• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 leucoleo

leucoleo

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:32 AM

So, as I posted in my other thread, I do not have very much experience with spirits; but I'm learning to sort of flex my muscles (which admittedly need some work), but I guess just overall learning more about the spirit world and the connections that we have with it, not really doing anything involving magic or evoking anything. 

Until I realized something: I did a lot of unprotected magic when I was younger. Because that door was slammed shut, I didn't notice it, but they are everywhere in this house, and I can't get them out. The activity has bled into my room (I tried burning a smudge stick and delivering my intent for them to leave), and said smudge stick actually caught fire and scared the hell out of me. My room has become the most active (I can feel something watching me, things fall, my TV switches on and off, stuff is missing, fuses will blow when barely anything is on, etc. etc.). In the past (being young and stupid) I used to put a salt-water mix around the house for "good measure", but I feel like I've gone and pissed something off, and it called some friends over. The fact that it bled into my room scares me, because now the entire house is compromised. Emotions and anxiety are running rampant throughout everyone in the house, and the energy is very chaotic. 

I've just started learning about this whole new way of working with them, but whatever/whoever is here is pissed off, and now they're pissing me off. I have shit to do, I've got jobs to work, places to go, and I can't have them trying to unravel my life. Frankly I want to punch them in the face. 

How would I go about taking care of this? Can I do this alone or do I need to find some help? 

All is full of love, 

You'll be taken care of;

All is full of love, 

It's all around you.

#2 ErinnAinsley

ErinnAinsley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:01 AM

Are we talking like explosive/the whole smudge stick just had a poof moment? After it was already just smouldering?
Or while trying to light? Cuz that can happen easy, if the flame is too intense or its left on it a bit too long.
Not that isolating that one incident is going to negate the rest of the trouble or anything but I wouldn't want you to give up on the use of the smudge right off the bat is all...
I don't know about the salt... I've understood it to be protective/repellant of some types of spirits but better to be used after you've got rid of the unwanted, to protect from its return, seal the home as a safe-zone. . It might have altered their coming and going ability, maybe that's why they're pissed. Perhaps trapped in? I don't know if it works that way. Some spirits are unaffected by salt from what I've been told.

Someone on a thread here I had read before (I can't recall if new or old, maybe you already saw it) suggested placing the sage in water or alcohol and into a spray bottle, let it steep a bit and use it as a spray... Could be a start if using the flame is going to be troublesome.
Maybe that will let you build up something of a "psychic immune system" in the environment first, and then you could safely burn it (just not around that alcohol or you'll have an even bigger fire!)

I'm not terribly experienced with this but those are the thoughts that came up, maybe something useful in there.
I have known people to have a spirit problem that was too stubborn for cleansing and banishing rituals they knew, to be effective and they did have to find help from another practitioner or practitioners.

#3 leucoleo

leucoleo

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:20 AM

Are we talking like explosive/the whole smudge stick just had a poof moment? After it was already just smouldering?
Or while trying to light? Cuz that can happen easy, if the flame is too intense or its left on it a bit too long.
Not that isolating that one incident is going to negate the rest of the trouble or anything but I wouldn't want you to give up on the use of the smudge right off the bat is all...
I don't know about the salt... I've understood it to be protective/repellant of some types of spirits but better to be used after you've got rid of the unwanted, to protect from its return, seal the home as a safe-zone. . It might have altered their coming and going ability, maybe that's why they're pissed. Perhaps trapped in? I don't know if it works that way. Some spirits are unaffected by salt from what I've been told.

Someone on a thread here I had read before (I can't recall if new or old, maybe you already saw it) suggested placing the sage in water or alcohol and into a spray bottle, let it steep a bit and use it as a spray... Could be a start if using the flame is going to be troublesome.
Maybe that will let you build up something of a "psychic immune system" in the environment first, and then you could safely burn it (just not around that alcohol or you'll have an even bigger fire!)

I'm not terribly experienced with this but those are the thoughts that came up, maybe something useful in there.
I have known people to have a spirit problem that was too stubborn for cleansing and banishing rituals they knew, to be effective and they did have to find help from another practitioner or practitioners.

