66 replies to this topic

#1 Aurelian

Aurelian

The Devils Enabler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 12:35 PM

I know that some of us, having practiced magic for a long, long time, essentially dedicate our lives to the practice.  Oftentimes, this leads to a sort of separation from the population at large.  Dedication is wonderful, but those benefits are, IMO, not without detrimental consequences in other areas of our lives.

What other interests do you have aside from your practices in the occult.  One of my other passions is chemistry, medical chem in particular, and it actually enhances my practice a number of different ways.

What do you guys do to stay engaged in the world, to further your knowledge, whether or not it enhances your magic?

I thought this might be a good discussion, and give others useful ideas to use along our varied paths.

So, what do you witchies do when you're not witchin?   :)

Remember, the more effective you are as a person,the more effective you will be as a witch, and perhaps we can inspire each other in other pursuits.

Edited by Aurelian, 05 April 2016 - 12:35 PM.

"The truth about the world, he said, is that anything is possible. Had you not seen it from birth and thereby bled it of its strangeness it would appear to you for what it is, a hat trick in a medicine show, a fevered dream, a trance bepopulate with chimeras having neither analogue nor precedent, an itinerant carnival, a migratory tentshow whose ultimate destination after many a pitch in many a mudded field is unspeakable and calamitous beyond reckoning." - Cormac McCarthy

#2 Llyr

Llyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:08 PM

I love the sea. I love surfing as it allows me to feel part of the ocean. Its a very spiritual experience for me. Its the same with running, I love to run the roads and the trails. I think I enjoy feeling isolated but at the same time feeling at one with nature. I feel like I am working with nature and connecting. Its like meditation for me.

#3 odalibuc

odalibuc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:28 PM

I love music and art. I taught myself how to draw with pencils and colored pencils and am teaching myself to use digital art programs. I also took three years of voice lessons (I'm a lyrical soprano), six years of piano lessons, and I'm teaching myself to play the recorder, ocarina, Native American flute, guitar, and ukulele. Out of all of those self-taught instruments, I play the ukulele the most. Playing music is a very intimate experience for me, I feel very connected to what I'm playing and the emotion behind it.

#4 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 01:41 PM

Art nature and games!

Edited by Kalinia, 01 March 2017 - 04:13 AM.

#5 travsha

travsha

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:12 PM

I'm a musician.  Been playing music for 16 years now....  Mostly singing and guitar, but also bass, drums, flutes, harmonica....  This goes well with my practice since I mostly use songs in my healing practice, but I also play lots of other music.  If I wasnt focused on being a healer, the only other job I would probably be very interested in is musician.  

Also really into nature....  Just got back from 4 days backpacking.  I love being out in the forest or in the mountains....  Having everything I need in my backpack.  It's a good feeling.  

#6 Turncoat

Turncoat

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 04:30 PM

Drawing has been my hobby for as long as I can remember. Going out and about to people-watch or collect materials for references forces me to get out of my box at least twice a week. Somewhat related, my passion for studying Japanese language actually lends to my witchery! I have a bit of a fixation on sigilization, and the use of hiragana and katakana in the crafting has been very rewarding. The sigils are aesthetic, which is important to me, and they stitch together more fluidly than when I approach the drawing with my first language.

Tell me strange things.

#7 ArcticWitch

ArcticWitch

• Former Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:01 PM

My pursuits are seasonal in nature.

Summer: fishing, hiking, nature photography, kayaking, and this year I will [hopefully, with some help] finally have a crops garden to tend.

Winter: photographing the northern lights, cooking, reading, arts and crafts.  Looking forward to taking up cross-country skiing later this year.

This year's non-seasonal goals: learn how to properly play guitar, and pick up some conversational German. 

I've gotten too old (and am too needed by others) these days for flying airplanes and travelling solo to international destinations.

#8 witchpriest

witchpriest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:31 PM

Great thread!

I am a musician and artist when I am not flying around on my broom lol. I make some side money with art (painting and pen and ink mostly). I am always trying to refine my creative skills. As for music, I am getting a band together, but my favorite thing to do with music is street performance. Raw energy as the city moves around my sounds, can't get enough!

When not following my creative interests, I volunteer as a peer counselor at the VA, just offering informal talk therapy to other veterans. I mostly work with people who served in Iraq and Afghanistan suffering with PTSD. Someone did the same when I was suicidal a year ago, and after getting back up I never forgot the support of other people who were involved in those disgusting conflicts. Sometimes all it takes is truly saying "I know exactly what you are feeling" to make someone rise like a phoenix. It is the least I can do for those slipping away. This is painful, but also very bittersweet, I wouldn't give it up for anything.

#9 westofthemoon

westofthemoon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:24 PM

My passions are: 

summer: wildcrafting, medicine-making, herbalism, getting outside, travelling, geocaching.

winter: chasing the northern lights, photography (but only with my phone)

year-round: writing -- specifically, I write historical fiction with a bit of occult flavor, whether it be mystery, young adult or just plain fiction. Otherwise, mainly fiber crafts, knitting and spinning.

