• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:20 AM

Hi I am curious if anyone has any recipes or mixes that can be smoked? I am not talking cannabis, and in fact, intoxication is not the goal. I genuinely enjoy the ritual of smoking, and know there are many attributes to be found. Also just an FYI for those new to herbs or the concept, don't go experimenting lightly it can be fatal.

I know this may sound odd, but I have smoked cat nip for anxiety to great success. A light puff or two is all it takes. It dries the throat something terrible, and tastes awful, but does the trick even if a placebo effect. I have tried Calea Z (dream herb) and the like, but did not enjoy the taste at all. I have some natural dried tobacco that I mix with wild mint for a very pleasant smoke. Something I do but not often is smoke very tiny amounts of dried Datura S. flowers, to induce a mild trance state. I have experimented with others, but let me know if anyone here has any suggestions.

Also just want to say, I am not looking for intoxication, and I do prefer something I can grow/forage naturally.

Edited by witchpriest, 06 April 2016 - 01:31 AM.

#2 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:45 AM

Damiana and mugwort are a interesting combination, both in terms of flavor and effect.  Exceptional flying dreams on that blend.  Damiana and wormwood, for me, is a little too intense, and was a one-time experiment that I do not intend to repeat.  I tried smoking catnip: once.  (Never been a tobacco user, and have only been smoking herbs for a couple of years.  I'm a total wuss when it comes to inhaling the harsh stuff.)  I much prefer tea as the delivery method for catnip.  :)

I know you said no cannabis, but a small pinch of blend that is 1/4 sativa strain marijuana with 3/4 damiana is one of the best things I've ever used to communicate with the genius loci: no intoxication required.

#3 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:09 AM

Mountain Rose Herbs has a delicious herbal smoking blend that I enjoy. I believe it's mostly skullcap, fluffy Mullien, damiana, lobelia, marshmallow leaf and uva ursi. When using the mix for ritual purposes, I tend to add a fat pinch of mugwort.

Catnip is one of my favorite herbs to burn as incense along with mint, so perhaps I should try putting it in my pipe too. Getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow so unfortunately it may be a while before I can enjoy a good smoke. Boo...

#4 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:34 PM

My favorite smoking herbs are mapacho and cannabis.  Mapacho is a type of tobacco from the Amazon that grows in the wild without all the addicitives and stuff other tobacco has...  Also a different species of tobacco that is about 10-20 times stronger.  Very powerful in ritual and ceremony.

When I want to add other herbs to either of those two I have a mix I get at a local herb shop which has damiana, mullien, cat nip, colts foot, sage and lavender.  Mixes well with my base herbs.  I have also used rose and mint with my base herbs - they add a nice flavor together....  The rose is flowery and sweet and the mint is cooling and kinda icey....  

#5 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:55 PM

My favorite smoking herbs are mapacho and cannabis.  Mapacho is a type of tobacco from the Amazon that grows in the wild without all the addicitives and stuff other tobacco has...  Also a different species of tobacco that is about 10-20 times stronger.  Very powerful in ritual and ceremony.

When I want to add other herbs to either of those two I have a mix I get at a local herb shop which has damiana, mullien, cat nip, colts foot, sage and lavender.  Mixes well with my base herbs.  I have also used rose and mint with my base herbs - they add a nice flavor together....  The rose is flowery and sweet and the mint is cooling and kinda icey....

Travsha, thanks for telling me about mapacho! I also use cannibis but I know my relation with that well enough. If you have the time please email me with a reliable source online to order mapacho, and tell me anything you can about the spirit of the plant and how to respectfully use it. I would love to learn more! I have always wanted to know more about native Western Hemisphere usage of tobacco as a sacred plant.

#6 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:25 PM

Bewitchingredhead makes some lovely smoke blends that she was kind enough to let me trial, you might send her a message?