It had a poof moment after I had finished a couple rooms, and I was just like, oh god what did I just do, but that could be purely coincidental as well. I've still never seen any of my smudge sticks do that, but I'm trying not to be creeped out too much lol

Back in the day, I tried to make a seal, but I don't know if I did it correctly, so I may have trapped someone in. The thing is, I wouldn't have any idea on how to get them out because, as I said I'm an idiot, and in the little ritual I performed it could only be broken with my death (or something along those lines because I was trying to be stoic in front of my friend), but if they are stuck, I would really like them to just be able to go. 

Thank you for replying, though. My only fear is if I *did* happen to seal my property, what happens if I undo the seal? I don't want it to be like bursting a dam, and then I end up flooded with a bunch of nasty juju. 

Edited by leucoleo, 23 April 2016 - 01:21 AM.

All is full of love, 

You'll be taken care of;

All is full of love, 

It's all around you.

#4 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:47 AM

Maybe you can get to know a neutral nature spirit in your area? When I need help getting things out that are particularly stubborn, the spirits in my backyard are usually happy to help me draw them out one at a time and anchor them until I can call on the Divine to kick them out. From what I can tell, they are just as unhappy about situations like yours as you are; you have the option of leaving and they don't.

#5 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:50 AM

People will tell you different things, but you have to call on your highest guidance. Everybody has that but the way we do things is different.

I would say to clean your room. I am not talking about sage, or smudging or salt. But seriously clean your room. I don't know if you are messy or tidy but getting rid of clutter and making sure that everything is in order will probably solve the problem. The energy needs to flow so pathways need to be clear, you can't have furniture blocking the door or walking areas.

Maybe you need to rearrange the furniture. 

Get rid of things that no longer serve you. You  don't need to throw things away that you want to keep, but you can box things up that are not needed. The energy in your space has to be right.

If you are out in public mixing with people then you will bring little bits of their energy home with you. Taking a shower cleanses your aura. 

I get the feeling they are just trying to get your attention. They might be mischief makers but they are not there to bother you for no reason. 

Edited by Belle, 23 April 2016 - 05:06 AM.

#6 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:21 PM

Push it out from the heart of the house then seal it off. Do a reading to find out why its there, what its eating. Be careful, spirits lie

RSKHFMY

#7 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:31 PM

Yes they lie, and manipulate.....

#8 Michele

Michele

The Exiled Goddess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,033 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 03:24 AM

What do you have to back you up? Who is on your side? Who stands with you in a fight? Who fights for you? If you make a threat can you back it up?

To me this goes back to ancestors... develop your relationships with your family first (to me) so you have backup, you have eyes and ears. And don't pull your ancestors into a mess but I would ask them for guidance.

Not sure why you are against salted water.... I have found it can work, as can other herbs. But salt is very protective. I don't know that tv flashing on and off or things falling is a sign of anger, it could just be how the energy manifests in this plane. Something lives in my house that vibrates the bed and knocks books over. It's never bothered me  so I don't bother it. I just pick up the books and put them back, lol. Sometimes if the bed jumps too much I just say "stop - I'm trying to sleep" lol. Make sure it really is a nasty before you make an enemy of it. For me I've found that even things that are not "bad" can make me feel jumpy if I'm not used to their energy.

But if you do have something in the house, make sure you stipulate any communication on the ancestor alter is for ancestors only and also which ones. Trapping something in does happen, so you could always try a re-do but leave a window open and work towards that so it has a way to get out. But do make sure it's an enemy first before you make it homeless. Make friends with people you can trust and who can see what you can't - your ancestors.

My 2 cents worth, lol :-)

M

#9 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 06:57 PM

I agree with Belle and Michele. You can bring something from outside of your home in at any moment just from being around other people. If you don't do it now, you might want to consider carrying something with you for protection as well. Cleaning, as Belle mentioned is also important. Clutter can trap negative energy in your house as well.

As Michele stated, the spirit may not be an enemy but trying to get your attention. I would definitely work on getting some protection in place and as other stated, start communicating with your ancestors. I'm tempted to ask if you've tried contacting the spirit in your home but not sure if that would be good to do since you don't have any protection.

#10 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:08 PM

This isn't guidance from me, just an esoteric perspective to consider.  And yes, I'm feeling preachy today. :P

Why is there such a push to immediately banish anything from outside our comfort zone before asking what it wants?  We don't get strong as witches, people, and a species by constantly controlling everything and avoiding discomfort.  We have to get a little dirty sometimes and look at the things we don't want to in order to move on and up.

