• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:16 PM

Ok as promised, although a little late. Here are some photos from the Museum of Witchcraft in Boscastle in Cornwall in the UK. Plenty of more to see but I am not really a "take a photo at every opportunity" person lol.

The only thing that did annoy me about the museum is that it did blend wicca into the museum and had a lot of Crowley memorabilia towards the end.. but as I understand the guy who opened the museum.. Cecil Williamson was a friend of his. I haven't included any photos that I took of that although I did take a couple.. but I will add if requested. So here is some of the stuff on show.

Fuck.

Erm.. before I do this would someone like to tell me how I do it??? I thought it would be the "my media" option but computer says no... its not happening.

Nope copy and paste don't work either.. sorry peeps I am shit at this

#22 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:22 PM

Llyr,

When you click on 'reply', down in the right corner is a button for 'more reply options'. Once you get there, below the box you type in is an 'attach files' function. Use that.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#23 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:02 AM

@ LLyr, trust me, you're not the only one LOL

Be nice or go away!

#24 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:50 PM

The picture of a rams scull was found on an altar on bodmin moor, up until the 1950's, 3 old women used to go up from their village to tidy it up and make sure it was all laid out correctly. The skull and some of the original altar was given to the museum after the women had stopped going up to it... presumed due to old age and not being able to travel up to the moors or even death. It was pretty cool, it had markings drawn onto the skull. They meant nothing to me, maybe someone on here can recognise them??

If you can read the notices explaining what the exhibitions are then please do.. some are fascinating.

The crystals at the end were at a shop in the village. The amethyst is one of only 2 in the world that big.. look at the price tags on them.. the pictures don't do them justice.

In the same shop the guy pulled a pebble out of his pocket about the same size as the palm of a hand. He pressed an LED light on his key ring on the stone and took at away.... the light stayed on the stone for about 2 minutes after he took it away. I shit you not... the pebble absorbed the light. I thought it was fucking incredible myself but it wasn't for sale... he said he might think about selling it for about 5k. I have never seen anything like it personally.

Anyways... hope you enjoy the pics.. feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to answer them, :)

Attached Files

#25 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:52 PM

By the way these photos are the correct way up in my folder so I apologise for the mystery of the 90 degree rotation on some of them!!

#26 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:54 PM

P.S Thanks Mountain Witch for the help in posting the pics :)

#27 Oroboros

Oroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:19 PM

Really enjoyed looking at the pics. I could even read the placards next to a lot of the items- which was cool.

About the Very expensive if for sale at all, glowing stone... Not to be a naysayer- as I was not there and you were. However, if you google stones that glow you will find there are nature made and man made stones that do essentially what you are describing. There are stones that have naturally occurring minerals that fluoresce after light exposure and- this, I'm not sure if I think this is awesome or awesomely tacky: http://www.coregrave...ucts/core-glow/.

You have to admit it would be kind of funny if the guy has a driveway full and brings them to work and "let's one go" for a grand or so every once in a while :).

Edited by Oroboros, 19 May 2016 - 08:24 PM.

...From ev’ry depth of good and ill , The mystery which binds me still...— Poe

#28 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:31 AM

Lol yeah it would. I clicked on the link, I think it's pretty cool. I will say though that although the pebble might contain similar properties to the ones in the link, the pebble itself looked natural. It wasn't reflective like the ones in the link, or white. It looked like any other dark grey pebble you might find on a beach. It looked rounded of as if it had spent many years travelled by the tide. I don't know, I should have taken a photo of it.

#29 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:45 AM

Great pictures, thanks LLyr, even a quick glimpse of you in the mirror!

(I've written down MW's picture posting instructions for MY future reference) 

I am definitely going to visit this place in the cooler months, and maybe check out the pebble man.

Lots to think about :)

Be nice or go away!

#30 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:02 PM

For the first time in a good hand full of years I fell of the mountain this passed week landing squarely in Philly. With a few hours between business and diner reservations and a patient and willing traveling companion I made it to this exhibit. We both found the museum quite enjoyable. It was also a wonderful change to kicking rocks up and down Market or bumming around Independence square...again.

The exhibit was a bit small, but definitely worthwhile to me. Highlights for me were a nice collection of incantation bowls, a Babylonian contract stone which I had never seen in person, and a carved Egyptian tusk bearing a glyph I was looking for. As I said the exhibit was small, so if you go I would allow time to wander the museum as there were plenty of magical and spiritual artifacts peppered into nearly every section.

The museum it's self was nice and peaceful. We used the parking garage right next to it, that was priced on par with the rest of Philly. Which is to say a bit expensive but worth every penny. All said it was a very nice time.

Thank you so much RoseRed for pointing this out.

Edited by PapaGheny, 28 May 2016 - 04:19 PM.

#31 RoseRed

RoseRed

. . . Not a big believer in . . . cowinkydink ;)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 10:42 AM

You're welcome.  I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

#32 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 09:32 PM

Wow thanks for the pics! This kind of stuff is so interesting to me.