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#7 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 05:18 PM

Travsha, thanks for telling me about mapacho! I also use cannibis but I know my relation with that well enough. If you have the time please email me with a reliable source online to order mapacho, and tell me anything you can about the spirit of the plant and how to respectfully use it. I would love to learn more! I have always wanted to know more about native Western Hemisphere usage of tobacco as a sacred plant.

Mapacho is a wonderful plant.  Every tradition I have heard of that had access to tobacco considered tobacco the most sacred of plants, and I can see why.  

There is only one mapacho, so if you find mapacho online (nicotiana rustica is the scientific name) it is the right stuff.  I have never ordered any before - I just buy a big amount whenever I visit Peru (I go every year) and bring that home.  Only mapacho I have ever bought online was in the form of a powdered snuff called rapé.  I got rapé from a store called shamanicsnuff.com (it is good quality).  

Tobacco is very easy to program with intentions.  More so then most plants.  So you can have an intention when you use it - either just think about the intention, or sing, whistle, blow or whisper the intention into the tobacco.  For cleansing or protection you can blow the smoke on yourself or onto others or around a space you want to smudge.  You can also use tobacco as an offering - either leave some or blow some as an offering.  

It is very helpful for healing, protection, magic, cleansing, heart opening, offerings and connecting with other plants or spirits.  When ingested it is also helpful for clearing your thoughts and focusing your mind - helps keep you awake in late night ceremonies.  

Besides smoking and offerings you can make prayer type tobacco pouches, you can use it as a snuff, or you can make tobacco purges.  For snuffing you can do the powdered version called rapé or you can soak the leaves in water and snuff the juice which is called rapote'.  For a tobacco purge you make a water infusion like you would for the rapote' but a little more watery, then you drink it, and after a few minutes you then chug 2 liters of water to induce purging - you can expel bad energies, demons ect this way (as well as physical toxins ect).  

To connect with its spirit you can just work with it and pray with it - it will start connecting with you.  To get a deeper connection you can do a tobacco dieta which would involve doing a daily tobacco purge for a week or longer while only eating a few very plain foods in isolation.....  

#8 Turncoat

Turncoat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 02:34 AM

Thanks for the wonderful information, travsha. I've heard of mapacho mostly through the context of the tobacco's part in Ayahuasca ceremony, and since then I've had a growing interest in getting acquainted with the herb. Two ounces are expected in the mail very soon, and I look forward to incorporating it!

For my own smoking, I really enjoy the hookah and like to make my own shisha. Honey, vegetable glycerine, and some good rolling tobacco with catnip and cloves or spearmint is my favorite, though I really haven't experimented much with various herb flavors. Adding ice cubes or a minty infusion to the water base definitely adds to the experience. 

Tell me strange things.

#9 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 06:11 PM

I used to love hookahs but stopped using them because I didnt like the shisha....  Making your own sounds like a good idea.  

#10 melshuster

melshuster

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 04:48 PM

I am looking on amazon.com and finding mapacho "roll incense" but very little in the way of a smoking tobacco (other than some very expensive cigars).  Can someone tell me the difference between what is sold as smoking tobacco and what is sold as incense?  And where is the best place to buy mapacho for smoking without having to buy something already rolled up into a cigar?

#11 Turncoat

Turncoat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:07 PM

Hey melshuster, I looked into it and I'm pretty sure that those big rolls of "incense" is simply raw mapacho, good for being smoked in a pipe or however else. I'm not sure why they call it incense--might be an Amazon listing thing. Mapacho is typically sold all bound up in logs, but at http://www.ayahuascashop.co.uk you can get it loose if you order small quantities.

Tell me strange things.

#12 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:27 PM

Thanks travsha, wonderful info! in your debt!

#13 RainbowPrism

RainbowPrism

• Seekers
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:35 PM

I started smoking Kinnikinnik after I got tired of the strong, pungent taste of tobacco. I smoke a mixture of rose, mugwort, raspberry leaf, safflower, and mullein for personal enjoyment but mostly in ritual and meditation. It has a strong but pleasant taste and I truly believe it is naturally calming and helps elevate oneself.  

