting with ones ancestors is an awesome suggestion, as several here have pointed out. One of the biggest reasons is that what they were is literally inside you as well in your DNA. You are also the living legacy of all of their hard work. Everything they did in life, all the joys, all the struggles, everything was left in the hands of their children, and then the process continued until you were born. You are the accumulation of generations of lives all wrapped in to one living, breathing package. Which means your ancestors have your best interests at heart as guides, teachers and protectors. They are also the spirits closest to you by means of your inherited DNA from every one of them.

Hence the reason they are approached first in many practices. Working with spirits can attract those who are unwanted, and your ancestors are your first, and strongest, line of defense and protection.

Another very strong aide in spirit work are the spirits of nature. If they are local to your area (or the property where you live), then that will make the link with them even that much more potent. Also, working with them, as well as with your ancestors, helps to open up your abilities to communicate with spirits. To start just find a place in nature as close to your home as possible (your actual home being ideal but not required, not everyone lives in the wild), and talk to them asking for a relationship and leave an offering.

Aside from that, focus on dream recall, as a common vehicle spirits use for communication is your own dreams. But if you can't remember them, then the benefit is minimal. So write down every dream every morning, as this is one of the best methods, and most simple, I've found for remembering dreams in vivid detail (It's also the first step to lucid dreaming).

#25 andreeje

andreeje

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:09 PM

After ancestors and local spirits of nature, one possibility to branch out towards is folk Saints. Seeing as you have a Catholic background, the idea of Saints may not cause nearly as much fear. But with your current path being in witchcraft then the various folk Saints are a decent choice, as their backgrounds of being Christian is highly questionable for most of them. That and the Church doesn't recognize most of them as it is. Saint Cyprian of Antioch is a perfect example of this; who was once even recognized by the Catholic Church at one point, but had his "Saintly" title taken away several decades ago. Though the "demotion" was more than likely due to his much written about past as in sorcery, necromancy and witchcraft.

There are many more folk Saints out there. And this is just a suggestion that I thought, considering your upbringing, you may be more comfortable with to start from.

#26 Aria

Aria

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:41 AM

Coming late to the game, but still wann drop my two cents. 

Do not try to attempt 'spirits'. Saying you want to communicate to spirit is like saying you want to talk to 'people': there a billions of us. 
If you've been doing any form of magick with the slightest degree of success, it is possible that some spirits may have already contacted you and are observing you. 
Build on this. The state of mind that you need to go into to make magick is the same you need to go into when contacting spirits, you have to listen. 

Ancestors are a good place to go to, more so that 'nature spirits', for a first contact. There are many spirits in nature, many of them can have a guarding attitude towards people they do not know or who do not know follow the protocol they deem reputable. Plants spirits are safer than place spirits, but still, they're very different creatures that the spirits of people who are dead. Their language is different, their ways are different, their expectations are different. 

As it's already been state, dream is a good place to ask ancestors to make contact. Put up an offering on a shrine or a window/door in your house, ask the spirit (always better to name them than to go for rando 'spirit') and go to sleep. Do this time and time again, until you get a message. Then write it down. If it works, you've opened a channel for communication and it will be used. From there, you can work on 'awake' communication - or ask the ancestor themself how to go about contacting them in a state of wake. 

Yes, 'spirits' will trick you, and the easiest way to be tricked is to attempt contacting 'spirits' in general. You have to be ready for this, work on your protections and keep an open eye. Ancestors may generally be better disposed towards contact - although it's not always the case. 

Hope this helps. 

La strega è un frutto di terra. (M.)

#27 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 06:53 AM

Personally, considering the gene pool of my currently existing, known family - my ancestors have some explaining to do.

#28 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 12:48 PM

Personally, considering the gene pool of my currently existing, known family - my ancestors have some explaining to do.

-----------

lol, mine too!

#29 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 11:33 PM

Late to the game but what I've learned In my short time in witchcraft is that generally if you don't have a specific reason or purpose to contact spirits of the dead, you shouldn't do it. Don't feel pressured to do it just because you want to feel more "witchy" or because you think it's the next logical step on your path. As others have stated, throwing open a doorway with nothing but a general call of "talk to me, whoever is there" (especially while you are had outing fear or putting out a "smell" of vulnerability) is a sure fire way to draw the bad stuff out of the woodwork. (Ouija board horror stories anyone?) You wouldn't throw open your front door and yell out to anyone one walking past...well most of us wouldn't, anyways...some of us are odd...

