Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Talking with spirits/the unseen - where to even start?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 sagemoonmama

sagemoonmama

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:36 PM

I have come to a point at which I feel the next step in my path is communing with the spirit world, whether human, animal, or other. This is something that I'm being drawn to; however, my fears about everything that could go wrong are keeping me from trying anything at all. This is a part of the craft completely new to me, so while I've been reading and gathering information, I'm scared to actually take the next step and enact any of it within my own life.

Any tips or advice on opening the door to these things? I think my biggest concern is that I'll try even the smallest of acts and unintentionally open the floodgates to things I won't be ready to handle or that wish me harm.

I know that there is an expected amount of risk with these kinds of things, and it's something I have to be aware of and accept...but I don't want the unknown and my fears about it to keep me from ever moving forward or challenging myself.

Sorry to ramble...any thoughts? 😊

#2 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:49 PM

Hi Sage,

How is your meditation and visualisation? Do you practice these often? Do you have any knowledge of Grounding and protecting yourself??

It is interesting to note that you feel that you are ready for this step but are afraid as to what you will find.

I don't see the need for fear myself but since fear seems to play a big part in your post, maybe it would be a good idea to learn the above first so that you are confident and positive about taking on the experience whatever it throws at you?

Just a thought :)

#3 sagemoonmama

sagemoonmama

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:25 PM

Hi Sage,

How is your meditation and visualisation? Do you practice these often? Do you have any knowledge of Grounding and protecting yourself??

It is interesting to note that you feel that you are ready for this step but are afraid as to what you will find.

I don't see the need for fear myself but since fear seems to play a big part in your post, maybe it would be a good idea to learn the above first so that you are confident and positive about taking on the experience whatever it throws at you?

Just a thought :)

Thank you for your thoughts - I think self protection is what I'm most worried about. Maybe I'm too focused on what negative energy I might raise, but I do think I can definitely afford to strengthen my ability to protect myself before I move forward. I don't feel confident in my ability to make sure I don't unintentionally bring harm upon myself or my home.

#4 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

Why not start with a your spirit guide/guides.... these are the ones that want to help you and want you to communicate with them. These are the ones who try to guide you every day. I can't see how you can feel negative energy towards them?

#5 sagemoonmama

sagemoonmama

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:22 PM

Why not start with a your spirit guide/guides.... these are the ones that want to help you and want you to communicate with them. These are the ones who try to guide you every day. I can't see how you can feel negative energy towards them?

Yes, I am focusing on strengthening the connection I have there, with offerings and daily reflection. My greatest struggle I think moving forward will be to trust myself and my guides, and not feel so much self-doubt in this aspect of things.

#6 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

They already communicate with you in so many ways, it is just done subtly. I would ask for a dream. Before you go to sleep, ask for them to show you something in a dream. Hopefully you are a dreamer. 

Natural ways to communicate are just through your thoughts, or musings and self talk..intuition and synchronicity. You might sense things, like words or ideas about what to do. This is all coming from your guides. 

Of course there is the writing..you should write down your thoughts or whatever comes to you and draw or doodle or whatever you like. A pad of paper and something to write with is invaluable. You could even write down a question and see if you are able to write down an answer....those are just ways to safely get started with that. 

#7 mudang

mudang

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:01 AM

Divination is easiest, it's weeding out the spirits you aren't trying to talk to that can become an issue. I typically bypass this easily by keeping up a barrier at all times that only allow my gods and spirits that are interested in helping me (for a mutual benefit) through in my home.

If you are able to receive dream messages, I would encourage that the most. If you are not, and you don't feel comfortable using divination, look at any "clue by fours" you may get that week. This means blatant signs that happen at a minimum of three times within a fairly quick succession (usually considered within a standard calendar week). For example, when I first started reaching out to my Father, Sobek-Ra, I received a couple dream messages from him, and started seeing crocodile images and text everywhere even though previously it was rare.