But that does not mean that we have to be victimized, either.  This is OUR domain.  We have the right and ability to command whatever is in our home to behave...if they want to stay and have something beneficial to offer.

The challenge for us, as witches, is to discern when getting dirty pays off for us in the end, whatever that payoff may be that we seek.

(Dismounting soapbox now...)

#11 Ravenshaw

Ravenshaw

Life is good

• Moderators
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:24 PM

IS - this is a very good point. A huge part of necromancy's practice is cutting deals with spirits, and seeing if it's possible to work with them. However, if someone is a new practitioner, I wouldn't recommend it with something that's already coming off hostile, and especially not before forming a good relationship with protective spirits like ancestors and guides. I got into a LOT of shit by messing with spirits before getting to know who was on my side first. Having good relations on the other side helps an awful lot in these situations, even if it's just for a second opinion on who to trust.

Edited by Ravenshaw, 25 April 2016 - 12:52 AM.

RSKHFMY

#12 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:55 PM

Fair enough.  Some have neatly structured Paths, whereas others are taught by sink-or-swim.  Here's an allegory addressing the issue of new practitioners, inexperience, protecting oneself, the power of choice, and the Things That Go Bump...

A dog shows up in front of your home.  It's scared (which manifests either as aggression or trembling fear) and acts out as you try to approach it.  There's a brief period of adjustment as you exchange body language that says "You're a different species and I don't know what you're doing here".  You finally approach the growling (or simpering) mongrel and discover that it doesn't have tags.  No idea what to call it, who the owner is, what kind of home it comes from, and where to return it.  You can choose to shoo it away from your property, call the local animal shelter to collect it, or (if you feel compelled and/or are curious enough) you can let into your life

If you choose to let it into your life but have never been around dogs, you won't know if you should invite it in your house or not, because you don't know how to "read" it.  Keeping it in the backyard until circumstances change is, indeed, the safest choice.  It also allows you to evaluate the dog's behavior: is its presence in your life is a lesson, an opportunity, or a reward?  You won't know unless you take the time to get to know it.  The less safe choice comes with negative AND positive consequences: allowing it into your home.  It's your decision as master/mistress of the house to determine if that's a risk worth taking.  You could end up with a great family pet, or a nightmare that bites everyone and pees all over the carpet, or an exceptional guard dog.

But if you've been around enough dogs for long enough, you just corral the sucker by any means necessary.  After you do your best to decide what its purpose is in your life, you will probably choose to take care of it until the next chapter of the relationship with the dog- however transient or permanent that may be.

Edited by ImamSua, 24 April 2016 - 09:59 PM.

#13 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:06 PM

@Imamsua..  That is a good allegory, but you also have to do the responsible thing. If you shoo the dog away, it might get hurt, so you have a moral responsibility make sure the animal is safe.  If I felt the animal was possibly dangerous then I would feel responsible for protecting the child who might be walking home from school. Somebody might not care what the consequences are for the animal or the child, but I do.  

Spirits can be dangerous, and it is unwise to attempt to communicate with a spirit that you don't know unless you have protection. Obviously, if you are clueless then you don't know how to protect yourself. In my world a little sage and salt is a bandaid. Problems need to be dealt with, not shoved into the closet.

I had to learn the hard way, not because I wasn't protected but it was for educational purposes. Experience is the best teacher. How could I know how the problems can manifest or how to fix them without being thrown to the wolves, and having to fix the problems again and again until they were fixed right. 

Often the spirits come poking at you, because they want you to do something. They will provoke the person into stepping forward and dealing with the problem for their own growth. Either that, or to scare them away, so they will learn not to play with matches. 

#14 Aronses

Aronses

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:16 AM

I agree with Imam. Put up some protection for yourself, your family, and your place, then have a chat with it. If it's not willing to chat, I find threats work well. If it scares you don't let it know that, show it that you are willing to hurt it, even if you don't know how to. If you really need it out of your house you need to show who's boss.and just shout threats at it until it gets scared and leaves. No one wants to take residence in a place where they constantly get threatened.