Wouldst thou like to Live Deliciously? ~ "The VVitch"

Say what you know, do what you must, come what may.

#10 Mountain Witch

Mountain Witch

Practical b/witch

• Moderators
  • 3,825 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:50 PM

I try to not stay engaged in the world. (LOL) I am the quintessential introvert, in addition to just not liking the majority of the people I meet.

As most here know, when I'm not clickety-punching for my accounting clients, I write. It involves research (even for the fiction), which I adore doing.  I am involved in a technical & administrative way with the sport of fencing, giving me more than enough people contact when I'm working a tournament. (And no, I don't poke people with pointy objects & never have. I'm the type to bring a gun to a knife fight.)

In the warm months, I garden or just go walking in the woods that surround my home.

For purposes of action nothing is more useful than narrowness of thought combined with energy of will.
~ Henri Frederic Amiel

You can access my blog and get autographed copies of my books through my website

#11 PapaGheny

PapaGheny

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 April 2016 - 10:15 PM

Great topic. I tend to incorporate all the aspects of my life I can. I find many things enrich each other and narrow paths lead me to unnecessary short-sightedness.

I find I have an interest in most things and enjoy learning about most anything. These days this means a lot of reading, not often fiction but sometimes classic lit.

I enjoy the sciences in general as well as philosophy. Medical and health practices of any tradition through the ages has been eating a lot of time because health has been a growing demand for those around me the past few years.

I get into any kind of handcraft, and really making just about anything.

I like long camping trips. I spend a lot of time around animals, and enjoy working outside, gardening farm work, and the like.

Yep, this all pretty much all solo stuff. I don't really talk to folk unless they need something.

#12 Nera

Nera

• Seekers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:58 PM

What a great topic! And you guys are such interesting people with lots of fun passions.

So, what do I do when I'm not witchin'?

I go to school to become a Clinical Psychologist. I'm in my last year and now I'm working on an assignment. I'm on the internet a lot, browsing on PubMed mostly to find scientific researches on personality disorders in particular.

I engage in a few sports: cycling, running and Krav Maga training. Lots of physical activity keeps me grounded.

Also, love to travel and visit interesting festivals, concerts and museums.

And I volunteer as a Dutch language teacher to the refugees.

Edited by Nera, 06 April 2016 - 05:00 PM.

"There are some who may seem -seem not- as others seem,

who walk life's ragged mile

hid' beneath Man's common guise.

Yet such are they that seem by day,

who walk abroad by night."

#13 Gyreleaf

Gyreleaf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:10 PM

I have a major passion for Forensic Anthropology. The amount of information you can get just by looking at bones is astounding. A lecturer at uni turned me onto it by the care and respect she had for the bones of the deceased and the way she talked about the utmost importance of looking after the remains and giving them a voice so that where possible they can be reunited with family. It just rang so true to me in some of the ways I work with the dead.

I try to volunteer when possible at archeological digs which sadly isn't so often. It does give me chance to practice some witching techniques at finding stuff, the look on people's faces when they find the good stuff after I told them to dig a few inches away is priceless.

I have always wanted to write a novel so lately I have been practising writing and hanging out with local writers. Toying with the idea of a novel about a Witch who is a forensic anthropologist.

#14 sagemoonmama

sagemoonmama

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:09 PM

I read all the time - I constantly have a pile of new fiction books waiting for me. I also love hiking and camping and binge-watching Netflix. I've recently started learning how to crochet and I can always go for a good horror movie. I love being out in nature, but I don't prefer busy public places and can be a bit of a homebody, especially during colder months 😜

#15 melshuster

melshuster

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:18 PM

hahaha....my sisters tell me I am just weird....I love Khan Academy, Coursera and Udemy. I have a wall lined with math and algebra books. I used to love being around people. Lately, however, I prefer my alone time. People generally bother me.

#16 ErinnAinsley

ErinnAinsley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:51 AM

Lately I've found cooking and baking is becoming more and more meditative and a refuge/escape from daily stressors... And I get to make a bit of money on the side w/the baking which is a bonus.
I miss a number of hobbies I had before I took off to school and dropped a lot of it to focus on studies. Goals right now certainly include getting back into painting and drawing. Eventually.

#17 Aina

Aina

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:38 AM

I used to make music and write (still write...maybe) but I've moved onto crafts, mainly making jewelry and dolls.

#18 Aronses

Aronses

• Seekers
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:50 AM

I'm really into video games, they take up an disproportionately large part of my time. I'm also into playing music(basically only the clarinet,) and I watch lots of YouTube, as well as shows, cartoon or live action. But yeah, I mostly do the video games.

#19 NorthernPilgrim

NorthernPilgrim

Advanced Member

• Seekers
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:06 PM

I don't know if it's a practice but I'm into stories, in all medium. I read a lot (and write sometimes). I enjoy hearing stories and telling stories. And yeah I play video games with good stories (or poetic experience) in them.  

#20 Kalinia

Kalinia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 05:12 PM

I just have to ask, since several are in to video games. Has anyone played the walking dead games? Please no spoilers, but I just finished the first game and cried like a baby throughout it! LOVE IT!