Call me Mivi.

Korean Shaman-Priest (무당)

Schedule 신점 (divination), 기도 (prayerwork), 굿 (grand ceremonies)!

Fundraiser for Temple Room

"Money can move the gods."

#8 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:50 AM

You can also start with your ancestors.

#9 CelticGypsy

CelticGypsy

Crazy NastyAss Honey Badger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:27 AM

I have come to a point at which I feel the next step in my path is communing with the spirit world, whether human, animal, or other. This is something that I'm being drawn to; however, my fears about everything that could go wrong are keeping me from trying anything at all. This is a part of the craft completely new to me, so while I've been reading and gathering information, I'm scared to actually take the next step and enact any of it within my own life.

Any tips or advice on opening the door to these things? I think my biggest concern is that I'll try even the smallest of acts and unintentionally open the floodgates to things I won't be ready to handle or that wish me harm.

I know that there is an expected amount of risk with these kinds of things, and it's something I have to be aware of and accept...but I don't want the unknown and my fears about it to keep me from ever moving forward or challenging myself.

Sorry to ramble...any thoughts?

Hello,

My best advise to you is to start with the plant kingdom.  From my experience, they are allies and quite eager to communicate.  They are willing to give up their  properties............ ( intelligence ) to assist the Witch with One's  intentions and needs.  It is the planting season,  the Witch benefits from the grounding to Earth as well.

Regards,

Gypsy

Edited by CelticGypsy, 12 May 2016 - 01:29 AM.

" The last thing you wanted a Witch to do is get bored and start making her own amusements, because Witches sometimes have erratically famous ideas about what was amusing "

Terry Pratchett Legends 1 

#10 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:50 AM

Can you nail down what your top fears are?

Of course, you may not want to share that answer- which is fine.  However, I find that in ANY situation where a nebulous sense of fear or anxiety is crippling me from how I want to be or what I want to do- the first step is to rip it out of the ether and pin down what exactly the fear or fears ARE.  

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#11 sagemoonmama

sagemoonmama

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:31 AM

Can you nail down what your top fears are?
Of course, you may not want to share that answer- which is fine. However, I find that in ANY situation where a nebulous sense of fear or anxiety is crippling me from how I want to be or what I want to do- the first step is to rip it out of the ether and pin down what exactly the fear or fears ARE.

I'm gonna say the stupid thing and hopefully not get too much heat for it...I'm afraid that these spirits, if contacted, will trick me or be dishonest or even try to harm me or my home in some way that I won't be able to prevent or fix. My husband is supportive of my path, but is a devout Christian himself, and thinks that no good can ever come of trying to commune with the other side. He's watched one too many horror movies and thinks that if I start reaching out, the only thing I'll find is some boogeyman or evil demon. And I guess there's a small part of me that is hesitating because I don't want to open the door and find out he's right. But I also don't agree at all that the spirit world is just sitting around waiting to make victims of us. So I'm torn, and apprehensive.

#12 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:59 AM

Listen to your intuition - perhaps you aren't ready after all. Maybe it's not the right time to "feel the fear and do it anyway" or whatever that phrase is. 

You could make a decision to  investigate the plant kingdom for example, as Celtic Gypsy suggests.... just engaging with seeds/plant growing... or something else that piques your interest, in a calm and reflective way and see what happens. Then you might find yourself in a place where you can do what Oroboros suggests and nail your fears. Or you may find they have dissipated back into the ether! But don't put yourself under pressure.

Edited by Mistflower, 12 May 2016 - 12:00 PM.

Quick, said the bird, find them, find them,
Round the corner. Through the first gate

The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

#13 sagemoonmama

sagemoonmama

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 12:55 PM

Listen to your intuition - perhaps you aren't ready after all. Maybe it's not the right time to "feel the fear and do it anyway" or whatever that phrase is.

