• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:07 AM

I used the search function but couldn't find anything exactly like this, so here goes. When I started the forum here, I wanted to get better at scrying. Since then it has become one of my strongest points in the craft. So I pose the question, if you enjoy scrying or have an innate skill with it, what methods do you like/use the most?

For me, I have two black mirrors, both just painted frames made from a craft store run. I use these for more formal rituals, one smaller for day, and one larger for night. I use an obsidian sphere for general divination. I have tried crystal balls and never had much luck. I also carry around three pocket stones for scrying. One is a polished piece of hematite, a small piece of quartz with some lovely imperfections (it is clear, but the fissures on the inside trigger more visuals for me than a clear ball), and a unknown black stone polished very well. In addition I always carry a silver Ukrainian coin. I use it to sit on sunny days, and reflect the sun. I don't look at it directly, but rotate it back and forth to catch glimmers of light in a rhythmic pattern in my peripheral vision, I guess it is like a low tech strobe light haha. I am branching in to using natural bodies of water. A good standby is a black cup of coffee, as I am always drinking it anyways. I have tried the computer screen/tv thing, but it feels different to me. In my practice I use the lowest tech possible and simplest ingredients. I know a lot of people are very successful 21st century witches, just not my cup of tea.

Anyways, looking forward to hearing from others about their favorite methods and pieces!

#2 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:51 AM

I don't know. I have looked into a crystal ball but never have seen an image in the ball itself. I do get very detailed images in my mind. There is a place inside where I look.

I followed all the rules and looked inside the ball but nothing ever was seen in the ball itself, However if I merely glanced at the ball from across the room, it would trigger an image or a scene.

I am more of an inside seer, which I understood scrying to be a projection of. 

I think we all have our own symbolic language. Usually the images show me something that I understand, or will in time. 

I never see scenes in a realistic way, it's always kind of like 3-D animation...

#3 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:06 AM

I've been trying to learn how to scry... do you have any tips for a beginner? I'd really like to solidify the things I see in my dreams sometimes (that I never remember until they happen), and I'd like some more useful information than "there will be a moment in time when you move like x in y room while having z conversation with w person".

#4 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:07 AM

I always end up unintentionally scrying images from the popcorn-textured ceilings in my apartment. Especially when drunk or under other influences...

You laugh, but it works! And the messages also have significance.

I love reading tea leaves and smoke. I have a scrying mirror but I have rarely taken it out since the first night I used it. That was actually one of my first decisive steps on the path of witchcraft. It was an eerie experience and maybe I wasn't ready for it at the time. Perhaps I should revisit it soon.

#5 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:07 AM

I use the clouds, the cream in my coffee, and with my eyes shut which means looking further back into the darkness than I do when I just have my eyes shut "normally."

Quick, said the bird, find them, find them,
Round the corner. Through the first gate

The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot

#6 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 01:38 PM

I first attempted scrying seriously with a black mirror that I made with simple black card in a picture frame. I tried it with 2 candles one either side of the room with the lights off and meditated for about 30 minutes allowing my spirit to roam free in "my place". I had my eyes closed the whole time and then shifted my place and spirit into the mirror. I didn't like what I saw and didn't bother with it for a long time.. now I know it was a reflection of my inner demons at the time. Scared the shit out of me though.

Obviously there are many different forms of scrying but it can be a very emotional and sometimes even traumatic experience and you have to be willing to face that if you are going to take it seriously.

#7 melshuster

melshuster

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:16 PM

I have tried several methods. For me, the most effective scrying technique is to go into a light-proof room and stare wide eyed into the darkness.  This eliminates all outside distractions to which I am seriously prone.....

#8 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:24 PM

This is somewhat embarrassing.

For the past year, I've been using my cat's eyes almost exclusively for scrying.  Cat lays on my chest, looks down into my eyes, pupils dilate slightly, and I do my thing.

Then I saw the exact same technique in the film 'Constantine' a few weeks ago.

:brickwall:

#9 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for the advice guys! I have to work on my meditation some more; I can only seem to get super into it with standing meditation techniques I learned from practicing tai chi.