That being said, there are plenty of ways to work yourself up to a point that some day, if you need to contact a spirit or entity directly, you can do so safely and without fear. I started with ancestral veneration. Ancestors have a vested interest in you, and you've actually got a good reason to talk to them because of that. At the same time, I chose a few plants to focus on connecting with on a spiritual level. Plants are usually pretty harmless to work with if you are polite and don't abuse them (I.e Tobacco, poisons or hallucinogens), and it's a good way to learn how to listen and sense spirit with something other than your five physical senses. When you've attuned that sense, you'll find that it gets pricked when you are out in nature or in highly "liminal" spaces, places thick with spirit. At this point, just be aware and polite when you run into that...acknowledge the presence and be at peace with them. You may even find that leaving offerings for your land spirits or house folk makes them very hospitable.

Once you have built a habit of honoring your ancestors, let them know you'd like some guidance in how to communicate with them. Then you really just need to watch and wait, because the signs and messages will start appearing in various forms. When you feel confident that someone who means well on the other side is trying to reach out to you, you can start to go a little deeper. There are many divination techniques to communicate with them and find out if they are benevolent. When you feel confident and the fear has subsided, THEN you can try to contact them in a trance or through ritual. Ask your ancestors (perhaps by name) to protect you thru that process and make sure you've got energy boundaries in your home.

Ive already made some stupid mistakes along the way but my ancestors provided protection and guidance throughout the process, even allowing me to get shaken up by some scary shit to let me know that I needed to be more careful about protecting myself and home. But I beleive they wouldn't have let anything really harm me, because I had reached out to them first.

Spirits can be tricky or manipulative so you still have to be smart. But if you are careful and take things slow, trusting the guidance of the spirits that earn your trust over time, you can proceed without fear. And it can be incredible where the journey will take you, and the wisdom that will be revealed.

Edited by RapunzelGnome, 05 June 2016 - 11:48 PM.

#30 venusaversa

venusaversa

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 12:14 AM

I also am interested in contacting the spirit world. I wish to reach out to ancestors, but I'm unsure of who they are? I would like protection from them. I also want to contact other spirit types; definitely plants, animals, and others. Im not sure who to contact first. After reading this, I'm thinking plants, because I love plants and I love working with them. They are my strength. Im also thinking ancestors as protection from things in my life, as well as any negative spirits or energy that may seek out my invitation. I dont know my ancestors. How can I go about contacting them if I dont even know who they are? Im a mutt, but generally speaking, I come from a very Swedish and Polish background. My dad traced our lineage to the vikings in Sweden. My mom and her ancestors are heavily Polish. But I have no names, nothing sure. Can someone help me out, or perhaps point me toward a thread that can help me with this issue? 

Also, I think I may to reach out to plant spirits later tonight. I have never reached out to the spirit world. Like Sage (Sage is my daughters name btw :)), I've had my fears. I was Christian once. Not for a long time, but I was. And I have heard an evil spirit speak to me in a language I did not understand while laying in bed one morning. It terrified me and I still have no idea what it was. It spoke to me as if it were right by my ear. Very clear speech, just couldnt understand the dialect. Anyone have any ideas about that as well? I'd love to hear them.  (I would like to add, if anyone is wondering, that I knew that whatever it was that spoke to me was bad/evil/however you want to put it. Negative. I felt the negative energy in its voice and behind me once it spoke. It wasnt just fear...it was...just bad. It felt bad.)

This is a path I've ALWAYS wished to travel. I just never have. I feel like I am ready, but need guidance.

Edited by venusaversa, 06 June 2016 - 12:19 AM.

#31 lalinrises

lalinrises

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 02:20 PM

I also am interested in contacting the spirit world. I wish to reach out to ancestors, but I'm unsure of who they are? I would like protection from them. I also want to contact other spirit types; definitely plants, animals, and others. Im not sure who to contact first. After reading this, I'm thinking plants, because I love plants and I love working with them. They are my strength. Im also thinking ancestors as protection from things in my life, as well as any negative spirits or energy that may seek out my invitation. I dont know my ancestors. How can I go about contacting them if I dont even know who they are? Im a mutt, but generally speaking, I come from a very Swedish and Polish background. My dad traced our lineage to the vikings in Sweden. My mom and her ancestors are heavily Polish. But I have no names, nothing sure. Can someone help me out, or perhaps point me toward a thread that can help me with this issue? 