You could make a decision to investigate the plant kingdom for example, as Celtic Gypsy suggests.... just engaging with seeds/plant growing... or something else that piques your interest, in a calm and reflective way and see what happens. Then you might find yourself in a place where you can do what Oroboros suggests and nail your fears. Or you may find they have dissipated back into the ether! But don't put yourself under pressure.

Thank you! I do tend to push myself, and subscribe to the belief that if you're comfortable, you're not growing...but I don't want to jump into anything just because I'm stubborn either. I do love working with plants and it's something I'd like to expand on, so it would be a good place to start.

#14 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:06 PM

First and probably foremost, my style in this area is the same as the approach I use to taking walks (and not one I would suggest).  I like to take walks at night, late, by myself.  I'm 5'3" female.  So, I have my mace, and usually a hidden knife, and a bit of a napoleon complex.  I am completely relaxed and okay with the knowledge that some day I may get my ass kicked, but I will at least do some serious damage on the way down- AND I will have enjoyed my walks in the mean time!:)  THIS is NOT a "safe" approach:), and as I have so far been fortunate in my foolishness I do not have any experience with having to handle a real attack (not in the spirit world or on my walks at least.)    SO- I will NOT be giving advice on how or when to approach this matter:).

That said, there are folks on here who DO have significant experience in dealing with negative spirits.  I would like to suggest you start with this thread AND that you do not DO anything until you feel confident.   http://www.tradition...hl=+the +unseen

Im not sure if it is that fear draws negative spirits, or if it makes the individual more vulnerable, or if the practitioner who feels fear is being warned by their intuition that they are not ready or adequately prepared.  Whatever the case may be, I think people who attempt contact with the level of fear you are describing are far more likely to encounter a problem than those who do not feel that way.

As for the specifics of your fear- obviously it is not a nebulous anxiety issue with you- as you have stated your concerns quite clearly.  Moreover, in my admittedly limited experience in the matter- what you have stated sounds like about as legitimate reasons as there are to be fearful.  Spirits lie. "It is known"- to quote "Game of Thrones:).  That is a very real issue.  So is the possibility of opening a door you cannot close or making "friends" with something you cannot yet control.  Definitely NOT STUPID.

You might want to try to flesh out how much is Christian influence on the situation though.  I myself, and many others here come from a Christian background.  It takes a while to recover.  I didn't catch if this is just your husbands concerns or if it is also YOUR religious background.   After a person has been infused since childhood with the idea that certain activities can lead to swift and merciless punishment OR a least "deserved" repercussions- it is a bit hard to just shake clear of those feelings and thoughts.  Moreover, Christian children are DRILLED with the concept that there is only ONE unseen being that it is okay to talk to.  Everything else that is real is really evil- they tell you.  Not naturally and beautifully dark- like lions are naturally brutal killers, but also beautiful.  Still, they are dangerous and very few people can work safely with very few lions.  That is true.  But, the Christian influence says, you are either for "God" or against "Him".  Catholicism allows prayers to saints and such- but only the church approved beings.  Every other branch of christianity claims communication with ANYTHING is evil, and that anything that communicates with you ONLY EVER MEANS TO DO YOU AND YOURS HARM.  That is some pretty scary shit to try to overcome.  

#15 sagemoonmama

sagemoonmama

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 01:49 PM

First and probably foremost, my style in this area is the same as the approach I use to taking walks (and not one I would suggest). I like to take walks at night, late, by myself. I'm 5'3" female. So, I have my mace, and usually a hidden knife, and a bit of a napoleon complex. I am completely relaxed and okay with the knowledge that some day I may get my ass kicked, but I will at least do some serious damage on the way down- AND I will have enjoyed my walks in the mean time!:) THIS is NOT a "safe" approach:), and as I have so far been fortunate in my foolishness I do not have any experience with having to handle a real attack (not in the spirit world or on my walks at least.) SO- I will NOT be giving advice on how or when to approach this matter:).