#15 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 01:33 AM

Until I realized something: I did a lot of unprotected magic when I was younger. Because that door was slammed shut, I didn't notice it, but they are everywhere in this house, and I can't get them out. The activity has bled into my room (I tried burning a smudge stick and delivering my intent for them to leave), and said smudge stick actually caught fire and scared the hell out of me. My room has become the most active (I can feel something watching me, things fall, my TV switches on and off, stuff is missing, fuses will blow when barely anything is on, etc. etc.). In the past (being young and stupid) I used to put a salt-water mix around the house for "good measure", but I feel like I've gone and pissed something off, and it called some friends over. The fact that it bled into my room scares me, because now the entire house is compromised. Emotions and anxiety are running rampant throughout everyone in the house, and the energy is very chaotic. 

I have a few questions.

1. Was there a purpose to the magic you were doing back then or was it just something "cool" at the time?

2. Do you remember what you called forth or was it just a blanket call to whomever was listening and willing to come forth?

No matter how much we talk about protection (which is very important), you did call these spirits forth. For what? Are they waiting for you to act? Maybe if you think about the original reason behind all this, it will help you figure out your next move.

I've just started learning about this whole new way of working with them, but whatever/whoever is here is pissed off, and now they're pissing me off. I have shit to do, I've got jobs to work, places to go, and I can't have them trying to unravel my life. Frankly I want to punch them in the face. 

Your thinking their pissed off may not be factual. But you are going to have to deal with your emotions because they'll feed off of that.

#16 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:58 PM

@Imamsua..  That is a good allegory, but you also have to do the responsible thing. If you shoo the dog away, it might get hurt, so you have a moral responsibility make sure the animal is safe.  If I felt the animal was possibly dangerous then I would feel responsible for protecting the child who might be walking home from school. Somebody might not care what the consequences are for the animal or the child, but I do.  

---

The definition of "the responsible thing" is completely subjective.  I personally do not subscribe to the concept of "moral obligation", because morals are dictated by society, which is breathtakingly fickle in its perspectives.  We all have free choice whether to help or harm; there is no absolute requirement to assist or protect dogs, children, etc.  I feel that it is up to the individual to determine what they feel is the proper course of action, both in the context of short-term results as well as the long-term impact it will have on their life. (That being said- like you, I have a strong proclivity to help and protect, so your sentiments do strongly resonate with me.)

#17 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:24 PM

IM,  Brava!  :applause:

Beautiful soap-boxing today!

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#18 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 03:15 PM

I agree with a lot of what ImamSua said. I would add on the point of moral obligations that I figure they should be lived up to. However, one should be sure they are their morals. To break from societies morals can be liberating, but to break with ones own morals can be devastating.

As far as the issues at hand, its your house. I figure you should take control of the situation. If I can't keep control of my house then I don't see what makes it mine. If you can't or don't know how, I would get to learning. I think you'll find that as said above you may just have to have words with your guest. At least everyone will know where they stand. But, learn to do it your way. You now what you good at and comfortable with. Look at how to expand that the way you need it to go.

And, if it was me in your boat, I also would not want to forget for a moment that I created the problem not them. To my thinking, really knowing that will ether make someone a lot stronger or a lot weaker depending on what it means to them.

This may have just voiced what was said above, but that's my thoughts.

#19 Roanna

Roanna

She of the spiders and degus...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:07 AM

Some really good responses in this thread - I totally agree with Belle when she talks about a physical cleaning of the room. Too many witches focus solely on the aura of a room and ignore the fact it's covered in crisp packets and needs a jolly good dust!

The only thing I'd add is to set some boundaries. It's a lot easier to find a compromise about living in harmony with a spirit than it is to force an ejection. I'd suggest you state firmly and audibly what is and what is not acceptable to you. Speak up when you see the behaviours you are not willing to tolerate (pestering you at unsocial hours for example) and if your spirit is both benign and relatively sensible chances are it will adhere to your rules rather than risk you moving it on.

Do what you believe to be the right thing and trust yourself.

Witchpathforward My website incorporating "Ask a Witch a Question," my blog and websites of witchy interest.

#20 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:11 PM

absolutely - and dust is actually made up of particles of dead skin so just imagine all the potentially negative energy in that. Once everything is clean and tidy and in place, you have a blank canvas to paint on, so to speak.

Quick, said the bird, find them, find them,
Round the corner. Through the first gate

The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spirits, inundated