#14 Deawic

Deawic

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 01:44 AM

iamshaman.com has  a few burning blends that are pretty nice, though the site takes a bit of navigating its well worth the time.

#15 Yex

Yex

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

Since this topic has been revived, I'll weigh in: I've smoked numerous different plants over the years. Few blends, though, save for various things mixed with cannabis, as I was a daily cannabis smoker for some time. I no longer smoke cannabis, but smoke tobacco - just "regular" nicotiana tobacum, not the n. rustica that's found in mapacho , though I have smoked that, too, in the past (when in Peru, in and out of Ayahuasca ceremonies, and afterwards when I brought some back). I should note that I exclusively smoke brands of cigarettes that don't add other chemicals to their tobacco, as most commercial cigarette brands do. In the United States, the only brands I know of that are without additives are Dunhills (my preferred brand), American Spirits, and Nat Shermans. Having done this for so long, on the rare occasion that I've smoked, say, a Camel or Marlboro or something, it makes me very sick - headache, nausea, and after one cigarette my lungs feel like I've smoked a whole pack in one sitting. So I stick to natural stuff. Options might be better if you buy loose tobacco, but I've never been good at rolling. For a while I smoked hand-picked wild tobacco out of a pipe, but my source for that dried up pretty quickly. At any rate, even though I "just" smoke cigarettes, and even though I definitely am physically addicted to nicotine, and even though there are definitelyNow major physical consequences to regularly smoking tobacco, I do try as much as possible to treat it as the sacred substance that it is, and definitely use it magically and medicinally. As noted above, it's definitely a plant that adapts to and amplifies whatever your intentions are as you smoke it, for better or worse.

Musings about tobacco aside, as I've said, there are many other plants that I've smoked. It's been some time since I've smoked them, and at the time that I did so, it was alongside a regular cannabis habit, so even if I wasn't smoking it in a blend with cannabis, it was often difficult to distinguish all of the individual effects of the respective herbs (read: I was constantly stoned in those days). Therefore, I apologize if I'm not able to give more than a laundry list of things that I've smoked, but even that might be useful to some, so here goes. Off the top of my head, I've smoked damiana, mugwort, wormwood, hops, lavender, rose, sage (Salvia officinalis), Calea zacatechichi, Blue Lily of the Nile (Nymphea caerulea), blue lotus (Nelumbo nucifera)... as well as others, that's about all I can think of for now. And now a very brief synopsis: damiana was nice, kind of like a weird counterpoint to cannabis that at the same time wasn't like cannabis at all, and a great aphrodisiac. Mugwort is a personal favorite, but it's also a plant I work with in general, and now i consume it in ways other than smoking it for the most part. Wormwood for some reason didn't resonate with me as well as mugwort, even though other people say it's stronger, idk. Hops did absolutely nothing for me. Lavender, rose, and sage I used mostly to blend with cannabis, as on their own I just felt like there were better ways to contact those plants than by smoking them, but they'll definitely mellow out a smoking blend. Blue Lily of the Nile did nothing for me but tasted nice. Blue Lotus was amazing - so incredibly relaxing, but so clearheaded. (Yet Blue Lily and Blue Lotus share a lot of the same chemicals?) 

All of that is a horrendous glossing over of plants that are far more nuanced and beautiful than that to which this post could ever do adequate justice. I've smoked other things, too (frankincense?!?) but I'll let this post serve as a starting point to anyone who stumbles upon this thread and wants more information. 

Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
But the heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

#16 MuireAnne

MuireAnne

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:50 PM

I have a blend that I make from mullein, damiana, chamomile flower, passion flower and catnip. It's really nice before bed after a stressful day...always helps me sleep deeply and livens up my dreams a little too! I haven't used it as an entheogenic type thing. I am considering trying to get hold of some mugwort to toss in there with it and see how that goes...
True magic is neither bad nor good. It is both, because nature is both; loving and cruel all at the same time. The only good or bad is in the heart of the witch. Life keeps a balance on its own. - Lirio