Also, I think I may to reach out to plant spirits later tonight. I have never reached out to the spirit world. Like Sage (Sage is my daughters name btw :)), I've had my fears. I was Christian once. Not for a long time, but I was. And I have heard an evil spirit speak to me in a language I did not understand while laying in bed one morning. It terrified me and I still have no idea what it was. It spoke to me as if it were right by my ear. Very clear speech, just couldnt understand the dialect. Anyone have any ideas about that as well? I'd love to hear them.  (I would like to add, if anyone is wondering, that I knew that whatever it was that spoke to me was bad/evil/however you want to put it. Negative. I felt the negative energy in its voice and behind me once it spoke. It wasnt just fear...it was...just bad. It felt bad.)

This is a path I've ALWAYS wished to travel. I just never have. I feel like I am ready, but need guidance.

--------

Do you know of any recently passed grand parents or great grandparents? You could start there and ask them to connect you with more of your lineage. Due to my mother being from Haiti, I can only trace family back two to three generations. So because of that, my first point of contact is my great grandmother who I had been fortunate to have been close to as a child. She was very christian but also quite psychic and a year before she died gave me a lock of her hair. I will say it took several months before I really felt a connection was made. 

I don't remember this one woman's youtube but, she was adopted and I vaguely remember her using her blood in a ritual to connect with her ancestors because she was adopted. So that might be worth exploring as well.

#32 venusaversa

venusaversa

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 12:09 AM

--------

Do you know of any recently passed grand parents or great grandparents? You could start there and ask them to connect you with more of your lineage. Due to my mother being from Haiti, I can only trace family back two to three generations. So because of that, my first point of contact is my great grandmother who I had been fortunate to have been close to as a child. She was very christian but also quite psychic and a year before she died gave me a lock of her hair. I will say it took several months before I really felt a connection was made. 

I don't remember this one woman's youtube but, she was adopted and I vaguely remember her using her blood in a ritual to connect with her ancestors because she was adopted. So that might be worth exploring as well.

I didn't know my great grandparents very well, but I am going to look in the records on an ancestry site and see how far back I can get. I know I have a great great maybe? great grandfather named Leland. He was a farmer. I suppose I could try that. He had a wife but I cant remember her name. I'll be researching that. 

Using blood may actually be a great idea. I'll to look into that too. Thank you :)

#33 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 01:38 AM

For whatever it's worth- this is probably going to sound weird because one would assume who your relatives are is a fixed thing- but I found putting out there that you are looking helps. For example, I just kind of put it out there to my "ancestors" in general that I was interested in developing a relationship. Not too long after that I found out a grandparent I had thought was not worth knowing was in fact very much worth getting to know. It was one of those situations where some not so nice living folk had told a not so nice bullshit version of past events about the aforementioned deceased grandparent. It was so directly out of the blue and clearly in response to my request- the way this info came to light-it was obviously in response to my petition.

#34 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:43 AM

For whatever it's worth- this is probably going to sound weird because one would assume who your relatives are is a fixed thing- but I found putting out there that you are looking helps. For example, I just kind of put it out there to my "ancestors" in general that I was interested in developing a relationship. Not too long after that I found out a grandparent I had thought was not worth knowing was in fact very much worth getting to know. It was one of those situations where some not so nice living folk had told a not so nice bullshit version of past events about the aforementioned deceased grandparent. It was so directly out of the blue and clearly in response to my request- the way this info came to light-it was obviously in response to my petition.

This is not the first time you have made a post about ancestors that sounds eerily similar to my experience. Actually, exactly.  Like I could have wrote this myself.

I have  also found that it does not matter if they are actually your blood relatives. It is more about who claims you as theirs. In these cases, your blood wouldn't necessarily help with making contact. 

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#35 venusaversa

venusaversa

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:47 AM

I did reach out last night and sort of get a feel for whats in my house. I do feel like there is one, maybe more, spirits wandering my home. I never feel alone. Actually, I hate the feeling of being alone and I know it well. I do have my kids in their bedroom sleeping, but thats not it because Ive felt that same empty, alone feeling with them in other places. It happens when they go to bed. I can feel something else is here, and it does feel positive. Its comforting. Anyway, I asked to be shown something in my dreams. I dreamed about a friend of my brothers whom I have feelings for. Im doubting it is at all related, and I will continue to try. Im wondering how some of you ask for involvement in your dreams? Do you ever use anything or cast a spell as well? Or just ask? Perhaps meditate? 

