34 replies to this topic

#21 GhostAndTheWolf

GhostAndTheWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 06:50 PM

great information here!

I am going to start my path on learning about runes and how to use them.

but my question to all of you on here if I may is that I don't really have the cash to go into a decent quality set so I was thinking about making my own from deer and elk antlers and just engraving the runes into each slice of antler but I wasn't sure if this was appropriate beings that im just learning this craft? 

You're all a bunch of fuckin assholes, ya know why? you don't have the guts to be what you wanna be.

You need people like me, you need people like me so you can point your fuckin fingers.

and say " That's the bad guy"

So say goodnight to the bad guy!

#22 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:11 PM

great information here!

but my question to all of you on here if I may is that I don't really have the cash to go into a decent quality set so I was thinking about making my own from deer and elk antlers and just engraving the runes into each slice of antler but I wasn't sure if this was appropriate beings that im just learning this craft?

I think you will have a very special bond with your Runes if you make them yourself. With each one you carve, learn it's meaning and meditate on it while carving.

#23 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 07:24 PM

great information here!

Definitely make a set. Antler would be really nice. Making them is a chance to study them and remember them. 

Edited by Holdasown, 20 September 2018 - 05:28 PM.

#24 JessicaB

JessicaB

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:21 PM

I agree with what Onyx and Holdasown have said. And think how much more intrinsic value they will have than anything you could buy! There is no threshold of experience for making something like runes— these symbols, while rich in symbolism and depth that you could plumb for a lifetime, are simple. They connect us to our ancestors and to our own unconscious. Making them seems very natural. Go for it!

#25 GhostAndTheWolf

GhostAndTheWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:22 PM

cool thanks

You're all a bunch of fuckin assholes, ya know why? you don't have the guts to be what you wanna be.

You need people like me, you need people like me so you can point your fuckin fingers.

#26 GhostAndTheWolf

GhostAndTheWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 08:26 PM

I've always had a huge fascination with all things Scandinavian, but I recently did the DNA deal with Ancestry and I got 18% Scandinavian/Icelandic and the rest was Irish and then Scotch.

so I am very interested in getting more into the Norse beliefs.

#27 ReleaseTheBats

ReleaseTheBats

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:23 AM

I've always had a huge fascination with all things Scandinavian, but I recently did the DNA deal with Ancestry and I got 18% Scandinavian/Icelandic and the rest was Irish and then Scotch.

so I am very interested in getting more into the Norse beliefs.

DNA Tests are so fascinating but the data is very complex at the heart of it.
Do you know much about your Scandinavian heritage?
I've managed to track down mine and my fathers to (most likely) a set of my 3/4 G grandparents on his mom's side from Cumbria and Northamptonshire in England.
From what i've read it was a huge hub for west Norwegian vikings.

“A witch ought never to be frightened in the darkest forest, Granny Weatherwax had once told her, because she should be sure in her soul that the most terrifying thing in the forest was her.”

― Terry Pratchett

#28 GhostAndTheWolf

GhostAndTheWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:13 PM

yeah its pretty amazing stuff and yeah its not 100% results but its a fair idea.

my line goes to Iceland.

and the rest is Belfast as I have cousins that live there that never moved away, and then some in Galway.

I was also wondering if any of you have used this website as a reference at all www.thewickedgriffin.com ?

#29 GhostAndTheWolf

GhostAndTheWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:33 PM

was curious what the thoughts are on the "unknown rune" I read a few different opinions from other folks and some use it and others don't since it was added later on?

#30 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:04 PM

was curious what the thoughts are on the "unknown rune" I read a few different opinions from other folks and some use it and others don't since it was added later on?

Far as I can tell, there's no basis for it historically. Runes were originally an alphabet used for writing. Why would there be a blank one?

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#31 Holdasown

Holdasown

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:33 AM

I don't have one or use one in my set

#32 GhostAndTheWolf

GhostAndTheWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:57 PM

Okay yeah I was wondering if that’s what y’all would say, I’m in aggreance.
My nephew is teaching me what he knows about it, he knows I’m apart of this forum and was also curious to know what y’all thought about that.

#33 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:32 PM

I believe it has no basis in history, The weird, think it is called.

#34 Onyx

Onyx

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 09:04 PM

Sorry that should have been "The Wyrd"

#35 GhostAndTheWolf

GhostAndTheWolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 07:36 PM

no worries.

so going into this even more whats the thoughts about choosing to learn the younger VS the elder?

I have been working on the elder as I was told that the younger is newer and possibly made up and not so true to its form BUT I was at a Wardruna concert in boulder last week and Einar Selvik did a little speaking about runes and he said the complete opposite.

any thoughts on this?