#10 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:51 AM

ImamSua, doesn't Constantine use the cats eyes to get in hell?

Anyone else here scry on the images you see in the blood flow of your eyelids when your eyes are closed? Like the popcorn ceilings, it's never something I set out with an intention to do, but occasionally when I'm meditating,an image vividly forms from the blobs of color.

#11 Solanaceae

Solanaceae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:18 AM

You know RG, I used to do that eye thing all the time when I was a kid. Before I even knew what I was or that it was different. Weird, I also remember seeing things in the grain on the wood paneling    ( 70's style lol ) on our walls too. Thanks for bringing up the memories.

Some are born to sweet delight,

Some are born to endless night.

(Fragments from "Auguries of Innocence") William Blake

#12 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 03:46 AM

I used to do that too, RG! I would stare at the wallpaper and move my eyes around until it "popped" and then try to jump through to "the other side". Not exactly scrying, actually I'm not sure what I was doing. Trying to jump to the in-between place, lol.

I scry mostly in a bowl with a candle set back from it in the wee hours of the morning. I've just started doing it so I've mostly seen the white mist upon the water, and once or twice black shapes, but nothing substantial yet.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#13 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:17 AM

Well that reminds me, when I was very young I used to clamber into my parents' bed with them early in the morning. I used to lie there and see things in the wallpaper while they were still sleeping. It used to move around a lot.

#14 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:42 AM

Mainly water but if I stare at anything for too long I end up scrying.

#15 Mistflower

Mistflower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:14 PM

ImamSua, doesn't Constantine use the cats eyes to get in hell?

Anyone else here scry on the images you see in the blood flow of your eyelids when your eyes are closed? Like the popcorn ceilings, it's never something I set out with an intention to do, but occasionally when I'm meditating,an image vividly forms from the blobs of color.

------------------

Yes RG I think that's what I do.But then I go behind the red outlines to where it is darker and that's when the white silhouettes start moving across.

#16 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:18 PM

I've been trying to learn how to scry... do you have any tips for a beginner? I'd really like to solidify the things I see in my dreams sometimes (that I never remember until they happen), and I'd like some more useful information than "there will be a moment in time when you move like x in y room while having z conversation with w person".

Pick a method, any method, look at the above responses LOL, and just keep at it.  Try for 5 mins every night, just before you go to bed.

I have a small crystal ball (only about 3" in diameter), which I place on a purple cloth, embroidered with runes.  I cup my hands around it and let my mind 'go'. 

Don't expect too much.  I usually get images and a sense of direction, if that makes sense.  If you practise just before you sleep, then your mind can often make sense of this 'random' information while you are asleep.

When you wake up, you may well have consolidated it into more useful information x

Be nice or go away!

#17 aefre

aefre

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:26 PM

I've been using my cat's eyes almost exclusively for scrying.  Cat lays on my chest, looks down into my eyes, pupils dilate slightly, and I do my thing.

The only thing I get when I look into my cat's eyes, and I've tried it, is "Feed Me Woman"!.  Which, quite frankly, is outrageous, coming from such a fat lazy ginger creature!!!

Be nice or go away!

#18 Turncoat

Turncoat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:46 PM

When I was a kid, I'd stay with my uncle often whose house was by a large lake. I'd daydream there a lot, and in my vacant staring would pull images sometimes out of the patterns in the sand at the shore that would come to have meaning to me as the day or week progressed. Nowhere near that lake anymore, but there's a bog right close whose moss and muck might have a language of its own. I'll get into the practice.

Tell me strange things.

#19 melshuster

melshuster

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

I often see images in the "patterns" on walls, ceilings, upholstery, clouds....just about anywhere. But I am not looking for images. I am not making any effort to scry in any fashion. Should I make a note of these images and maybe evaluate for some meaning?

#20 RapunzelGnome

RapunzelGnome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:58 PM

Sometimes they speak, sometimes not. I always take note, but I don't overanalyze unles other synchronicities give me reason to. Usually, my intuition lets me know whether my mind is just wandering and peicing together patterns, or whether it's a message. But even the mind's seemingly random pattern-finding can be an insight to the subconscious.