#36 lalinrises

lalinrises

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:46 PM

I did reach out last night and sort of get a feel for whats in my house. I do feel like there is one, maybe more, spirits wandering my home. I never feel alone. Actually, I hate the feeling of being alone and I know it well. I do have my kids in their bedroom sleeping, but thats not it because Ive felt that same empty, alone feeling with them in other places. It happens when they go to bed. I can feel something else is here, and it does feel positive. Its comforting. Anyway, I asked to be shown something in my dreams. I dreamed about a friend of my brothers whom I have feelings for. Im doubting it is at all related, and I will continue to try. Im wondering how some of you ask for involvement in your dreams? Do you ever use anything or cast a spell as well? Or just ask? Perhaps meditate? 

----

I would keep note of that, if you feel something or someone is there then trust your intuition.  Perhaps write down the dream? Just in case it sheds light on something later down the road. 

Edited by lalinrises, 08 June 2016 - 02:49 PM.

#37 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 18 June 2016 - 04:47 AM

This is not the first time you have made a post about ancestors that sounds eerily similar to my experience. Actually, exactly.  Like I could have wrote this myself.

I have  also found that it does not matter if they are actually your blood relatives. It is more about who claims you as theirs. In these cases, your blood wouldn't necessarily help with making contact. 

------------

I somehow just NOW saw this, which I don't understand because I check my notifications all the time, but anyway...

Maybe we are related:).  Im not even completely joking.  I have some cousins and other relatives floating around out there that are unknowns:).  My family could put to shame some of the shit on Jerry Springer (no exaggeration required).  It is what it is.  Only, sometimes, it isn't.  As in, just when you think you've chipped away all of the bullshit veneer, well damn, there actually was another layer. :)

"who claims you as theirs"... hmm.  That is significant too.  Thank you.  

-----

What is that saying?  You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your family.  No, that's not it:).  You can't pick your friends noses... But, what's the part about not picking your family?     :D

My poor husband comes from a very functional, loving normal family.  With an actual appropriate amount of weird, like most people have.  We have lots of conversations that end in him giving me a confused puppy look and saying, "wait".... "WHAT?!?"   Which is where I go- "I warned you.  Don't even act like I didn't.:)"

Edited by Oroboros, 18 June 2016 - 04:48 AM.

#38 Levinthross

Levinthross

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 07:29 AM

I think spiritwork is best started with a familiar spirit or a ancestor that way there is a spirit capable and willing to protect you as well as speak on your behalf or act as witness to rites,spells or communing with strong foreign spirits in a way there like a god parent or older sibling I also recommend that you speak through something incense to carry your prayers a candle to open communication any force that would lend power to your words and guide them and there intention

#39 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:29 PM

I had a lot of luck starting with non-human spirits, such as certain plant spirits, animal spirits, protective land spirits.... but then again, I'm not much of a human spirit kinda person. Different strokes for different folks, find yours.

RSKHFMY

#40 Zombee

Zombee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 11:55 PM

I remember 30years ago, when I was first starting on the WC trail, and you know how newbies agonize over circle casting; well I asked my guides if they could help. There was sort of an unanimous "shrug" in response, so I left it alone. A few nights later I dreamt my guides introduced me to Elsie Gibbons and that she would help me. Elsie was Scottish, circa 1860's. As far as I know, she is not an ancestor.

The dream was long and detailed, and Elsie fully instructed me in when, and when not, to cast(with a bit of humor). Also how to raise and focus the energy, by pulling down from the sky and up from the earth, to meet at the belly. Then sending it out from either the belly, heart or hands. She told me to always be aware of my power, that is, centered. And showed me what it felt like.

We went to the garden and worked at seeing and sensing plant energies. She cupped her hands around the plants and projected a visible shield around the plants before speaking to the plant spirit, that she called her "little dearies." Within that shield, I could see the plant's energy change color and respond to her. When the response was golden, was when the plant was giving permission to cut. She used a paring knife and cut on an angle, to protect the plant, she said, and cut only where the light appeared. She said that she always tells the plant very simply what she wanted it for and asked if it would come and help her.

When I woke, it didn't feel as if it had been a dream, but that it was quite real and that I had just come indoors from the garden. I had even checked my feet to see if they were dirty. In those days, i had 2/3s of my yard tilled for vegetable (tomato, cucumber, peppers, squash, beans and peas) and a small flower garden. I can't keep it up anymore, and have gone back to lawn and a neglected flower patch. And awake, it was not as easy as she made it seem. She had true affection for plants...like I feel for my cats. But her method does work. It produced an abundant vege crop. I had extras, to share.

Edited by Zombee, 01 July 2016 - 12:37 AM.