That said, there are folks on here who DO have significant experience in dealing with negative spirits. I would like to suggest you start with this thread AND that you do not DO anything until you feel confident. http://www.tradition...hl=+the +unseen

Im not sure if it is that fear draws negative spirits, or if it makes the individual more vulnerable, or if the practitioner who feels fear is being warned by their intuition that they are not ready or adequately prepared. Whatever the case may be, I think people who attempt contact with the level of fear you are describing are far more likely to encounter a problem than those who do not feel that way.

As for the specifics of your fear- obviously it is not a nebulous anxiety issue with you- as you have stated your concerns quite clearly. Moreover, in my admittedly limited experience in the matter- what you have stated sounds like about as legitimate reasons as there are to be fearful. Spirits lie. "It is known"- to quote "Game of Thrones:). That is a very real issue. So is the possibility of opening a door you cannot close or making "friends" with something you cannot yet control. Definitely NOT STUPID.

You might want to try to flesh out how much is Christian influence on the situation though. I myself, and many others here come from a Christian background. It takes a while to recover. I didn't catch if this is just your husbands concerns or if it is also YOUR religious background. After a person has been infused since childhood with the idea that certain activities can lead to swift and merciless punishment OR a least "deserved" repercussions- it is a bit hard to just shake clear of those feelings and thoughts. Moreover, Christian children are DRILLED with the concept that there is only ONE unseen being that it is okay to talk to. Everything else that is real is really evil- they tell you. Not naturally and beautifully dark- like lions are naturally brutal killers, but also beautiful. Still, they are dangerous and very few people can work safely with very few lions. That is true. But, the Christian influence says, you are either for "God" or against "Him". Catholicism allows prayers to saints and such- but only the church approved beings. Every other branch of christianity claims communication with ANYTHING is evil, and that anything that communicates with you ONLY EVER MEANS TO DO YOU AND YOURS HARM. That is some pretty scary shit to try to overcome.

This was so helpful and accurate - thank you! Admittedly, I was raised Catholic, and though I no longer subscribe to any Christian belief system, it IS difficult to gain confidence in my sureness that things I've been told my entire life growing up are not true or accurate any longer. I do think that's a huge part of it that I am working to overcome.

That being said, I am definitely going to read the thread you suggested and not start anything until I feel more sure of myself. I also think I will start with building a stronger connection with my own ancestors first. Having them on my side will make me feel better about reaching out to anything else when the time comes.

#16 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:11 PM

It is no weakness on your part- you were brainwashed. Any child growing up in the average Fundy Christian church has had fear and guilt ingrained in their formative years. Like myself, you apparently had the mental fortitude to start to QUESTION some of it from an early age. That does not mean the core beliefs are not deeply ingrained in our psyche. Even when sugar coated in Jesus' message of peace and love - the CHURCH still makes sure to get their "If - Then" fear tactics in the message. This is not something easily shaken.
Lol- sometimes I think there should be a support group thread for this :).

Edited by Oroboros, 12 May 2016 - 02:13 PM.

#17 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:12 PM

I couldn't agree more with that support group lol

#18 sagemoonmama

sagemoonmama

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

So thank you again for the replies and your thoughts. I've made out the upper corner of my altar for my ancestors, specifically my paternal grandfather, right now. I offered him coffee and some incense this morning, and I think strengthening my connection with him will be a good place for me to start getting a bit deeper into things 😊

#19 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:19 PM

That's a good start. Keep up the good work.

#20 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:07 PM

I've made out the upper corner of my altar for my ancestors, specifically my paternal grandfather, right now. I offered him coffee and some incense this morning, and I think strengthening my connection with him will be a good place for me to start getting a bit deeper into things

I've always worked with ancestors, and still have never worked with strange spirits.  It doesn't interest me, maybe it never will.  But that's just me. 

Work on the ancestors.  They should protect and guide you.

Let us know what happens x

Be nice or go away!